Add Tetrix

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Rosace

Add Tetrix

#1 Post by Rosace »

I am a Tetrix addict. Can this game be added to Puppy? Perhaps replace GTFish with Tetrix?

Keeping my fingers crossed. ---/ Rosace

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

In case you don't know about it, you can download self-installing programs for Puppy from the dotpup page and from Pupget (found under Setup in the Start button menu.) Sorry, no tetris yet.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you're desperate enough, I believe there was a tetris extension for Firefox at one time....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Tetris in Linux

#4 Post by Flash »

Here's something that you might be able to use.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

Guestoo has made Bastet into a dotpup package. Check the top of the third page of the "dotpup" thread on the "Cutting Edge" section of the forum.

Have fun!

ND

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Puppy does have a Tetris game.
It's name is Xpuyopuyo and it is a PupGet package.

Waldo2

#7 Post by Waldo2 »

The Firefox extension is available here:
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/clav/#blockfall
More traditional than Xpuyopuyo with slick graphics.

Rosace

Add Tetris

#8 Post by Rosace »

I finally figured out how to download from Pupget and installed Xpuyopuyo. It is OH Kay, a bit too easy for me, no challange. As for the other Tetris games suggested by others, I keep getting error messages when trying to download or have to compile (which is beyond my expertise at the moment). Will look in freeware websites for more Tetris. Thanks.

mouldy

#9 Post by mouldy »

I am not a tetris fan, but try the Firefox extension. That should be real easy to install. I've had some trouble installing extensions directly off internet as Firefox sometimes gives an error, but if you download the extension file to say my-documents, then open with Firefox (type /root/my-documents into Firefox, assuming thats where you downloaded it) Then click on the extension file. Firefox will recognize the file as an extension and ask if you want to install.

There is also a dotpup for Bastet (bastard tetris). That one ought to be hard enough. It intends to be difficult to win. Not very pretty graphics though. I downloaded a couple other nicer looking ones when you first posted, but havent got around to playing with them. Think they were simple binaries and no need to compile, though they may have some dependencies that need to be found. I also had a fairly nice version of Tetris off Austrumi Linux working fine under 0.9.6 Puppy. Neat sound effects and all. Lost it when that hardrive died, but no biggie to get it again. It was actually very nice graphics. If you really want it, I can make a tarball of necessary files plus instructions where to put them (just open two instances of ROX and drag and drop to appropriate places). Suppose I need to force myself to learn to make the dotpup scripts. Script just automates installing the files to the appropriate directories. For some reason I think its nicer to manually install software so you know exactly where and what has been installed. But most people dont agree, especially those used to windows automated installer frontends that every program for that OS has anymore.

mouldy

#10 Post by mouldy »

Ok, just now tried the Firefox "Blocks" tetris extension. It installs very easy and works but really outclassed by that tetris I got off Austrumi. Let me know if you want the Austrumi tetris. I assume its small enough to upload here. Cant remember size of binary or what libraries if any were required. I was just playing to see if I could just copy Austrumi files to Puppy and make it work. As I said, it worked as good on Puppy as it did on Austrumi which was 'very good'.

Rosace

Add Tetris

#11 Post by Rosace »

I have downloaded Astrumi. I am imprtessed with its speed and neat packages but it does not have dialup. Don't know if I can add a dialup and tty01 to Astrumi. As for Ltris, which is one of the games in Astrumi, I like it.

I did download Ltris separately but do not know yet how to install in Puppy. I uncompressed it but how do I make it run?

mouldy

#12 Post by mouldy »

I found a Mandrake rpm of Ltris which is better way to go than copying files from Austrumi. RPM is package system used by some other distributions. Puppy cant run the RPM package to install files, but can unzip them and leave you with a directory containing the files which you can then manually install. RPMs dont contain any dependency libraries. You have to hunt them down by themselves. Many are available as their own RPMs. Once the files are installed, bring up terminal and cd to directory containing the binary and then ./ltris. Any missing libraries will cause an error. Once you have it working just create simple little script to do this and make a clickable icon for it on desktop if you want.

Earlier I reinstalled Ltris on my 1.0.1 Puppy with no problem. Works fine. Then I got sidetracked and didnt make tarball of the files. And now have to redo it as I forgot to make note of dependencies required. Seems like there were three (but may have been some other program I was messing with) and two could be met just by making renamed sym link to already existing Puppy library. I need to do install on clean version of Puppy anyway. I have so many extras added to mine that I may have already had some dependency installed for some other program that a clean install of Puppy would need for Ltris and I wouldnt realize that. Ltris is a very nice tetris clone by the way.

mouldy

#13 Post by mouldy »

Ok, I put together tar of files necessary to get ltris running on Puppy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Tetris 3D

#14 Post by Lobster »

The best game of Tetris I ever saw used 3 D Wireframes that travelled down a long box or sealed hall . . .

It was for DOS - the C code might be about - bet it was tiny. It was very playable . . .

8) Can we find it?

mouldy

Re: Add Tetris

#15 Post by mouldy »

Rosace wrote:I have downloaded Astrumi. I am imprtessed with its speed and neat packages but it does not have dialup. Don't know if I can add a dialup and tty01 to Astrumi.
Unless you downloaded a fairly old version, Austrumi has dialup capabilities. Mine is couple versions back and it can dial. Dialup in Austrumi is not as slick or developed as Puppy, but it can be made to work. Austrumi wont work with ISA modem. Pretty much have to have an external serial modem I think.

Rosace

Add Tetris

#16 Post by Rosace »

Thanks alot for the Ltris. This increases my enjoyment of Puppy.

Rosace

Puppy 1.0.3

#17 Post by Rosace »

Drats! Puppy 1.0.3 wiped out my ltris. I deleted the Pup001 file. Then, ran 1.0.3 and restored ltris as well as the dail-up settings. What can I do to prevent losing my settings when the next upgrade becomes available?

Rich

#18 Post by Rich »

Before an upgrade/up-issue it's recommended to back up your pup001 file ( just in case ). As Puppy is still in the evolving/developing stage then I'm afraid that things like this will occasionally occur.

On the plus side though, you only have 1 256meg file to backup, rather than the 28,000 intertwined files that Windows uses.