Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Forget all that BS I posted earlier! While I disabled the network wizard i did not delete the profile (fine print... do please make it larger for idiots... er .. like.. no..)

It is working now.. Sorry to cause you grief.

I owe you one :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#32 Post by jemimah »

Well see that's the problem and where I need the most help. It would be nice to figure out how to integrate it, or at least make it play nice with network wizard. But figuring out other people's gtkdialog code is headache-inducing to say the least! (and I thought Perl was the only write-only language) ;)

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

You'll get there. There's a couple of Bash/gtkdialog gurus around here... just shoot them a PM if you get stuck, I've only been coding in bash for less than 12 months and that's what I do.

Testers are the hard ones to snag!

Cheers and thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rjbrewer

#34 Post by rjbrewer »

I've tried it on 3 Puppies. Using full installs.
4.1.1 and 4.1.2 with the 2.6.25.16 kernel and 4.3.1 with 2.6.30.5
kernel.
Tried with both Atheros cards in my signature and a Belkin
f5d7050 with zd1211rw module.
The Atheros cards use ath5k in the latest kernel and have a
difficult time with wpa in the network wizard, but connect
easily with Pwireless2. Belkin works fine also.
It worked with 4.1.2 and 4.3.1 but not with 4.1.1.
When I deleted it from 4.1.1 it seems to have taken some
necessary wpa files from the standard wizard along with it.
I restored the files with a live 4.1.1 cd and the wizard works
again.
I could only get the gtray icon to show up on 4.3.1.

Pwireless2 can make connection much easier for new
Puppy users. I like it a lot.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jemimah

#35 Post by jemimah »

rjbrewer, thanks for testing! Which files did you need to restore to fix 4.1.1? I suspect the libgio dependency is why the applet doesn't show up on earlier versions. Maybe I'll add a link to it in the original post.

rjbrewer

#36 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:rjbrewer, thanks for testing! Which files did you need to restore to fix 4.1.1?
Looks like I removed more than profiles when I initially tried it.
Did the pwireless2 install again, deleted it from package manager
and ran netwizard and it worked okay. False alarm.
With 4.1.1, pwireless2 window doesn't show a scan.
There were a lot of changes to wireless in the 4.xx series development,
some having to do with wpa. Mostly fixed by 4.1.2.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

technowomble

Am I missing something?

#37 Post by technowomble »

jemimah. 01micko mentioned disabling the network manager, maybe that's why I've had problems with pwireless2. I'd removed the profiles from /etc/network-wizard/profiles and wpa_profiles but couldn't see how to disable network manager.
BTW for information, my wireless is Edimax EW7608Pg, pcmcia using the rt61pci driver and I'm using it in Puppy 4.2.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel.

jemimah

#38 Post by jemimah »

To make sure it's absolutely and completely disabled, you can move or rename the file /etc/rc.d/rc.network and reboot.

hayagix

#39 Post by hayagix »

Pwireless2 is a tremendous tool! Love the quick connect/disconnect and readout at top of screen. This certainly rivals gnome network manager and wicd which seem to be the best tools for managing wireless in linux.
I use network wizard to setup the card. I've switched back to ndiswrapper from the included rt2500usb linux drivers. Ndiswrapper is much, much faster darn it. Set ndiswrapper to load at boot time with the boot manager. Do not create any profiles with network wizard and rename it in rc.d to prevent a conflict. Exit to a prompt seemed to do the trick to get pwireless2 to detect the network card for those of us running live.
Thanks again for developing this.

DapperMe17

#40 Post by DapperMe17 »

Hello,

Sounds like a nice tool!

Does anyone know if it will work with the Broadcom BCM4306 chip? The PC uses WPA encryption. (HP laptops)

Neither stock wireless managers pick up my network in Puppy. Wireless connectivity is the only thing preventing use of Puppy.

In Ubuntu, it's runs as WLAN0...

jemimah

#41 Post by jemimah »

DapperMe17, I'd say it's worth a shot. If your hardware is detected, and supported by wpa_supplicant (which it is if it works on Ubuntu) this should work for you.

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

DapperMe17 wrote:Does anyone know if it will work with the Broadcom BCM4306 chip? ...
(HP laptops)
Broadcom and HP; a Linux-unfriendly combination.
You probably need the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 454#346454
DapperMe17 wrote:The PC uses WPA encryption.
The type of encryption is determined by the wifi router, not by the computers connected to it.

jemimah

#43 Post by jemimah »

I've posted an updated version that should make Pwireless2 more helpful and less buggy. Please test it and let me know how it goes.

technowomble

#44 Post by technowomble »

I did a new install of Puppy - in case I'd corrupted anything with my previous efforts - and with /etc/rc.d/rc.network disabled and profiles removed pwireless tries to connect. It gets as far as 4-way handshake, but then stops, I'm wondering if it's because I'm using WPA2 encryption, as to connect using Network manager I have to select the WPA2 button and change 'security' from ' open ' to ' restricted '. These settings show up in my network profile ( line 3: WPA_TYPE="2" and line 9: SECURE=" restricted " ) but there is no provision to set them in pwireless, although wpa_supplicant supports WPA2.

chrome307

#45 Post by chrome307 »

@ jemimah

I have tried out Pwireless Beta 2 with BrowserLinux v355 built on Puppy 413 with the following hardware:

3Com 3CRUSB10075 ( built in driver with Puppy )
Netgear WPN111 ( Atheros Comms ) with NDISWrapper

Both are unable to detect any wireless networks and I am told at the top of the screen that WLAN0 is down.

However if I use PWireless 0.8.4 it does detect the networks.

I do not have any 'saved' profiles so the option to load them in PW beta 2 is not available to me.

Am I simply overlooking something here?

jemimah

#46 Post by jemimah »

Guys, hold of on this version for a bit. I discovered that adding the log file broke the profile loading, so hang on until I figure out how to fix it.

Technowomble, it's supposed to automatically detect the wpa version. Wait until I fix the profile problem, and then you should send me screenshots. Make sure you are entering the password correctly. Pwireless2 will not tell you if it's failing because of a bad password.

Chrome307. Ndiswrapper doesn't work out of the box though hayagix posted above that he got it working. If you can make sense of the instructions, give it a try.

chrome307

#47 Post by chrome307 »

I did try hayagix suggestion with the NetGear adapter, but it failed to pick it up again, but it is recognised when using the Network Wizard. This might simply be a problem with my 'cut down' version of Puppy I'm using.

However I was surprised it did not work with my 3Com adapter as this usually works 'out the box' with linux builds.

I'll keep following the thread and grab the updates when available :)

hayagix

#48 Post by hayagix »

Chrome. To get ndiswrapper to work you need to have it load at boot time.
Open BootManager in start menu > system > click here to add a new module > add 'ndiswrapper' from left pane to right pane > done.

When setting up ndiswrapper with networkwizard you need to blacklist the corresponding linux driver if one exists. This is all done with network wizard.

Ndiswrapper sets up wireless at wlan0 which is normally default so its all good.

This works a treat. I've rebooted my live cd with save file and everything works perfectly.

jemimah

#49 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded the fix for the profile loading problem. Apparently, if the log file gets longer than about 2500 lines, it breaks gtkdialog. This new version has extra logging turned on, so people having problems can post the log and status output so we can figure out what's going on. It also downs the wireless interface before loading wpa_supplicant in an attempt to reduce problems with network manager conflicts.

jemimah

#50 Post by jemimah »

I did find problem with wpa2 detection and have uploaded a fixed version. Technowomble, this may help you.