Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 27 May 2018, 04:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)
Page 5 of 17 [250 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2009, 14:16    Post subject:  

I've never heard of that happening before. Maybe your download was corrupt or something; might be a good idea to try downloading and installing again. Also it might help to try it on a clean save file.

I'll be releasing an updated version in the next few days, so keep watching this thread for updates.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 14:25    Post subject:  

I've uploaded a new version. This one has more debugging features and should be more fault-tolerant on finicky wireless cards.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 19:27    Post subject:  

I booted Pwireless2 on my other computer and found a bug, so I posted a new version with the fix. You need the new version if Pwireless2 hangs after adding a new profile.
Keef

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 08:28    Post subject:  

Jemimah,

This latest version is working very well for me. I have a WPA-PSK connection that generally failed with the 4 series (exceptions being ChoicePup Retro and Slaxer_Pup for some reason). Now running on 4.31, and it has consistently connected to the profile after boot-up.
Minor point: 'quit' button does not work for me on the Log and DNS tabs.
Otherwise, a job well done.

USB dongle: TP-Link TL-WN321G
Netgear Router
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 11:06    Post subject:  

Good catch Keef! I'll release a fix shortly.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 11:40    Post subject:  

The bugfix for the quit button is posted.
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 21:34    Post subject:  

A new version is posted with fixes for SSIDs with spaces in them, and 32 character WEP passkey support.
Last edited by jemimah on Sun 06 Dec 2009, 13:41; edited 1 time in total
CiaW

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 14:12    Post subject: Tested with Slaxer Pup 4.12 and broadcom 4318  

I have an ibm thinkpad 600x, 256mb ram on which I just re-installed Slaxer Pup 4.12. It loads the b43 wireless module fine, but the network wizard never remembered my settings so I had to enable wireless every time I booted -- so I was happy to see this new pet package!

Since I was doing a new install (dual-booting with Crunchbang) I had WEP turned off, and Pwireless2 connected just fine last night, and re-connected fine when I rebooted. When it installed, it said:
Code:
HOWEVER, these dependencies are missing:
File /usr/local/bin/gtrayicon has these missing library files:
libgio-2.0.so.0
It still worked, and I've since installed the libgio pet, but the only wireless icon I see is Blinky (Which is fine).

I decided to enable the WEP, and it wouldn't let me edit the connection. So I deleted it, read your help file and went to the networks tab to add a profile for my connection. it asked for the key, I entered it and it connected just fine - yay! However, it then crashed (I clicked on different tabs and tried to close it, it wouldn't close) -- that's when I decided to install the libgio and I rebooted. I was re-connected again automatically -- so that part is working great.

I do wonder about the log, since there aren't any dates I don't know if it generates a new log for each connection, or is it appending each time? I just wonder if it'll keep growing or not? If so I may need to configure something to delete a portion of it after a period of time?

Overall it's a really good thing, thank you for your efforts!
jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 14:21    Post subject:  

So you've installed libgio and you still don't get the tray icon? I guess I'll have to download an old version of Puppy and see what's up.

It generates a new log file to /tmp/wpa_supplicant.log every time you restart wpa_supplicant or reboot. It does grow quickly though; I'll probably make the output less verbose in the future, but for beta testing, I need all that data.

I wonder what crashed it. Let me know if you can reproduce the problem.
CiaW

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2009, 16:17    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
So you've installed libgio and you still don't get the tray icon? I guess I'll have to download an old version of Puppy and see what's up.

It generates a new log file to /tmp/wpa_supplicant.log every time you restart wpa_supplicant or reboot. It does grow quickly though; I'll probably make the output less verbose in the future, but for beta testing, I need all that data.

I wonder what crashed it. Let me know if you can reproduce the problem.

In order to reproduce the problem, I had to delete the profile (there was only 1 other network found, and it's also using WEP so I didn't want to play with that...) and deleting the profile actually crashed the program, but re-adding a profile worked ok (after I killed the process to be able to bring it up again...). I renamed the wpa_supplicant.log before I restarted pwireless2, but I don't think it showed anything useful about it crashing. Then I decided to see what else was in the tmp folder and found an xerrs.log and that had the following:

Code:
+ echo '[WEP]'  Selected interface ''\''wlan0'\''' OK 'EXIT="abort"'
[WEP] <deleted> Selected interface 'wlan0' OK EXIT="abort"
+ rm /tmp/Pwireless-interface /tmp/Pwireless.log /tmp/Pwireless-status
killall: wpa_supplicant: no process killed
++ Xdialog --msgbox 'Profile Deleted' 0 0
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable
cat: /tmp/Pwireless-interface: No such file or directory
+ rm '/tmp/Pwireless*'
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/Pwireless*': No such file or directory
(here it shows re-starting pwireless)
+ GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog3

Hope that helps? If there's any other output that might tell you something let me know (and where it'd be hiding...) I have it all set up again and still no tray icon, but that's ok....
growler

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec 2009, 20:45    Post subject: Success with beta 2.2 ndiswrapper  

Great job with this initiative!!

I have been using beta 2.2 with great success for a week or so - absolutely flawless from my simple perspective!

I am using a Marvell card through NDISwrapper ... which I thought might have made things more interesting - absolutely minimal configuraiton - it just worked.

Many thanks
scurrier

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 15:58    Post subject:  

Installed pwireless2 okay, but not working for me.
On booting I get the message "wlan0 is down" in blue at the top of the screen.
When running pwireless2 it doesn't seem to be able to recognise my network.
When I previously used the Network Wizard, it was unable to connect, but it does at least recognise my network.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 16:06    Post subject:  

If it says wlan0 is down, that's good actually. It does see your network. You need to go to the networks tab, scan and add a profile to connect. I'm about to release the next version that's more user friendly and hopefully will make this more obvious.
scurrier

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 16:46    Post subject:  

Sorry, should have made myself more clear.
Under the pwireless2 Networks tab, it doesn't show any results for the scan of wlan0.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2009, 19:37    Post subject:  

Ok, first try renaming /etc/rc.d/rc.network. This will disable the Network Wizard from starting anything. Then reboot and try again. If it still doesn't work, please attach output from the Status and Log panes.
Page 5 of 17 [250 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: