Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
swiatmar

#196 Post by swiatmar »

thank you jemimah :) it works now
I didn't had to put the pwireless in to startup folder. I went to the etc/init.d directory and click it once and since then it work.
But anoter one question. Can I slow down the starting process of pwireless2? It startup to fast- so it doesn't get the connection and it shows me IP adress failed. so I have to start pwireless manually on every start. I tried to set sleep in the startup folder - but it change only the startup of the trace icon but not pwireless.
Thanks

jemimah

#197 Post by jemimah »

If you move /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 to the startup folder, I think it will fix it. That will make it run later and make sure it actually runs.

battleshooter

#198 Post by battleshooter »

Hey Jemimah,

Just wanna say I've got all the laptops in house using Pwireless2 and it's awesome! The autoconnect for me is the best thing about it, and second best thing is probably the one click connect/disconnect. Thanks so much Jemimah.

Wireless settings are pretty boring, just mac filtering with no encryption. I should try and set up some form of encryption though...

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

jemimah

#199 Post by jemimah »

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping I'll get around to updating this soon. I need to see what Barry's doing with SNS and maybe learn a few things.

GrumpyWolfe

#200 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Thanks jemimah

I just wish to second that on the pwireless2 I have is as the only way to connect with my new MyWolfe-012 and like is very much. You di d a great job on it.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

ahm

Bug in Pwireless2 Beta 2.9 Scanned AP Display

#201 Post by ahm »

First of all, Pwireless2 is great. Much better than the old Network Wizard. I use Browser Linux on my Asus netbook and Pwireless2 makes connecting easy. At least that was the case. I recently got a new router - a Netgear WGR614v10 - just a basic G router really. Imagine my surprise when my Ubuntu laptop, my Windows 7 netbook and my old HP XP laptop would see and connect to my AP but my little Asus netbook with Browser Linux 362 wouldn't. What I found most amusing was that it would see all the many APs that exist in my condo complex but not mine. Quite baffling. After some futzing around with router settings I finally went to the code for Pwireless2. In the directory where the scripts are located I found "get_scan_results". Here wpa_cli is used to get a list of APs and then that list is filtered and sent to the main program for display. One part of the pipeline is:

Code: Select all

egrep ^[0123456789]
which essentially gets rid of the line of text put out by the wpa_cli command. The only problem with this is that not every wireless AP MAC starts with a number. Mine starts with a "c03f" which is assigned to Netgear. I "fixed" the problem by just adding a "c" to the expression. Again, Pwireless2 is a great little program for Puppy Linux. Keep at it.

technosaurus

#202 Post by technosaurus »

should it then be [a-f0-9] ??? to cover all hex values
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

drongo

hex values

#203 Post by drongo »

Yes, MAC addresses can contain any hex value, as can WEP and WPA passwords!

jemimah

#204 Post by jemimah »

Yep, my bad. I'll fix that for the next version.

scrappy

#205 Post by scrappy »

hello all, i am new on this forum and i am using puppy linux 4.3.1 beta 2 startdust. This version uses the pwireless2 program.

I have a toshiba laptop with a realtek 8192 wifi card and have installed the linux driver for it : r8192se_pci-14.0115.2010-k2.6.30.5.pet.

I have an internet connection but it is verry poor. The speed is so slow that a programm like pidgin loses its connection verry often. I have tryed this laptop on a cable and that worked perfect, lan card was nicely picked up by puppy.

ndiswrapper i no solution because i have tryed different window drivers and had no succes at all.

Can someone help me ?? My knolledge on linux is poor so please be patient with me :-)

ps, i am sorry if this post is posted on the wronge tread.

jemimah

#206 Post by jemimah »

That driver is still "experimental," so you may be stuck waiting until a stable driver is developed.

If it's only the wpa-supplicant support that's flaky, you might find that the traditional network wizard works better for you.

You can try posting in the hardware forum and see if anyone else has had success with that card.

scrappy

#207 Post by scrappy »

jemimah wrote:That driver is still "experimental," so you may be stuck waiting until a stable driver is developed.

If it's only the wpa-supplicant support that's flaky, you might find that the traditional network wizard works better for you.

You can try posting in the hardware forum and see if anyone else has had success with that card.
....thx for the rappid reply. I will try the traditional network wizzard and see if that helps. I have looked around on this forum but didn't find any usefull info other than the posted linux driver. Will try the hardware forum if this doesn't work.....

thx again jemimah

scrappy

#208 Post by scrappy »

Sorry to say that the traditional wizzard had no effect at all, it doesn't see any interface at all. Will try to get some info on the hardware form.

husker_pick

#209 Post by husker_pick »

I found Pwireless2 when checking out different puplets (Wolfpup) and it said no wireless adapters found. It worked in 4.3.1 and other Distros like Zenwalk. Trying to find a very simple mother-in-law distro for an ancient slow notebook.

I have a very old orinoco pcmcia Lucent Wavelan Silver 802.11b card that shows up as eth0 in iwconfig.

YOUR ADVICE BELOW SOLVED THE PROBLEM. (After deleting profiles and disabeling rc.network per above posts)

Try running /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 (from command line or clicking it should work) and see if that fixes it. If it does, you should be able to move it to /root/Startup and it should get run from there.

Thanks so much for a good wireless gui for puppy maybe this should be the default launch location.

pick
EDIT P.S. You're getting very close to wicd!

player_one

Pwireless2 and fluppy

#210 Post by player_one »

Hello Jemimah, one of our users (italianpuppy.org) is experiencing problems with Pwireless2 in puppy 4.3.1 (doesn't find any wireless connection), while on fluppy with the same notebook it works fine. So I was wondering: is there any difference between the 2 Pwireless2? Maybe the one on fluppy is the most updated? Thanks.

jemimah

#211 Post by jemimah »

Yes there are a few updates in Fluppy that aren't in this version. It's probably time to update the pet. :)

player_one

#212 Post by player_one »

Ok, thank you!

jemimah

#213 Post by jemimah »

I've posted an update. Most of the changes are minor bugfixes and enhancements.

I no longer consider this Beta, so enjoy!

(Keep in mind I only test on 4.3 so other Puplets may need to repackage it if it init.d scripts work in a different way or something.)

01micko

#214 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah,

Couple of questions..

1) I plan to re-package this up for Lucid Puppy.. do you think it necessary to recompile wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli against the ubuntu libs for compatibility? If so, can you post your configure file please? Also the Lupu kernel is recompiled against gcc-4.4.3. Would that make a difference?

2) what about dhcpcd? It's already there, but in Lupu, there is a symlink in /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd to /usr/sbin/dhcpcd. Can I use those and just add the extra stuff you have in /lib/dhcpcd/ ?

Thanks for this cool app, my wife's machine has been running an early beta for about four months or so without a problem.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#215 Post by jemimah »

You can probably use the native wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd as long a they are sufficiently recent (which I'm sure they are in LuPu). I only include binaries in the pet because in a lot of Puplets these are too old, and upgrading breaks the Network Wizard.

I'm attaching the .config for wpa_supplicant.

You can edit /usr/local/Pwireless2/config to tell it which wpa-supplicant and dhcpcd to use.

Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Attachments
.config.gz
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 897 times