Multisession CD not saving correctly at shutdown

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Perkins

Multisession CD not saving correctly at shutdown

#1 Post by Perkins »

With a multisession CD, sometimes when I tell the machine to reboot or powerdown the confirmation dialogue asking whether or not to burn the changes does not work properly. Pressing any key returns to the command prompt. Calling the other script (shutdown if I told it to reboot and vice versa.) makes it perform properly. Also, continually pressing the tab key makes it go back to the selection eventually. I have no idea what's doing this. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of machine I run it on, or what I do with it while it's running.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I have a similar problem with multisession DVD. It seems to occur only when Puppy needs to save a large amount at shutdown, like after I installed OpenOffice.

kayjay

multisession? not working at all

#3 Post by kayjay »

i consider multisession puppy linux to be a killer OS... unfortunatelly it doesnt work for me at all.

i tried 1.0.6 multisession

i tried 1.0.7 burned in TAO without closing session and selected option 5 at boot

i tried mini cd-rw (8cm) and 12cm cd-rw

i tried BAK2CD or whatever that app is called (saves to cd-r multisession without having to reboot), it complains about the cd-rw not being multisession, then erases the cd-rw and puts the changes there (dir: 2005-12-12-12 or whatever) instead of amending it to the already existing content.

saving changes at reboot doesnt work (packet error or something).

i dont not know what else i can try... im getting frustrated!

Perkins

#4 Post by Perkins »

Mine doesn't seem to care how much data it's saving anymore. It always messes up when I shut it down.

Kayjay, make sure your disk really was burned as a multisession. Personally I havn't had much luck with making RWs work either, but I think it's something about my machine.

kayjay-guest

CD-RW not compatible?

#5 Post by kayjay-guest »

it was REALLY burned as multisession , i imported the session in nero to check. seems like there is a bug or a problem with CD-RW,

i just burned puppy linux multisession 1.0.6 to CD-R and it saved changes back to cd at reboot.

before puppy linux complained about the CD-RW NOT being multisession in Bak2CD program and at reboot... maybe there is a problem with the iso , i dont know... but i was REALLY looking forward to using puppy linux on a MINI CD-RW (8cm) as i do not download a lot off the internet and the 210mb of available storage space is sufficient.

ill try later with a MINI DVD-RW that i got here, but that wouldnt be optimal because most pc come with a CD Burner even those old ones, with DVD-RW you always got the problem that you wont be able to save changes on someone elses old PC (e.g. 333MHZ Pentium2 with a 2x Mitsumi CD-Burner)

Re: CD-RW not compatible?

#6 Post by Guest »

kayjay-guest wrote:it was REALLY burned as multisession , i imported the session in nero to check. seems like there is a bug or a problem with CD-RW,

i just burned puppy linux multisession 1.0.6 to CD-R and it saved changes back to cd at reboot.

before puppy linux complained about the CD-RW NOT being multisession in Bak2CD program and at reboot... maybe there is a problem with the iso , i dont know... but i was REALLY looking forward to using puppy linux on a MINI CD-RW (8cm) as i do not download a lot off the internet and the 210mb of available storage space is sufficient.

ill try later with a MINI DVD-RW that i got here, but that wouldnt be optimal because most pc come with a CD Burner even those old ones, with DVD-RW you always got the problem that you wont be able to save changes on someone elses old PC (e.g. 333MHZ Pentium2 with a 2x Mitsumi CD-Burner)

not bootable anymore on lappy, ill try later on my desktop pc... can i just burn the 2005-12-14-XXXX folders to a different cd (multisession) and leave the distro as SINGLE-SESSION on another cd?

kayjay

#7 Post by kayjay »

apparently 1.0.7BETA includes some bugfixes that alpha doesnt have. multisession works now on my amilo m1425, saving at reboot/restart works 100%.

i burned the BETA iso with nero 7 and used track-at-once and
"do not close image". and used option 5 from boot-menu.

now i have to add WIFI intel 2200BG driver in puppy linux... :)

Ted Dog

improvements also noted

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

I usally burn a MS- CD for checking new releases (alpha/beta etc) I found the newest 107beta to be a solid performer. Saving and loading seem faster and less problematic.

kayjay-guest

oh oh...

#9 Post by kayjay-guest »

still doesnt work properly for me... i dont know what the problem is

i installed ipw2200 wifi driver and configured it, then i wanted to reboot so that changes are saved. ipw2200 didnt work after reboot, the tgz with the driver disappereared from /root. i then copied the tgz back to /root dir and
rebooted... NOW the X wizard popped up? i couldnt select any resolution that worked for me.

p.s. ive seen several errors when puppy multisession booted... packet this or that etc...

Ted_not_logged_in_Dog

common compressed files are moved to archive

#10 Post by Ted_not_logged_in_Dog »

as a space saver most commpressed files are scan for and automatically placed in Arcive folder. I noticed that my 'background' did not stick after a reload, unsure why.
this problem popsup in betas, it will properly work out by the full release.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: CD-RW not compatible?

#11 Post by Lobster »

kayjay-guest wrote: but i was REALLY looking forward to using puppy linux on a MINI CD-RW (8cm) as i do not download a lot off the internet and the 210mb of available storage space is sufficient.
Me too. It seems set up for DVD (certainly a good thing) but told me my DVD was full (Puppy 1.0.6) In other words did not support my mini CD RW set up. I gave these out as presents but will have to support them by email as standard Puppys. Does MS work with full size CD's - what is the current state of sizzling (burning)? We need to know where we are in reality - not just best case possibility.

Does a 2 minidisk setup work? In other word one to boot from and one to save to? Or minidisk and USB keydrive? Need to know. Need to support the working situation. Need the ideal recommendation for CD users (DVD not yet universal)

Thanks as ever guys.
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tony

Multi-session Puppy with CD

#12 Post by Tony »

I've used MS Puppy with CD-R and CD-RW, both 8 cm and full size and had no problems until 1.0.6. I can't get this to work with any size or type of writable CD (and I don't have a DVD-RW drive, so I'd like it to work with CD). I get the same error as Lobster - DVD is full.