Mozilla 1.8..., 1.7....

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
EarlSmith

Mozilla 1.8..., 1.7....

#1 Post by EarlSmith »

Barry you wrote,

"A little note about Mozilla. Version 1.7.8 GTK1 is about 40M uncompressed, 1.7.8 GTK2 is 42M and 1.8beta GTK2 is 35.7M. "

"Note that Pup 1.0.2 has Moz 1.8beta, but the Calendar module doesn't work properly ...so now we have to wait on the developers before we can go back to 1.8 and bring Puppy's size down a bit."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible that the 1.8 beta GTK at 35.7MB has something left out that prevents Calendar from working, and that when they fix 1.8 that the GTK file will be larger?
I am one of the people who wanted the Calendar working, but I have found a way around the problem.
As far as I am concerned you can stick with 1.8 until Mozilla gets it fixed.
Was the Calendar the only problem in 1.8?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Earl,
I'm curious about your alternative to Calendar ...using something else?
There is of course Xcalendar, but that may be too simple for many people.

#3 Post by Guest »

I don't know if you read or remember my post about a stable pup and the new cutting edge pup you guys are working on. My stable pup I use every day is 0.9.9 . It has Mozilla with a working calendar and Abiword and planmaker both print for me on my home printer .. hp laser 6p .
When I am in a clients business, Pup usually works ok to look at and modify records. Unless they have a laser printer I don't even try to print. Most of my printing is done at home anyway.
I do like your idea about ical if it can save space and would probab ly be an easy transition.
I also use 0.9.6 at times when I want to use Dillo. For some research I find Dillo is much faster.

EarlSmith

#4 Post by EarlSmith »

Guest above is me...forgot to login

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Well, Pup 1.0.3 will have ical.
This frees up the calendar program so it isn't dependent on just one browser suite.
Moz Calendar is based in ical, so can import ical files -- I don't know about export -- probably does.

Pup 1.0.3 due out by end of week.