The Ultimate Solution for running as root

For discussions about security.
forfyv

kids

#46 Post by forfyv »

WindUpToy wrote:kiddies know that if you remove+replace the CMOS battery, when you boot up there is no password required and the CMOS sets the BIOS up automatically on modern computers, with CD-boot as the first option.
In my case I don't worry about "kids", and if I power up my system and it does NOT need a password, then I KNOW I have been hacked, cracked and compromised, I can then take steps to minimize the damage, ie, passwords, accounts, etc.

Without that boot protection, I may not know that my data has been compromised.

:-0
45 Mike
www.45inx.com

Luluc

#47 Post by Luluc »

WindUpToy wrote:re: "Unless one sets the BIOS to only boot from the HDD, and locks it with a password"

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but today's "curious" kiddies know that if you remove+replace the CMOS battery, when you boot up there is no password required and the CMOS sets the BIOS up automatically on modern computers
True, but instead I would worry about the fact that, assuming the BIOS password will be respected, then no one can use the computer at all except The Great Guardian of the Key, which defeats the purpose of having a multiple account system, which was being discussed.