Can I upgrade multisession CD with latest Puppy iso?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1 Post by Lobster »

Good news!

I am giving Puppy as a pressy and I am wondering can I wipe a MS (multi-session) RW and upgrade to the new Puppy beta? Should be able too right - gonna try . . . anyone done that?

My Brother in law(lessness) has an old laptop (with practically no RAM - that means 256meg apparantly - LOL) and "Tardis" 107 on minidisk would be way too kewl . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm not certain that I understand what you mean. I haven't tried upgrading a multisession CD (actually DVD in my case, but I believe the principle is the same) to a later version of Puppy except by erasing the disk and starting over with the new iso. I figure upgrading a multisession CD could only be done by burning a new CD (or DVD) with the new iso and then transferring to it all the stuff you want to keep from the old CD. Even if you did figure out a way to replace the old version of Puppy without erasing the whole disk, it seems to me that any apps you might have "installed", or settings you made, that were saved in later sessions might not work with the new Puppy, so you would have to test that. If you pull it off, let us know how, eh? :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

what I am trying to do is clear a RW of Multisession and place 107b on it - this would seem entirely possible (just wondering if multi session Sizzlers did something weird to a RW not making thiem burnable as a normal ISO?)

Hope that is clearer :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

flavour

#4 Post by flavour »

This should be totally fine - erase will give you back all the space :)

I would guess that you could even 'upgrade' an older version by simply copying pup001 to HDD & then burning back, no?
(I've not used multisession)