Boxpup 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Roy

#76 Post by Roy »

Sylvander,

I may be out of line here -- as I certainly cannot speak for Gray who created this version -- but I believe his intention with Firefox was that it not save or cache anything from one session to another. My best guess is that he intended to prevent the "Why is my save file self-expanding?" question associated with other versions. (Of course, these are only my personal assumptions.)

Quite frankly, I've found this "feature" to be reassuring when loaning my net-book out to fellow air travelers who were searching for connections or accommodations. I simply removed and pocketed my 32GB SDHC card, containing all of my personal files, before letting them use my machine.

I don't know the method Gray used to accomplish this, but I would bet that if the browsing history and cache were re-enabled, it would meet your expectations.

Alternatively, I have at various times had Opera, Seamonkey 1.18, Seamonkey 2.0x, and Chrome all running flawlessly in Boxpup 431 (in addition to the default Firefox). Although I did not record my step-by-step actions to accomplish these things, I certainly remember enough to point someone in the right direction, should they desire to do likewise.

-Roy

Edit: I might add that I am interested in what you did to slow down the save file writes, as my own net-book is using an internal Solid State Disk.

Sylvander

#77 Post by Sylvander »

1. "if the browsing history and cache were re-enabled, it would meet your expectations."
Exactly so. :D
I found and enabled "Edit->Preferences->Privacy->Use custom settings for history", which made appear the necessary tick-boxes for cookies and history.
Made the necessary choices, and all is now working as I like. 8)

2. "I am interested in what you did to slow down the save file writes"
See 2-a & b here.

Roy

#78 Post by Roy »

Thank you, Sylvander!

-Roy

Sylvander

#79 Post by Sylvander »

A couple of niggling problems:

(a) If I boot Boxpup-431 using the pupsave held on one of the 6 ext3 partitions on my 8GB Flash drive...
It is unable to see/display any of the partitions on it.

(b) Right now, working within Boxpup-431 that's using a copy of the same pupsave that I copies to a folder [only 1 layer down] on a partition on an internal HDD...
And it CAN see/display the partitions on that same 8GB Flash Drive.

2. This Boxpup has both a display in the system tray [of CPU usage?], and also a "CPU graph" widget.
How is it that [under certain circumstances] the system tray display will show max [100%?] usage, yet the "CPU graph" shows no such dramatic increase in usage?
Are they not displaying the same thing?

grimoire

#80 Post by grimoire »

Any recent updates and changes from this puplet?

darry1966

#81 Post by darry1966 »

I am so impressed with this beautiful Pup by Gray here is an update

Flash 10.183.90
Glibc updated to 2.10.1 gtkdialog4 etc.
firefox ESR 17 akita and Seamonkey as alternative
Newer FFmpeg to play mp4 thanks shinobar and Xine-lib and xine Ui
Frisbee installed
Newer Gtkam
Avidemux
Xscreensaver
Flburn added
Latest Mtpaint from Don 570 and added some extra NZ scenery Wallpapers
Streamtuner added
Yep got a bit carried away but enjoy a little bigger than original but I hope you enjoy anyway.
Menu Entry Maker (By the way edit seamonkey on exec line of menu entry to exec seamonkey has the annoying seamonkey &.

Other programs like Abiword original.
Full SDL libraries added.

In order for Audacity - also added there are 2 dependecies to install for it to work included in the folder. Libreadline 6 .pet for frisbee now included in the folder.

finally thank you Gray for the Boxpup series elegant beautiful work.

Installed this on my latop works great.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dazsbar ... 20Updated/

Pelo

Boxpup 431 alsamixer

#82 Post by Pelo »

Boxpup 431, The movie (2014) tested with VirtualMachine.
Madre, the 218.6MB version, is loading.
Alsamixer : use terminal to set the capture columns (mux too)
I added retrovol, and i would like gnome Mplayer with a gui. I added theora too, to get my videos with drec (dpuprec).
Attachments
libtheora-1.0alpha7.pet
Drec uses OGV format, in first step.
(96.05 KiB) Downloaded 251 times