Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
sinc

#81 Post by sinc »

jemimah, i see that you are my neighbor :).

i have used the newest version of pwireless2 in dpup and find that it is working perfectly. 100 times better than the existing network manager. thanks for your work.

jemimah

#82 Post by jemimah »

Howdy neighbor! Thanks for testing.

I think we're close to release candidate status with this version if no one complains about further issues. The main problems for the future will be ironing out all the hardware that doesn't support wpa_supplicant very well.

davesurrey

#83 Post by davesurrey »

jemimah,
I was trying to get pwireless2 working on a puppy 412 but still can't get the tray-icon despite installing the libgio.pet.

Also I am having big problems with one laptop and wpa and so tried pwireless2 to eliminate network-wizard but everytime I scanned with pwireless2 it said my network was WEP. It definitely isn't.

I then deleted any possible profiles such as /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and those in /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant.conf and also /var/run/wpa_supplicant. But even after a reboot pwireless2 still came back with my network as wep in the network tab before I had done a scan. Is this what you would expect??

Thanks
Dave

scurrier

#84 Post by scurrier »

I've tried ndiswrapper and the results are identical.
Makes me think there's something else going on.
I wonder if there's anybody who's got the same network adapter as me, D-Link DWL-G650+ rev.B1, and made it work with Puppy. I remember seeing this card in a list of cards that works with Linux.
When I get time I'll see if I can get this network adapter to work on another Linux system on my Dell laptop.
But for my old Toshiba I might have to try PCLinuxOS Tinyme instead.
Thanks for your help Jemimah

mikeslr

pwireless2 working but

#85 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jeremiah,

First, very nice work.

As sinc mentioned your pet on the dpup thread, I thought I'd give it a try. Have no trouble with dPup on my Thinkpad T42 with its built in wireless, but on my Desktop neither dPup nor Puppy 4.3.1 would connect via Network Manager using my pcmcia D-Link WNA 1330 card. [Linux recognizes this as needing an Atheros driver. I think Atr5 or something like that]. My shared WEP network was seen, but that's all. Using your pet, I was easily able to connect to my network. So I agree with sinc, sort of. The actual factor between nothing and success is closer to infinity than 100.

Edit: The something may be Ath5K.

However, infinity is a funny number. There are an infinite number of infinities. Regretfully, my infinity connects me via Firefox to Google.com.au --I think that's dPup's default setting-- but then takes forever to load the page. Well, actually I gave up after 5 minutes.

By comparison, on my laptop the google webpage loads in a second or two, and puppies which run from my Desktop rarely take over 5.

I suspect it has to do with a weak or intermittent connection, although running XP on my Desktop reports "Signal Strength: Very Good; 54%". Ergo, the Atheros driver isn't working properly. Any other ideas?

At any rate, despite the above, thanks for developing a pet which I expect to use, though perhaps not with the D-Link card.

Edit: @ http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=15, tempestuous, responding to a similar problem experienced by magerlab wrote:
"I see at linuxwireless -
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k
that the ath5k has problems with rate control, so you may need to force the driver to a higher rate, as such - Code:
iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M".

Googling revealed that D-Link supports
"WIRELESS SIGNAL RATES WITH AUTOMATIC FALLBACK
54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 11, 9, 6, 5.5, 2, & 1Mbps"

So, I'll play around with tempestuous' code, and if unsuccessful, tempestuous' madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4100-k2.6.30.5.pet (link on above referenced thread) and report back.

MikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 12 Dec 2009, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah

Congrats on the inclusion of Pwireless2 in a puplet! Sigmund (aka zigbert) has included it in his new puplet Puppy Stardust. It is also to be included in Dpup beta 6.

This is a testament to your hard work!

Cheers 8)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

davesurrey

#87 Post by davesurrey »

Zigbert has suggested I contact you as your pwireless2 is in his startdust-001 puppy.
Please see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 287#371287

Although I have no wireless card installed on my test PC every time I reboot or even restart the x-server I get the message that it can't detect my wireless card. Not surprising as there isn't one installed.

Is there a way you can eliminate this as it's a bit annoying.

Thanks
Dave

jemimah

#88 Post by jemimah »

Davesurrey, I'm confused about this WPA/WEP mixup thing. I presume things work correctly on other computers/OSes? The AP is supposed to broadcast what type of encryption it has. It's possible wpa_supplicant is getting mixed up, but I'm not sure how it could be fixed. You could try using wpa_gui and see if you get the same results.

Figuring out why gtrayicon doesn't want to work on older puppies is still on my todo list. I'll let everyone know when I have sorted that out.

You can disable Pwireless2 by moving the 'networking' script out of /root/Startup. I'll try to come up with a better way for the next version.

Scurrier, I got my info from this page http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/WPA I presume this is your driver based off the output you sent.

Mikeslr, I've also heard that the ath5k from the 2.6.31 kernel is better. I've been able to successful backport this driver for use in my Puppeee puplet. It might be worth someone's time to try it for the standard kernel, but the update breaks the ath9k driver (at least in my tests), so it might be better to wait until the whole kernel can be upgraded.

01micko, that's for telling me! Hopefully if we get enough testers it could be good enough for 4.4 CE.

zigbert

#89 Post by zigbert »

jemimah
This has become a VERY nice app!!!

I wonder, - is it by any chance possible to remove some of the tools in the 'wireless-tools-29' package? I tried to remove the complete package, but then my card wasn't installed.

Sigmund

jemimah

#90 Post by jemimah »

I am wondering what process you are using to remove packages? I was under the impression that 4.3.1 has no tool to do that.

My goal is to figure out a way to integrate Network Wizard and Pwireless2 since Network Wizard has functionality that Pwireless2 does not. I did check if Dougal had any interest in helping, but he tells me he does not.

How do I find out what's in the wireless-tools-29 package?

zigbert

#91 Post by zigbert »

jemimah wrote:I am wondering what process you are using to remove packages
I mount the Puppy iso, copy it to harddisk, manipulate it, repack it with mksquashfs and finally burns it. All this is done automatically with a script. I start the script.....and after some minutes it blops out a fresh Puppy Stardust iso which I can test on my second machine. While testing, I continues to edit my script for next round.....

The script is totally hardcoded, so it won't run (at this stage) on any other system than mine. Who knows where this leads us....
How do I find out what's in the wireless-tools-29 package
The way I do it is to download the package from the Puppy repo. Then add the extension .tar.gz. Now just click on it and Xarchive shows all files in the package. In this case:
ifrename
iwconfig
iwevent
iwgetid
iwlist
iwpriv
iwspy

Sigmund

jemimah

#92 Post by jemimah »

Sounds like your method is similar to what I do with Puppeee.

It's probably wise to leave those in place. My scripts for Pwireless2 depend on iwconfig. What you can probably do is remove the old versions of wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd in /usr/sbin. Though that will break the network wizard.

It's very confusing to the users to have both the network wizard and Pwireless2 on the system. I modified the network wizard on Puppeee to open Pwireless2 if one tries to configure wireless networking in the Network Wizard. I will send you the new version if you want it.

zigbert

#93 Post by zigbert »

Network wizard in Puppy Stardust already points to Pwireless2 for wireless configuration :wink:

Sigmund

jemimah

#94 Post by jemimah »

Cool! Let me know if you've got feedback or ideas for improving Pwireless2.

zigbert

#95 Post by zigbert »

The only thing that comes to my mind is that davesurrey mentioned the message "Card not installed" (or something like that) at every startup. It mcould simply be solved by a checkbox on the same massage dialog: "Skip this message".

Else, I think it works wonderful. The new gui mods made it all even better!!!

Sigmund

jemimah

#96 Post by jemimah »

I will definitely add the fix for davesurrey's problem in the next version.

davesurrey

#97 Post by davesurrey »

jemimah wrote:
Davesurrey, I'm confused about this WPA/WEP mixup thing.
That makes two of us :-)
However since I posted this tempestuous has been very helpful in trying to trouble shoot this but has concluded that the driver and my wireless adapter are not playing ball with wpa_supplicant (it works in open and WEP) so this may be the reason for the strange messages in Pwireless2.
Sorry to trouble you.
I will definitely add the fix for davesurrey's problem in the next version.
I appreciate this. It happens every time I boot or restart the x-server and a message saying it can't detect my wireless card comes up. Not surprising as one isn't fitted. It's getting a bit annoying so if it can be fixed it'd be appreciated. As pwireless2 is already part of zigbert's stardust distro will I just need to add your next pet to fix it?

Cheers
Dave

jemimah

#98 Post by jemimah »

It probably makes the most sense to wait for Zigbert to update it, in case the stardust version is customized or if I make changes that would require the old version to be uninstalled first, which I probably will for the next version.

Patriot

#99 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

jemimah,

If I may make a suggestion ...

I've taken a peek at the networking startup script and it seems to need a wpa setup validation. The example code snippets below is what I meant:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# Check for valid wpa_supplicant config
[ -e /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf ] || exit
[ $(grep -c 'network=' /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf) -eq 0 ] && exit

WIFI_IF=$(iwconfig 2>&1 |egrep "^[a-z]"|grep -v "no wireless" |head  -n1 |cut -f1 -d" ")
if [[ $WIFI_IF == '' ]] ; then
The above will check to see if wpa_supplicant have been configured previously before proceeding. It's a possible quick fix for the uninitiated pop-up msg on a first time boot (ex: Stardust puplet) ... A nicer solution would be to copy the startup script only upon the first successful wpa configuration, as it would be unproductive to have it running on a non-wifi machine ...

Rgds

jemimah

#100 Post by jemimah »

Patriot, the wpa_supplicant.conf file is installed with the pet so it will always be there. The current fix I'm working on is just to exit if no wireless interface is found. Previously, I presumed if you installed the pet you'd want to know immediately if it wasn't working, but if Pwireless2 is part of a puplet it does make sense that some people running it won't have a wireless card.

So for now I'll just turn off that message and exit the script if the wireless card is not found. You'll still get the message if you try to start the Pwireless2 gui. I will probably release an update tomorrow; there's a couple other bugs I need to track down.