Having a first go at Puppy

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
longtom

Having a first go at Puppy

#1 Post by longtom »

After knowing about puppy for some time I downloaded Version 4.1.6 some time ago, had a look at the cd and forgot about it again.

The other day I had that cd in my hand again and in my other hand I had an old 512Meg flash drive. Ah well - so I managed to put Puppy onto that and tested in in several computers.

What can I say - it works like a charm. I was suitably impressed. Since I live in Africa and a lot of online business is still working on a dial-up, I found that a major show stopper when promoting or trying to help out people with Linux.
The distro I am using is Ubuntu, which is a good distro as far as I am concernend and works really well on most setups, I found that Ubuntu is not very font of dial-ups, in particular ot if a win modem is involved.
It requires endless jumping through burning hoops to get it eventually going - and than you are never quite sure how long it will last.

So I took my flash drive to a colleague, popped it into his box, started up and we fiddled around and my host was very impressed with what he saw. For the fun of it I clicked on the "connection" icon on the desktop and it took me the best amount of 20 seconds and my hosts account details and we were online with his motorola win modem.
I was over the moon. This is way more than what I was used to with Ubuntu...it just worked!

I know, Puppy is not nearly Ubuntu and doesn't have it all. I can't connect my Canon IP4500 with the Canon drivers (puppy doesn't appear to have Gutenbergs for that printer) and there are some other issues regarding peripherals. That's fine, I will be a pain in the beginners forum and find out about it.
After I have on a master machine what I need I'd like to make a remastered version for my dial-up friends in order to be able to offer a linux alternative to what they use at present.

Long talk - Puppy is a great distro and does a lot more than it's miniture stats would suggest.

Thank you to all involved!

No off we go to the beginner s forum - see you there.... :)

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

" For the fun of it I clicked on the "connection" icon on the desktop and it took me the best amount of 20 seconds and my hosts account details and we were online with his motorola win modem.
I was over the moon. This is way more than what I was used to with Ubuntu...it just worked! "

Best Dialup support in the world because Barry Kauler lives
in outback Penjori in Western Australia.

/////

" That's fine, I will be a pain in the beginners forum
and find out about it.

Hope we can supply you with an Aspirin.

//////////

" What can I say - it works like a charm. "

Enjoy the Puppy magic and welcome to Puppy.

Chris.

longtom

#3 Post by longtom »

cthisbear wrote: Best Dialup support in the world because Barry Kauler lives
in outback Penjori in Western Australia.
Is that as bad as "Little Karoo", South Africa?... :D
Hope we can supply you with an Aspirin.
What can I say, got it going with a little help of my new friends :wink: ....now of to OO...
Enjoy the Puppy magic and welcome to Puppy.
Thank you!
Regards

longtom