Booting, installing, newbie
vek

pup-431.sfs not found

#1 Post by vek »

My IBM Thinkpad :
Pentium III 933 MHZ
129,968 KB RAM
MS Windows 2000 SP3

I recently bought a Puppy Linux live CD from LinuxCd.org but when I try to run the live CD, I get this error message: "pup-431.sfs not found...dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...#.

Please help...I am a complete newbie to Linux.

Thank you.

T_Hobbit

#2 Post by T_Hobbit »

On Windows, if you access the CD, which files does you see on the CD?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

vek

#3 Post by vek »

the files on the CD:
BOOT
BOOT
HELP
INITRD
ISOLINUX
ISOLINUX.CFG
LOGO.16
PUP 431.SFS
VMLINUZ

T_Hobbit

#4 Post by T_Hobbit »

T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

vek wrote:the files on the CD:
BOOT
BOOT
HELP
INITRD
ISOLINUX
ISOLINUX.CFG
LOGO.16
PUP 431.SFS
VMLINUZ
Unless you types it on purpose, file names should be in lower case.
Also it isn't PUP 431.SFS but pup-431.sfs (unless it's a typo as well)
Last edited by Béèm on Thu 05 Nov 2009, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi vek,

Welcome to puppy.

Unfortunately, it looks like LinuxCd.org sent you a defective CD unless you made some typos in your post. Files should be: boot.cat, boot.msg, help.msg, intrd.gz, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, logo.16, pup-431.sfs, and vmlinuz.

All the file names should be in lower case, and pup-431.sfs is missing the dash. Although, if you used Window explorer to copy the contents into your post, it may have switched cases, but it wouldn't have dropped the "-" and left out part of the file names.

If you'd like to download a new copy, it's at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/

Beem beat me to the post, but there is a little additional info.

vek

#7 Post by vek »

NO, these are not typos....I copied them exactly as they appeared on the CD (through Windows Explorer).

I noticed the missing dash as well.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

Then Jim1911's assumption could be correct, that you have a faulty CD. Unless you have a slow connection, like dial-up, it's very easy to download the iso and burn it. If you have a CD/DVD burner device for sure.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

frefel

#9 Post by frefel »

What a coincidence. I just downloaded the iso 4.3 from the Puppy site, checked the md5SUM (ok) and burned a CD. When I insert it in my laptop I get this:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives - done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup-430.sfs not found
Dropping out to initial ramdisk console
/bin/sh can't access tty: job control turned off
(flashing cursor)

I got it from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... puppy-4.3/ and the pup save is not missing the dash although all the files are in upper case as seen from Windows.

I've never seen this from a live Puppy CD before (prev. versions) and I have no idea of what to do.

Jim1911

#10 Post by Jim1911 »

@frefel
Converting linux files from lower to upper case apparently is a Windows explorer characteristic, however that would not affect the files on the CD. Although, if you use Windows explorer to copy the files to a directory (maybe for a frugal installation) on the hard drive, you must rename each file using the lower case.

Incidently, pup 431 is the latest and has repaired bugs found in 430, consider trying it.

frefel

#11 Post by frefel »

Thanks Jim1911

Since I was working directly from a burned CD I don't know the status of the file naming on it but I've never had a problem before with Puppy CDs. I also looked at my 4.2.1 disk and sure enuf its naming is upper case from Windows so I think you are right about Windows changing the lettering. And, by the way, that CD brings up the boot menu and boots normally on my machine (TP T22). Could it have something to do with a kernel change and my old laptop?

Interestingly also I burned a BrowserLinux CD to try out and it also came up with the "can't find pup.sfs" message. This is all wierd but I'll try the 4.3.1 although I'm not optimistic.

Addendum;
The 4.3 CD works on my destop machine fine, 4.31 doesn't work on my old laptop and the 4.21 does work on the laptop so now I'm guessing it's a kernel incompatability with my IBM T22. Is there a work around or should I just stay with the older version of Puppy?

Jim1911

#12 Post by Jim1911 »

frefel,

You may want to try the retro version of 431 that Barry provided. Another possibility is dpup-477b which uses the earlier kernal. It's a beta version, however, I find it very fast and stable on my old Sony laptop/
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

vek

#13 Post by vek »

T_Hobbit,

I tried your suggestion all the way to Step 4 but I am still getting the same message: pup-431.sfs not found...dropping out to initial-ramdisk console
/bin/sh: can't access tty;job control turned off.

To all others,

I burned a new ISO image of the Puppy Linux Live CD but I am getting exactly the same message.

Please help. Thanks everybody...I will wait for more suggestions.

Jim1911

#14 Post by Jim1911 »

vek,

Have you tried to install it or are you just booting it from the CD? If so, your file may have been misplaced.

Try booting with CD and when the boot delays to allow you to enter code, enter "puppy pfix=ram" (without quotes). Puppy will then boot from the CD and load the pup-431.sfs into ram.

Provide us details as to how this worked and if you have already tried to install it, describe what you did, your drive configuration, etc. and someone may be able to help.

Jim

vek

#15 Post by vek »

Thanks, Jim1911.

I'm running from the Live CD (not ready to install yet) and I tried:
"puppy pfix=ram" (without the quotes) and got exactly the same error message as before.

I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks, everybody.

Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

You're very wise to run from a live CD before committing to an installation to make sure it works on your hardware.

You may have another defective CD or possibly you need a different kernel for your computer. Are all the correct files as indicated earlier present?

Try a retro version of 4.2.1 or another retro version that you could try is dpup-477beta1 which, although in beta, is more up-to-date and is very fast and stable. See http://www.dpup.org/downloads.html to download.

Try burning your CD at a slower speed.

Don't get discouraged, there are numerous puppy derivatives available that should work on your hardware. Once, you find the right one, you'll be amazed at the speed and added capability your pup will provide your hardware.

Jim

T_Hobbit

#17 Post by T_Hobbit »

vek wrote:T_Hobbit,

I tried your suggestion all the way to Step 4 but I am still getting the same message: pup-431.sfs not found...dropping out to initial-ramdisk console
/bin/sh: can't access tty;job control turned off.

To all others,

I burned a new ISO image of the Puppy Linux Live CD but I am getting exactly the same message.

Please help. Thanks everybody...I will wait for more suggestions.
Rename the files to the correct names and in lowercase, like told you in another post of this thread. It should work after.
DON'T FORGET TO WRITE IT RIGHT: pup-431.sfs AND NOT pup_431.sfs
T_Hobbit

MinHundHettePerro

#18 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

1) Just a thought, I'm no expert at hardware, though, could it be that the CD-drive in question needs special drivers to be included in initrd.gz?

2) Another (long-shot): In 214X, we had problems with running out of inodes in initrd.gz, when having many partitions, causing the same symptoms, dropping out to command line in initial ramdisk.
Once you're dropped out there, could you run mount, df, and df -i and relay the output therefrom?

fwiw :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

T_Hobbit

#19 Post by T_Hobbit »

This problem with the file name's happens when the ISO is burned at Windows, it doesn't handle right the file names. It happened to me also.

Go to your HD puppy directory and rename the files to the correct names and in lowercase, like told in another post of this thread. It should work after.
NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO WRITE IT RIGHT: pup-431.sfs AND NOT pup_431.sfs! (not screaming - just to call your attention to this point)
T_Hobbit

frefel

#20 Post by frefel »

Vek;

Did you see my 2 posts in this thread? Why don't you think you are having the same problem as I?

My TP T22 is also a Pent. 3 model and I am getting the same message on boot-up from the 4.3 live CD. You will see, based on my efforts, that the problem is apparently the newer kernel in the 4.3 version being incompatible with our older processor. Bummer, but I'm going to try the Retro version as suggested by T Hobbit.

Interestingly the Puppy update description mentions that the new kernel is designed to work with newer chips but that it will still function with the older ones - we say not true.