Boxpup 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dalderton

#31 Post by dalderton »

How does one enter an address in pwget to download this iso ?It has the initial address shown in the first post in the thread ie http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP which does not name the file in question. If I put this in pwget and give a download folder it shows the console with a link up process then this disappears and the download folder appears. If I add the ISO in question ie http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/puppy-431-boxpup.iso Then the same thing happens that is ,the console appears then disappears and the download folder appears. Am I missing something. I have downloaded ISO s before when the link has the whole address including the name of the ISO and had no problem.I put it down to premature senility but hope there is a better answer.
Help would be appreciated in particular a link that will work with pwget. or pmirrorget.
Regards Dennis.
PS I have sattelite broadband and it is not totally reliable which results in downloads stalling and not restarting if using the browser downloads D

Roy

#32 Post by Roy »

dalderton,

I do not know about pwget, but if you use the following commands in Puppy's desktop Console, it will work:

Code: Select all

wget -c --user=puppy --password=linux http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/puppy-431-boxpup.iso
Should you need to interrupt your download for any reason, simply press Ctrl+C to pause it. Using your keyboard's Up Arrow will bring back the original command shown in the code window above; pressing Enter with your blinking cursor at the end of that command line will resume the file transfer. Using this command line with the '-c' in it will also cause the transfer to restart on its own if the connection is temporarily interupted.

-Roy

dalderton

#33 Post by dalderton »

Roy Thanks for that,it worked perfectly.I dont know why the pwget setup did not work but the CLI system is perfect. Unfortunately to some of us the Console stuff has to be spelt out.I only know enough about this stuff to know what I dont know, Also people who are working in a system that they deeply understand have trouble realising that others in another area havent a clue what they are talking about.
Anyway thanks again ,I guess that this just proves that if you want to know the answer you must ask the question.
Regards Dennis.

Q5sys

#34 Post by Q5sys »

Roy wrote:Q5sys,

Puppy 4.31 (official and all 4.31 derivatives) is the first Puppy to give me consistent failures with USB thumbdrives; I can't get a bootable drive with Gparted, the Universal Installer, or the new USB/Flash drive loader.

Although it would seem that you have somehow succeeded where I have failed (in getting a USB drive to even boot), you might try using a different Puppy version to install-to-USB. That's how I solved my immediate problem, with fingers crossed that I never need the USB-drive version to format anything.....

Note that it is entirely possible that your difficulty is completely unrelated to my woes... I have never encrypted a save file, so have never gone through the password request you mentioned.

Please do not mis-understand; my issues are integral to all 4.31-based Puppies, not just this one. I really love Gray's work and am a great admirer of his versions.

-Roy
well I decided to take a shot in the dark and choose not to encrypt the save file and guess what... it works fine. So Im not sure why trying to encrypt it is breaking the save file.
As for your issue, which method of installing are you using? Universal Installer or BootFlash?

Roy

#35 Post by Roy »

dalderton,

You are right; the command line stuff is not what a typical Windows refugee needs to begin using Linux. Personally, I am extremely grateful for these guys who have gone out of their way to create GUI's for guys like us in the past year or two. I only know the wget commands because the GUI stuff was not available when I first started using Puppy.... BTW, you should notice that the wget commands download to your root directory, unless you open the Console from within another directory OR use 'cd /your/target/directory' before inputing the commands I previously provided.

Q5sys,

I have tried loading 4.31 onto a USB stick by formatting the stick with Gparted (FAT32 with boot flag properly set) followed by using the Universal Installer (I have always chosen mbr.bin as an option in the past -- everything else is the default values); I have also tried 4.31's BootFlash. In both instances, plugging the USB stick into my target computer gives me a message that the USB drive is not bootable.

Using the BootFlash option in Quirky 2 works without problem, as does using Gparted and the Universal Installer from earlier Puppies. Puppy 4.31 -- or a derivative thereof -- is the single common denominator in all of my failed efforts.

-Roy

dalderton

#36 Post by dalderton »

Roy Unfortunately the wget and pwget seem to fall down on some download sites.I just tried to use it on this site http://lhpup.org/download443.htm#Base/L ... 4.43-d.iso and it it downloaded for a couple of seconds and then declared itself finished. I tried a couple of times but am now downloading the file with Opera.I have the manual here so as a last resort I should look at it.
Thanks again Dennis.

Roy

#37 Post by Roy »

dalderton,

That site does not require a username or password, as far as I know. For wget, your command line should look like this:

wget -c http://lhpup.org/beta/lhp443/LighthousePup-4.43-d.iso
Note the different web address in my command line, compared to what you were using. To find the correct address, go to the actual download webpage, Right click on the .iso file link, and select Copy Link Location from the drop down menu.

Now when you open your desktop Console, type 'wget -c', add a space with your space bar, and click by pushing down on the center (scroll wheel) of your mouse. This center-click will paste that copied file address into your console.

Hit your Enter key, sit back, and smile....

I think you were trying to download a link that pointed to a web page that contained another link to the file. When you put your mouse pointer over a file name on a web page, look down at the bottom of your Seamonkey screen. If you do not see the actual file name that you are wishing, then it isn't the actual file; it's just another webpage link.

-Roy

As an afterthought, I think we may be hijacking this thread intended for Boxpup 431. But if you would like more help with wget, dalderton, create a new thread in the Beginner's section of the forum. I will try to make it a point to check there throughout the coming week to answer further questions (providing I have the requested knowledge to share). Gray, et al, my apologies.....

dalderton

#38 Post by dalderton »

Roy Thanks again I will see how I go and if further problems I will start another thread.
Regards Dennis

fuzetsu490

Really Great

#39 Post by fuzetsu490 »

This is the first puplet i've tried since getting into puppy linux and i have to say im really impressed, it looks really good! I've already installed it to a usb and am using it full time (using right now!). I really like the the openbox wm. Thank you!

Edit: Im having a problem with a usb install, ( it takes around 4 minutes to save the changes from ram, this isnt using a pupsave, this is saving to the whole partition of the usb )

Edit (again): I think that the usb problem had something to do with the usb drive i was using, but im not sure...
Last edited by fuzetsu490 on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

spell checking email

#40 Post by prehistoric »

While I haven't succeeded in setting up spell checking via gtkspell, as desired, I've been able to work around this simply by making abiword the external editor for email. It doesn't know to ignore URLs and quoted material, but it is fast enough, and convenient enough, that I have not felt compelled to seek a better solution.

My previous newbie question about mounting sfs files can be ignored. I simply misunderstood the purpose of filemnt.

fuzetsu490

#41 Post by fuzetsu490 »

Q5sys wrote: well I decided to take a shot in the dark and choose not to encrypt the save file and guess what... it works fine. So Im not sure why trying to encrypt it is breaking the save file.
As for your issue, which method of installing are you using? Universal Installer or BootFlash?
I had the same problem, I formatted my usb drive to ext3 using gparted, installed boxpup, raised the boot flag using gparted to make the drive bootable, restarted my computer, booted the drive and everything seemed to work, i then shut down boxpup and tried to create an encrypted pup_save, it was stuck several minutes at the saving screen then told me that the session was not saved. When i restarted and tried to boot it asked me for a my password but couldn't start up. After that i tried to do the same thing as you did, go for no encryption and like you said it worked fine. I havent tried to create an encrypted pup_save with 4.3.1 puppy before this so im not sure if this is a bug or something but im guessing that it only happens in boxpup 431 (this doesnt bother me much since i dont have much need for encryption, i was just testing how it worked.) I have never had any problems creating a bootable usb drive with puppy 4.3.1 though...

Tid

#42 Post by Tid »

Thanks for the tip fuzetsu490. I have been able to save and boot off of USB just fine now that I changed to ext3.
Last edited by Tid on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

Tid

#43 Post by Tid »

Gray, great pup! I have been really pleased with your work and glad you put out another upgrade.

fuzetsu490

#44 Post by fuzetsu490 »

Tid wrote:Thanks for the tip fuzetsu490. I have been able to save and boot off of USB just fine now that I changed to ext3.
No problem, yeah i haven't had any problems with ext3, though i have read that ext2 is better for usb drives. But both seem to work fine, before i had a problem with saving but i suspect that had to do with the usb drive i was using, not the format or the puplet.

Hugh

PWGET and PWSGET

#45 Post by Hugh »

To download from a site which requires the
User: puppy and Password: linux, use the
PWSGET gui which may be downloaded
HERE.

It's a most handy utility for downloads and
will work without inputting the User: and
Password: data for sites which do not
require them.

Copy and paste the URL, add User and
Password where requred, select your
destination folder, and DOWNLOAD!

ninoid

#46 Post by ninoid »

I try many diferent versions of Linux and Puppy derivates and find Boxpup is best because work fine on old computers, is small, fast, stable and have better software (Thunar is better of ROXFiler, FirePup is better of Seamonkey etc.). But, it is too lightly on my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP and I try many diferent drivers and it not work (Catalyst freeze my Boxpup).
How driver I can use?

SOLVED
Use Xorg driver for old ATI card and DRI driver for OpenGL.
Last edited by ninoid on Sat 06 Mar 2010, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#47 Post by Colonel Panic »

I downloaded it and tried it out but sadly I had a couple of crashes in Firefox and had to switch to a different Puplet. Pity, because it still looks good.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Q5sys

#48 Post by Q5sys »

What type of tray does this use? I think its LXPanel, but does anyone know?
And where would I find the config files for it? I'm trying to figure out how how the bar has transparency not only for itself, but for each item on the bar (see attached image)

Also... I know that the drive bar thing is just a copied version of wbar, renamed to vbar and that the config for it is /etc/hotbar/hdbar

But what I dont know is A) how or what in the system auto adds drives to the hdbar file B) how or what is changing the icons in the hdbar file according to whether a drive is mounted or not C) how or what is giving me the dialog box when I click on a drive to mount or dismount or open.

What allows it to auto update itself ? There has to be something somewhere that edits the hdbar file.

And I have yet to be able to figure out how thats working. Can anyone clue me in?
Attachments
bar.png
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 912 times

stu90

#49 Post by stu90 »

Q5sys:
I believe that is the 'tint2' panel

If you go to root folder>view>show hidden files then .config > tint2 then open tint2rc with leafpad.

Q5sys

#50 Post by Q5sys »

stu90 wrote:Q5sys:
I believe that is the 'tint2' panel

If you go to root folder>view>show hidden files then .config > tint2 then open tint2rc with leafpad.
Sweet, thanks alot! Any ideas on the wbar thing for the drives?

I did a bit more digging, and heres what ive come up with so far...

I think that the hdbar file (/etc/hotbar/hdbar)is being written to once pmount is run. I figured this out by editing the file and removing a device or two from the list. Adding a new device and then the new device only would be added to the hdbar. But the ones that were there were before were not re-added. Actually i have no idea how to trip the system into re-adding them other than to remove them from the system and re-attach them.

So its at the point of the device being attached to the system that its being added to the hdbar.
So I thought I'd look through the Pmount stuff and see what I could find. I read through the following and found no reference to the hdbar file. So these arent writing to the file directly.
/usr/sbin/pmount
/sbin/probedisk
/sbin/probedisk2
/sbin/probepart
In fact the only files I could saw being directly written were
/root/.usb-drive-log-probedisk
/root/.usb-drive-log-probepart

then lastly I checked
/bin/mount and /bin/umount

in /bin/mount I found:

#v4.02 if there is a desktop icon (see pup_eventd), then refresh it...
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 -a "$DISPLAY" != "" ];then
 DEVNAME="`busybox mount | tail -n 1 | grep '^/dev/' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
 if [ "$DEVNAME" != "" ];then
  DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | cut -c 1-3`"
  #special case, SD card /dev/mmcblk0p1...
  [ "$DRVNAME" = "mmc" ] && DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | sed -e 's/p[0-9]$//'`"
  xDRVNAME="$DRVNAME" #v404
  devDISPLAYD=`grep "${DEVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  [ ! "$devDISPLAYD" = "" ] && DRVNAME="$DEVNAME" #icon for each partition.
  drvDISPLAYD=`grep "${DRVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  if [ ! "$drvDISPLAYD" = "" ];then
   case $DRVNAME in #v407
    fd*)
     DRV_CATEGORY="floppy"
    ;;
    *)
     dnPATTERN='/dev/'"${xDRVNAME}"'|'
     DRV_CATEGORY="`probedisk2 | grep "$dnPATTERN" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
    ;;
   esac
   icon_mounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
  fi
 fi
fi
and in bin/umount I found:

#v403 if there is a desktop icon (see pup_eventd), then refresh it...
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
 #find which device has been unmounted... v406 add hd*... v407 add fd*...
 MNTDDEVS2="`busybox mount | grep '^/dev/[smhf]' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`" #v403 sd, sr, mmc
 if [ "$MNTDDEVS2" = "" ];then
  DEVNAME="`echo "$MNTDDEVS1" | head -n 1`" #head is a precaution.
 else
  DEVNAME="`echo "${MNTDDEVS1}
${MNTDDEVS2}" | sort | uniq -u | head -n 1`" #head is a precaution.
 fi
 if [ "$DEVNAME" != "" -a "$DISPLAY" != "" ];then
  DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | cut -b 1-3`"
  #special case, SD card /dev/mmcblk0p1...
  [ "$DRVNAME" = "mmc" ] && DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | sed -e 's/p[0-9]$//'`"
  xDRVNAME="$DRVNAME" #v404
  devDISPLAYD=`grep "${DEVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  [ ! "$devDISPLAYD" = "" ] && DRVNAME="$DEVNAME" #icon for each partition.
  drvDISPLAYD=`grep "${DRVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  if [ ! "$drvDISPLAYD" = "" ];then
   case $DRVNAME in #v407
    fd*)
     DRV_CATEGORY="floppy"
    ;;
    *)
     dnPATTERN='/dev/'"${xDRVNAME}"'|'
     DRV_CATEGORY="`probedisk2 | grep "$dnPATTERN" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
    ;;
   esac
   #if any partitions still mounted, leave "MNTD" on icon...
   drvPATTERN='^/dev/'"${DRVNAME}" #important, no space on end.
   #"MNTD" text is intended as a reminder to user that drive needs to be unmounted,
   #   but partitions in use by Puppy cannot be unmounted.
   if [ "`df | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 1,6 -d ' ' | grep "$drvPATTERN" | grep -v ' /initrd/' | grep -v ' /$'`" = "" ];then
    if [ "`df | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 1,6 -d ' ' | grep "$drvPATTERN" | grep -E ' /initrd/| /$'`" != "" ];then
     #only a partition left mntd that is in use by puppy, change green->yellow...
     icon_mounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
    else
     #redraw icon without "MNTD" text...
     icon_unmounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
    fi
   fi
  fi
 fi
fi
Is that what im looking for?