Kernel 2.6.11.7 for testers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
bombayrockers

Kernel 2.6.11.7 for testers

#1 Post by bombayrockers »

I have ported kernel 2.6.11.7 and modules from puppy 1.0.2 to work with puppy 1.0.6. You need to download vmlinuz and image.gz from the links below. If earlier you had problems with kernel 2.6 , they may have been because of the bootloader. Before the latest version of wakepup (which uses linld.exe , whereas earlier version used tiny.exe) kernel 2.6 from puppy 1.0.2 did not boot on my system. I used linld.exe and it works. Backup your original vmlinuz and image.gz and replace them with these.

I start it from the command line using linux.bat that contains :

Code: Select all

linld image=c:\vmlinuz initrd=c:\image.gz cl=@j.cfg
j.cfg contains:

Code: Select all

root=/dev/ram0
ramdisk_size=25000
PHOME=hda4
PFILE=PUP080-none-262144
you will need to edit PHOME and PFILE.

PS : I have made this using image.gz from 1.0.6. However if not much has changes have been made in image.gz in 1.0.7a and 1,0.7b then this should work with them too.

CAUTION: BarryK reverted to kernel 2.4 because kernel 2.6 reported ntfs filesystem corruption for some users, use at your own risk. I have been using kernel 2.6 for quite some time, Have had no problems

Extra modules: If you require other kernel modules you would have to compile them or request BarryK for the modules.tar if he has it stored somewhere.

Xorg: Xorg.pup+dri-i810 by MU does not work with this kernel, Xvesa works fine.

Issues with version 1.0.7: If this does not work with 1.0.7 for some reasons, try making a new image.gz. replace the /lib/modules folder in 1.0.7 image.gz with /lib/modules from this image.gz. (A discussion on remastering image.gz can be found in the how to forum)

vmlinuz http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... le=vmlinuz

image.gz
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... e=image.gz