pup-431.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#91 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

You could try these Distros:
Puppy 4.2.1
Puppy 4.2.1 Retro
Puppy 4.0.0

As always after downloading a Puppy, run the md5sum program against each to make sure you have a clean download.

On older PCs I have found that one of the above Distros will work in 99 percent of cases.

Punky

#92 Post by Punky »

Hello, I'm new in this forum and i need your help, because i'm getting crazy with an issue.... :cry:

I tried to use Puppy 5.01 on an embedded pc with a ECM-3711 Mobo and it works fine. I booted it from a USB pen (1GB) and it's all ok, so I decided to make an installation to an external USB HD (Mats. 40 GB). I prepared the disk:

part. 1) 3 GB ext2, boot flag for puppy
part. 2) 36 GB ext2, for personal data
part. 3) 500 MB swap (i have 256 MB ram)

I used the universal installer to install puppy 5.01 on the disk, but every time i reboot i got this error:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives....DONE

Searching
for Puppy files in computer disk drives... lupu-501.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turns off.
#_

but actually it works from the pen drive!
So it's not the BIOS. The file is obviously there and it's written correcly (no uppecase or other). I even tried to rename it to lupu_501.sfs, but it doesn't work.
I tried different mbr during installation, and I even tried to change the external disk, but i can only get puppy to work from the usb pen. Same issue with Lupu 510.

I tried to search for any other advice here in the forum, but i'm out of ideas.

Please, do you have suggestions? I'm going crazyyyyyyyyyyy :x

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is the USB drive bootable with GRUB? If so, please post the menu.lst file from the folder /boot/grub.

Or is it bootable with syslinux? If so, post the syslinux.cfg file.

Punky

#94 Post by Punky »

I don't have the files you mentioned in my hard drive.
Here is the list of all the files i have in the primary partition:

extlinux.conf
extlinux.sys
initrd.gz
lupu-501.sfs
vmlinuz

I didn't install grub. I thought that the installer would actually install the files i needed for the boot, in fact the USB pen has the same files and it works :(

Do you think that a grub (or syslinux) installation will fix my issue? How can i do that?
Sorry but i'm a newby with linux.

Thanks in advance.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please post your extlinux.conf file.

Punky

#96 Post by Punky »

Here is the file. Only one line:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbhd no smp

Meanwhile i tried different methods for installation and this is the result:

1) if i use the "BootFlash USB installer" both for the USB pen and for the disk the system works.
But I don't like this solutions, because the installer deletes all the partition in the disk and it forces only one FAT partition (and i really need a swap), and then the installation is frugal (and i prefer a true installation)

2) if I use the Universal Installer it's impossible for me to boot the system both on the USB drive and the USB pen. I tried different MBRs but no change.
The universal installer doesn't ask if i wish to install grub.

Thanks for your help
Attachments
extlinux.zip
(176 Bytes) Downloaded 481 times

rcrsn51

#97 Post by rcrsn51 »

Punky wrote: I tried different MBRs but no change.
Because your machine did start to boot, your current MBR is fine. Changing it will have no effect on getting Puppy to start.
and then the installation is frugal (and i prefer a true installation)
Your current ext install IS frugal. That's the only install method that Puppy uses on a USB device. Read here for more info.
if i use the "BootFlash USB installer" both for the USB pen and for the disk the system works.
This is strange. The only different between Bootflash and the Universal Installer is that the first uses the syslinux bootloader with a FAT partition and the second uses extlinux on your ext2 partition.

As a test, I partitioned a USB hard drive with ext2 like yours and installed Luci-219 using the Universal Installer. It worked fine. I don't know why your setup will not work.
But I don't like this solutions, because the installer deletes all the partition in the disk and it forces only one FAT partition (and i really need a swap)
Here is a solution. Once you have the drive working with Bootflash, run Gparted. Shrink your current FAT partition and add the other partitions you need.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#98 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

Here is another way of putting Puppy 501 on a USB Stick.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-lucid- ... m-windows/

Then afterwards run Puppy from CD (using the puppy pfix=ram boot parameter) and use Gparted to shrink the partition on the USB Stick and add other partitions as you like.
Steve

Punky

#99 Post by Punky »

Thanks rcrsn51 and looseSCREWorTWO for the replies.
After many issues (and beers) i decided to buy a 4GB CF card, so now i installed puppy there and it boots ok. The external HD will serve for data (which i want to share with my windows systems) and swap.

It will be my low-power fanless system for file sharing and file server 8)

looseSCREWorTWO

#100 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

I've just ordered a 6gb CF MicroDrive on eBay. Plus an adaptor so the MicroDrive can function as an internal HDD. I've had a USB Stick acting as a "pretend" HDD, but decided to lash out $20 on the above. I'm planning on having Puppy 431 Retro and Windows 2000 as a dual-boot. It's all good fun.
Steve

rsksmiles

Is this the solution ??

#101 Post by rsksmiles »

Hello I am installing puppy 431 on a fujitsu siemens ltc 500.

I have puppy 431 running from the internal ide hdd and I have used the utilities to create a bootable usb flash drive. I have then plugged in the cf card into and ide adapter and replaced the hdd with the cf.

On rebooting I had exactly the same problem. puppy had set the pmedia to be usbflash, I set it to be idehd and everything works fine.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Is this the solution ??

#102 Post by Béèm »

rsksmiles wrote:Hello I am installing puppy 431 on a fujitsu siemens ltc 500.

I have puppy 431 running from the internal ide hdd and I have used the utilities to create a bootable usb flash drive. I have then plugged in the cf card into and ide adapter and replaced the hdd with the cf.

On rebooting I had exactly the same problem. puppy had set the pmedia to be usbflash, I set it to be idehd and everything works fine.
It is a bad idea:
- to use an old thread
- to use a thread of which the subject doesn't reflect your issue.

Open a new thread.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

robaer

same symptoms and it was the Windows CD issue for me

#103 Post by robaer »

Hi, I am replying to this thread because it was one of the top hits when I was googling for an answer to this same problem I was having (the cant find sfs file message) and another linux forum had linked to this thread too for their users experiencing similar issues... ao I am hoping to save someone else a lot of digging.

My symptoms were the same... and it was first time burning an ISO image for linux on a non-linux system for me that was source of problem. My windows 7-64 system is where I grabbed the ISO for a 5.2 Wary Puppy install that I wanted to do on an old Pentium III laptop I had kicking around. I noticed that when using a good ISO viewer on the source ISO (which I checked with MD5 etc to ensure it was good) that the filenames were properly mixed case and full length (ie puppy_wary_5.2.sfs) but when I would burn the ISO to CD it would change to PUPPY_WA.SFS
(ISO 9660 standard that converts to 7.3 for backwards windows compatibility I assume)

I tried a bunch of different ISO burners I had (from freeware like IMGBURN to a licensed Nero) and could not figure out how to get the "take existing ISO and create a CD with long filenames" thing to work. I could take and extract the ISO to a directory and then burn the CD from a build of that directory (and some allowed me to specify UDF to store long filenames when doing a build... but not a burn from ISO) and I figured I could get that to work... but it bugged me that I couldn't take the source ISO file and simply tell windows to make me a CD without it messing up the filenames.

I then tried to just use the CD with the "pupsfs=" parm to over-ride the sfs to use (keying in the path and capitols) it would get farther and try to load but bomb on a kernal exception... and after a good 4 hours and at least 10 CD's now as coasters I gave up trying.

I switched to plan B and did the following.
1 - extract the puppy_wary_5.2.sfs file to disk (which I could do with the ISO viewer and even some of the ISO burners I had as part of their other features... and have it keep the long filename)
2- I then copied that properly named sfs file to a USB drive.
3 - I plugged this USB into the laptop I want Puppy to work with and used the same CD that was always failing before
4 - it actually booted.... because boot found a properly named sfs now one of the volumes it could read

I didnt even need to turn off ACPI or mess with any extra parms at the boot... just let it do its thing with defaults.

The old Sony PCG-505 laptop is up and running again and working great on Puppy now. I used the same USB stick to store my session info the first time and am happy with the results... (but still po'd at Windows not having the integrity to natively preserve the long filenames and my own inability to find a solution that would allow me to make it work) :?

krankypuppy

Pup_Rescue2.5

#104 Post by krankypuppy »

The sfs file was incorrectly named as puprescu.sfs on my copy of Pup_Rescue2.5. The system was looking for Pup_Rescue2.5.sfs so I renamed it to that in a folder that I had extracted from iso using winrar. I then dumped the files in with the mounted iso that "Yumi" live usb creator had made. I tried making an entire new iso but the config file wasn't found after.

Semme

#105 Post by Semme »

KP, browsers have a way of corrupting your dwnld. I suggest you grab it with wget.

After install, set this up. Then from the directory where you want the file to dwnld to, rt-clk for your prompt and enter:

Code: Select all

wget http://smokey01.com/CatDude/ISOs/PupRescue/2.5/PupRescue_2.5.iso
Kick back.. Let wget do its thing.
Attachments
pr_2.5-iso.jpg
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

4sevener

#106 Post by 4sevener »

I have the same Problem on a client.

On a bootstick works Linux live creator with a program very well.
But if I Do the Same on the compacflash inside IT Do Not work.
Butter is the Same data one both.

Pic with error in attach.

Tanks for your help.

REGARDS

Christian
Attachments
2019-05-05 16.07.26.png
(210.79 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Ananda98

#107 Post by Ananda98 »

Hai, 4sevener

Welcome to puppy linux group. Could you please tell your computer specification? Eg processor, RAM, etc.

I also use Puppy 4.3 too

4sevener

#108 Post by 4sevener »

Ananda98 wrote:Hai, 4sevener

Welcome to puppy linux group. Could you please tell your computer specification? Eg processor, RAM, etc.

I also use Puppy 4.3 too
IGEL UD3- M300C

Product No.:

M300C

Prozessor Typ:

VIA Eden

Prozessor:

800MHz

Arbeitsspeicher:

1GB

RAM Typ:

DDR2 SO-DIMM

Chipsatz:

VIA Chrome9

Festplatten:

1 GB Compact Flash

LAN:

10/100MBit onboard

Grafikkarte:

onboard, Dualview 1920x1200 max.

VGA Schnittstellen:

1x DVI

Soundkarte:

AC97 Audio Ctrl. onboard

USB Schnittstellen:

1x vorne, 4x hinten

Kartenleser:

nicht installiert

LAN Schnittstelle:

1x RJ-45

Soundanschlüsse:

Mikrofon, Kopfhörer

Serial Port:

1x

PS/2:

1x

Betriebssystem:

nicht vorhanden

Netzteil:

extern 230V, 50/60Hz

Abmessungen (BxHxT):

82x 231x 227 mm

Gewicht (kg):

Lieferung:

Thin Client (wie beschrieben), Netzteil

Ananda98

#109 Post by Ananda98 »

Hm... I never get same problem, but I hope I can help.

Did you install Puppy by removing the compact flash and install it using another computer (Windows)?

Maybe you can try to install Puppy to your compact flash from your computer. Run Puppy in your computer using USB stick, using live mode, then install a copy of Puppy to your compact flash.

Reboot and try again.

Using another version of Puppy may be helpful. Try higher version. In my opinion, your hardware can handle Wary Puppy 5.5

You can download it here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.5/

4sevener

#110 Post by 4sevener »

Ananda98 wrote:Hm... I never get same problem, but I hope I can help.

Did you install Puppy by removing the compact flash and install it using another computer (Windows)?

Maybe you can try to install Puppy to your compact flash from your computer. Run Puppy in your computer using USB stick, using live mode, then install a copy of Puppy to your compact flash.

Reboot and try again.

Using another version of Puppy may be helpful. Try higher version. In my opinion, your hardware can handle Wary Puppy 5.5

You can download it here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.5/

I install IT with Linux live creator and a ISO image.