pup-431.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
HOMEFLASH

PUP-431.SFS NOT FOUND RESOLUTION - LOWER VERSION!

#76 Post by HOMEFLASH »

Indeed, I had the same problem, and there is nothing wrong with the CD because I have tried the other pc, it is the kernel problem and yes, the other version works perfectly.

puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso

you can download it from here..

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

vtpup

#77 Post by vtpup »

I just installed 4.3.1 on a friend's A22 thinkpad. I'm writing on it now.

You probably need not the "retro" version, since nowadays there are several "retro" versions. You need specifically the 2.6.21.7 scsi modems version from here:

Ibiblio Special 4.3.1 Puppies

I believe that Puppy 431 loses the Thinkpad's SCSI-ish CDROM when installing because later kernels are missing support for it.

Also remember that internal parallel ide drives are called hda instead of sda when using the 2.6.21.7 kernel -- if you are writing a Grub menu.lst entry by hand.

EDIT:

As the above poster mentioned, same kernel works on earlier Puppy 4 series, but you don't have to use 4.1.2, you can use 4.3.1 in my link.

Dpup doesn't have a 2.6.21.7 kernel even in the Dpup477 version mentioned in an earlier post.

recycler

portege

#78 Post by recycler »

Puppy 431 runs well in the portege with 128mb ram. I even use wine and faststone imageviewer. Only one window at a time though....

The optical drive which came with my machine didn't work though so the way I install is to remove the hard drive from the toshiba. Use a laptop hard drive adaptor to connect it to my desktop machine. Install puppy (frugal install btw) and pop the drive back in the machine. Older versions of puppy (pre dingo) need the toshiba laptop fix.

Tonight trying to get pupp working on a toshiba portege 3010ct with 32 meg of ram. Not going well! have tried 412 - hangs loading kernel modules. Tried meanpup 2.02 - problems with display. Tuuxxes firehydrant lite looks like it will work - but not with xvesa and need the toshiba laptop fix.... have tried for hours and going to pop the original win 98 drive back in soon!

Good luck with the 3110ct though - it WILL work really well.
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

geofflev

pup-431.sfs not found

#79 Post by geofflev »

Just thought I'd confirm;

On my TP 600E, with the 4.3.1 live CD, I could only get past the "pup-431.sfs not found" error by using F2 followed by "puppy acpi=force". But had to do the "puppy acpi=force" every time I booted, even when using the save pup files at shutdown.

So I burnt another CD with pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems.iso. Works fine so far!

Going on to wifi card, net card, printer, etc.

Thanks to everybody in this post. I was ready to give up on Puppy and go back to DSL or even Linux 6.2. Ubuntu is just toooo slow on this ancient, but venerable, machine.

vtpup

#80 Post by vtpup »

Yup, the 2.6.21.7 kernel 4.3.1 works fine on a Thinkpad 600e.I'm writing this on one now.

I'm interested to read however that you were able to boot a late kernel 4.3.1 on the 600e by using acpi=force. I'll have to try that.

While it sounds like you were loading off of a CD, do you know that you can make a frugal with acpi=force cheatcode in the Grub menu.lst?

I'm going to see if I can get a late kernel version working on this machine that way.

I've also noticed that the 4.3.1 installer adds 4 files to a frugal, not just the old three of the pup, initrd.gz, and vmlinuz. The 4th file in my case was named IDEHD, and looks to be the same extra file that gets installed with the wakepup option I believe. So I'm wondering if there is a new script portion running to identify boot drives from an identifier file even on standard frugal installs.

That might explain some of the problems a few of us have been having when we do the manual frugal install of copying the 3 (but should be 4) essential files to a puppy directory. If now 4 files are needed that might explain why some older machines get lost in the boot process. Dunno, just a guess.

Anyway, going to try the acpi=force on the 600e with a new kernel 4.3.1.....

charlie6

#81 Post by charlie6 »

Hi frefel,
frefel wrote:What a coincidence. I just downloaded the iso 4.3 from the Puppy site, checked the md5SUM (ok) and burned a CD. When I insert it in my laptop I get this: ...bla bli bla ...
I've never seen this from a live Puppy CD before (prev. versions) and I have no idea of what to do.
Better late than never...
How did you burn your iso NORMAL or MULTIsession?
Using "Burniso2cd": burning isos as MULTIsession has solved the boot-up problem from live-cds on my laptop ! (there are some threads in this forum reporting this)

for info: my Laptop is PIII 600MHz 192MBRam MEDION LT9399 silicon graphics video

hope this could help
cheers, charlie

yorkiesnorkie

How I got past the pup-431.sfs not found" error

#82 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi, I was getting the same error, pup-430.sfs not found. My experience was this:

I had a full install of 4.00 already on the PC, (IBM 380 XD P2 w mmx, 96 mb of ram). I had an ext2 partition and a linux swap. When I tried to run the standard live CD for 4.30 I got the error. No amount of the CLI entries, such as puppy pfix=ram, or acpi=force, would made that live CD run. Very mysterious...

What I ended up doing was this:
  • I booted up with my Puppy 3.0 live CD and using G-parted I deleted both the ext2 and linux-swap partitions. So Puppy 4.00 was gone.
    I created two new partitions, one ext2 (800mb) and one linux-swap (2.5 x my ram, 192mb).
    Quit Puppy 3 without saving a pup save file.
    Then I re-booted the PC with the 4.30 live CD using the puppy pfix=ram entry. Behold the Live CD boots! Why? Don't know but I give myself a pat on the back and my Yorkie a biscuit, everyone is happy.
    Once I get past configuration and to the desktop I perform the full install.
    As part of the install I choose to install grub automatically standard console mbr mod, etc., and check menu.lst just to be sure everything is ok when its finished. I typically add "default=1" and "timeout=10" to the menu.lst file because "0" is my fat 32 partition with Windows 98SE, so linux will boot automatically after 10 seconds.
    Quit Puppy 4.30 without saving a pup save file
    I boot the PC and voila, configure the keyboard etc..., it works! :D
    Then I install the 4.3.1 pet which upgrades 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 which is important since the default grammar checking in 4.30 kills Abiword's performance off.
That's how I got 4.31 installed.

Yorkiesnorkie
:D

yorkiesnorkie

Circumstances of the Live CD burn

#83 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

The live CD I made for 4.30 was a final burn, and at 1x or 4x. I got the ISO from Ibiblio. I created the live CD on our other desktop using Puppy to Burn the ISO to CD. This desktop runs 4.00 Dingo. [My spouse loves bubbles and she won't let me upgrade it... Bubbles wasn't in 4.3.1.]

So, there was nothing windows related to bork up the CD burn. Nevertheless I still got the pup-430.sfs not found" error. I'll look at the CD later this weekend and see if there's still an underscore in the filename.

Yorkiesnorkie
:)

DWilson

#84 Post by DWilson »

I'm getting the same error on an Acer Aspire ONE. Intel Atom cpu, 1 GB RAM, no CD/DVD drive. I'm trying to boot off of an SD card and I don't want Puppy to touch the hard drives at all. Using unetbootin I was able to make a LiveUSB which booted properly and install Puppy to the SD card, the pup-431.sfs file DID have the dash and NOT the underscore. The issue arises when I try to boot from that SD card, it throws out the same error as previously mentioned. Interestingly if I type ./init at the terminal there it appears to try booting again, this time getting past the initial error and dropping me to a terrminal after "Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...#" I also have an encrypted save file on the SD card if that helps.

jeditalian

#85 Post by jeditalian »

i just downloaded and burned pup431 and go the same results. the problem was that this time i used IMGBURN and it named everything in caps, and made pup-431 into PUP_431. if you open the original .iso, nothing is in caps. idk what i use to use to burn .iso (probably Nero), but i def. need to get it back. stupid IMGBURN wasting my cd-r.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#86 Post by Béèm »

jeditalian wrote:i just downloaded and burned pup431 and go the same results. the problem was that this time i used IMGBURN and it named everything in caps, and made pup-431 into PUP_431. if you open the original .iso, nothing is in caps. idk what i use to use to burn .iso (probably Nero), but i def. need to get it back. stupid IMGBURN wasting my cd-r.
I never had a problem with imgburn. On the other site, Nero gave me problems.
And do as I do, use RW CD/DVD's
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

windowsuser

pup-431.sfs not found, first time booting from hard drive

#87 Post by windowsuser »

Hi to everyone here. I am trying Linux for the first time after using windows since the early windows dos days. I settled on trying Linux Puppy because it is lightweight and should give me a good introduction to Linux and should work on my machine, or so I hope. And I hear good things about Linux Puppy.

I can't get past pup-431.sfs not found. It gives the error message.
I am loading directly from my hard drive using the method outlined on icpug.org to have a Linux and Windows dual boot, using Grub for dos.

How do I get past pup-431.sfs not found?

This is my first venture into Linux and now I know why I stuck with windows all these years. I never had a problem ever loading windows, any version on countless machines. I would really like to get Puppy to work. If this light distribution can't work I don't have much hope for any of the bigger ones.

My spec: Mobile Celeron 1.8 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, 256 KB L2 cache.
If it works I will try it on my other laptop.
I don't want to try an earlier distribution and I don't want to have to play with code.
I will change my avatar if I get Linux to work and it is better than windows

windowsuser

#88 Post by windowsuser »

Never mind. I thought maybe there would be some active reply. I managed to figure it out after going through every step many times to see where I may have been making an error. I got it booted up in Puppy. Now, I need to set up my T-mobile dongle mobile broadband. I have posted this query under a separate post.

First impressions: not as nice as XP, but faster for some operations. Still early impressions.

ccmcc

pup-431.sfs not found [solution]

#89 Post by ccmcc »

I had the same issue, "pup-431.sfs not found", on a IBM ThinkPad T22 (PIII 900MHz, 384 RAM, BIOS 16ET26WW).

I believe the problem has to do with an acpi bug in the BIOS.

While booting from a Debian (lenny) CD I noticed the kernel complaining about not being able to access acpi functionality on the board. In addition, I was able to get around the "pup-431.sfs not found" issue by using "puppy acpi=force". The BIOS patch notes between 16ET26WW and 16ET32WW (latest as of this writing) do include several items related to acpi.

Running Windows XP, I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS patch from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... VWPPU.html.

Now Puppy 4.3.1 boots fine.

ieee488

Re: pup-431.sfs not found

#90 Post by ieee488 »

geofflev wrote:Just thought I'd confirm;

On my TP 600E, with the 4.3.1 live CD, I could only get past the "pup-431.sfs not found" error by using F2 followed by "puppy acpi=force". But had to do the "puppy acpi=force" every time I booted, even when using the save pup files at shutdown.
I also have a TP 600E.

I did a full install on my hard drive from the Live CD using puppy acpi=force.

I added acpi=force to menu.lst file.

Seems to be okay.

Get a screen full of characters at shutdown after X is stopped but the screen dump goes away.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#91 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

You could try these Distros:
Puppy 4.2.1
Puppy 4.2.1 Retro
Puppy 4.0.0

As always after downloading a Puppy, run the md5sum program against each to make sure you have a clean download.

On older PCs I have found that one of the above Distros will work in 99 percent of cases.

Punky

#92 Post by Punky »

Hello, I'm new in this forum and i need your help, because i'm getting crazy with an issue.... :cry:

I tried to use Puppy 5.01 on an embedded pc with a ECM-3711 Mobo and it works fine. I booted it from a USB pen (1GB) and it's all ok, so I decided to make an installation to an external USB HD (Mats. 40 GB). I prepared the disk:

part. 1) 3 GB ext2, boot flag for puppy
part. 2) 36 GB ext2, for personal data
part. 3) 500 MB swap (i have 256 MB ram)

I used the universal installer to install puppy 5.01 on the disk, but every time i reboot i got this error:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives....DONE

Searching
for Puppy files in computer disk drives... lupu-501.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turns off.
#_

but actually it works from the pen drive!
So it's not the BIOS. The file is obviously there and it's written correcly (no uppecase or other). I even tried to rename it to lupu_501.sfs, but it doesn't work.
I tried different mbr during installation, and I even tried to change the external disk, but i can only get puppy to work from the usb pen. Same issue with Lupu 510.

I tried to search for any other advice here in the forum, but i'm out of ideas.

Please, do you have suggestions? I'm going crazyyyyyyyyyyy :x

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is the USB drive bootable with GRUB? If so, please post the menu.lst file from the folder /boot/grub.

Or is it bootable with syslinux? If so, post the syslinux.cfg file.

Punky

#94 Post by Punky »

I don't have the files you mentioned in my hard drive.
Here is the list of all the files i have in the primary partition:

extlinux.conf
extlinux.sys
initrd.gz
lupu-501.sfs
vmlinuz

I didn't install grub. I thought that the installer would actually install the files i needed for the boot, in fact the USB pen has the same files and it works :(

Do you think that a grub (or syslinux) installation will fix my issue? How can i do that?
Sorry but i'm a newby with linux.

Thanks in advance.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please post your extlinux.conf file.