Huawei E1550 modem spams /var/log/messages with error: -71

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
m.t.v.

Huawei E1550 modem spams /var/log/messages with error: -71

#1 Post by m.t.v. »

Hi friends,

Queer thing with my Huawei E1550 dongle: upcomes good, dialups with small lag, but
every second (even if not in connection) spams the message log with

Code: Select all

user.err kernel: option: option_instat_callback: error -71
I have found similar problem here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ts-7 ... sage/15278

They wrote:
..."option: option_instat_callback:
> error -71" which apparently indicates a low-level USB problem...
A reason of their problem was:
The Marvell SoC doesn't support isochronous transfers usually needed for USB sound cards. USB 2.0 doesn't have isochronous transfer at all and thus some devices work and some don't. Being an unreliable data transfer method, it is used only for devices that can cope with missing chunks of data, thus USB storage devices never use it.
Please, give some hint how to get rid of that spam, as it causes such unstability... Maybe patch "option.c" to disable error reporting in:

line 837: err("%s: error %d", __func__, status);
...but this wouldn't solve the problem in core...

Thanks in advance!

Taras

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

m.t.v.,
I am the maintainer of dialup modem support. Your modem is not currently (in 4.3.1) processed by the mode switcher. We need to eliminate that as the cause of your problem. But new information is available since the puppy 4.3.1 was built.

The complication is that your modem looks the same as another Huawei, the E270+, so I need to determine a way to distinguish them. There may be further identification information available. Could you send me a diagnostic file that may give me the additional information? Just boot up, go into pupdial, and connect.

While connected , run in a console the command: pmodemdiag. Then attach the file it produces to a PM to me. That should tell me how to identify the modem precisely. I would hope that someone with an E270+ would do the same, so I can verify they can be seen as different modems. In the meantime, I am updating the "rules" files to support your and some other wireless modems (and will provide them to you).

Thanks.
Richard

m.t.v.

#3 Post by m.t.v. »

Richard, i had detected some board-level problems on the port I was using the dongle, so after changing the port the error didn't appear again. But the minute lag after "CONNECT 3600000" still remained as pppd was starting on timeout ("hoping best") instead of on a prompt signal.

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
option 1-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
wvdial log:

--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT
OK
--> Sending: AT&FE0V1X1&D2&C1S0=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
CONNECT 3600000
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
<<< 1 minute lag goes here, then:

--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Nov  2 18:31:41 2009
--> pid of pppd: 9310
pppd succeeds with inet ppp0 and dns, so IMHO the only problem is "prompt"

Also, the init string "AT&FE0V1X1&D2&C1S0=0" I have fetched from OEM Windows INF file bundled with it, as it refused connecting pppd with autodetected one by Pupdial.

Taras

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

m.t.v.,
Thanks for the information. It might be useful to determine which difference in the init string is responsible for the ability to connect. Five of the commands are identical with pupdial's. Your string adds &F and X1, and omits Q0, S11=55, and +FCLASS=0. Could you first try omitting the X1 and connecting, then remove &F and connect. If you can still connect, try adding S11=55, which appears to shorten the interval between dialing tones. The Q0 and +FCLASS seem innocuous, but try them (separately) if S11=55 is OK.

This could help me in making pupdial figure out the correct command to add. BTW, the X1 limits the set of responses you see in the log. The default (X4) displays all responses, in case there are any surprises, but the default should not affect anything else.

Regarding mode switching, your modem seems to be switched by the usb-storage driver in the latest kernels. So that should not be an issue. Thanks for helping to isolate the factor affecting your modem.
Richard