Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#106 Post by James C »

Just did a fresh frugal install of 457 with a new savefile.

Onboard intel 810 graphics.......GLX/DRI working.Driver info below.... :)

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel" #card0driver
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

01micko

#107 Post by 01micko »

Ok guys,

Third time lucky for my Pwidgets package.

As usual test with "pfix=ram" or backup your pupsave. Use at own risk on full installs.

Works for me using "pfix=ram" on upup 456.

Thanks for feedback so far, please continue to give feedback. Remember, you can test on any puppy, not just upup.

Cheers

01micko
Attachments
pwidgets-working.jpg
(43.43 KiB) Downloaded 1286 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#108 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

You can see in my above screeny that xorg doesn't like my wide-screen, in xorg.conf the 'vesa' driver is loaded. My card is the radeon 9200pro, quite an old one, but it works well in dpup and standard pup and also quirky. The driver normally loaded is 'radeon'. I tried to edit xorg.conf inserting radeon but xorg won't start. The only driver seeming to work is vesa.

I have played with ubuntu, mandriva-live and crunch-bang and none of them load the 'radeon' driver and if I load it manually all apps have huge unusable fonts, I mean like about 200px for a lower case char! Must use vesa.

I don't know if there is a simple solution, I've searched around but there isn't much info.

I am open to suggestions :)

Cheers

EDIT: just got 457, same xorg result :(
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 28 Jan 2010, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#109 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi 01micko,

Finally, success again, pwidgets-2.2.3-M-v3.pet works fine on my hardware.

On another success story, your wbar configuration script is working great in TazOC's latest Lighthouse.

Thanks again,
Jim :D

01micko

#110 Post by 01micko »

Great news Jim!

Only need confirmation from a couple of others then zigbert will be satisfied and we can have a unified Pwidgets for all Puppies. :lol:

Cheers

Jim1911

#111 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi playdayz,

Upup 4.57 is looking good, everything is running fine on my hardware. You just keep improving it.

Great,
Jim :D

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

aarf

#112 Post by aarf »

pwidgets-2.2.3-M-v3.pet, pfix=ram, upup456.
get confirmation dialog and proceeded to edit widgets. got this error message (below) ended up with this screen (below)
in Wallpaper Setter I reset the desktop image and briefly got a pop-up error saying "pwidgets unnamed label".
however all seems to be functioning including desktop image.. will install it in prime time when i update to upup457.
Attachments
widgets.error.jpg
(35.2 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times
screen.widgets.jpg
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 1245 times

01micko

#113 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for report aarf.

What you saw is a conflict in the wallpaper setter. Should be ok once you reset the wallpaper, really nothing to do with the repackaging, so I will refer that one to zigbert.

I view this as a positive result.

Cheers

playdayz

#114 Post by playdayz »

01micko and aarf and jim1911, wow guys, nice work. Puppy Solidarity.

01micko, Those distros you mention, ubntu, mandriva, etc, are using xorg <correction> 7.4, I think. I am not sure what Quirky is using--this uPup is taking all my time ;-) I was wondering if the radeonhd driver would work. It might be worth a try. This computer I am on, I remember that in one version, maybe New Years Pup, but around that time, this computer would use the radeon driver but now it uses the radeonhd in uPup.

Another possibility if you feel like experimenting--I was able to compile the ATI Catalyst Control Center and drivers using SHS's devx enhancement (listed in software on first page of thread). That provides the proprietary fglrx driver. Of course, what we want ultimately is all video cards to be correctly installed. Oh wait, the vesa driver has the wide screen resolutions now I have seen, plus it I have also seen that it works with glx/dri--if you have the correct resolution with glx/dri working maybe that is as good as it will get without the proprietary driver??? I will look again but I am not seeing the video problem in the screenshot.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 16 Feb 2010, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#115 Post by 01micko »

I will look again but I am not seeing the video problem in the screenshot.
Yes, it looks ok, but I have a widescreen , it doesn't translate in the screeny, but I am seeing everything w-i-d-e-r :lol:

I will give the radeonhd driver a go and try some things and still search for a solution.

Cheers

aarf

#116 Post by aarf »

have 457 down now but for future use perhaps take a look at the xdelta GUI to greatly cut the download size.simple and quick.

aarf

#117 Post by aarf »

simple and easy except if you have two .iso on a FAT partition and want to calculate the difference delta, you will get
ERROR! failed to generate the .delta file. Error message:
xdelta3: file open failed: write: /mnt/sdc1/upup456/upup-456.iso:upup-457.iso.delta: Invalid argument
because the output file has a : in the name and FAT doesn't like :'s in file names. simple upgrade of xdelta would fix this.
xdelta for 456-457 is just over 9MB.

playdayz

#118 Post by playdayz »

Oh wait, the vesa driver has the wide screen resolutions now I have seen, plus it I have also seen that it works with glx/dri--if you have the correct resolution with glx/dri working maybe that is as good as it will get without the proprietary driver??? I will look again but I am not seeing the video problem in the screenshot.
01micko, I am sorry; I was misremembering this. I checked and the xorg vesa driver will indeed use glx/dri, which is good, but it will not do widescreen, as you know. The xvesa server will do 1400x900 or whatever, but not 1680x1050 and it will not do glx/dri so it is no good for what we want. As you already knew, we need a driver that will do your video properly, widescreen with glx/dri. Sorry again for the misdirection. Is xorgwizard choosing the vesa driver? I have found that the Ubuntu setup was trying to use the fbdev driver when Puppy would usually use vesa, but that fbdev was working for nobody so I took it out. Man, doesn't it seem like one of the regular radeon or radeonhd driver should work. There is also an ati driver but I thought that was for really old hardware.

01micko

#119 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

Still trying to get the card going.. I downloaded ati- catylist from AMD and it compiled and installed fine with only the kernel source and standard devx, I got excited but then deflated.. I ran "aticonfig" only to get the error "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"... bummer :( .

I won't give up... there will be a way, somehow...

Earlier I tried an older package from AMD which supports the Radeon 9200 series, it was an RPM, it installed but it is too old, it was built for xorg 6.8... that was a long time ago... got all sorts of kernel errors, not really unexpected.. ah well.

01micko

#120 Post by 01micko »

playdayz... great news..

I now have my widescreen working and the "radeon" driver loading. All it was was a missing library.. libdrm_radeon.so.1. I found it out in the xorg errors file in /tmp. Also missing is "glide" but I didn't bother with that. The lib was not the easiest to find and probably not the best possible way I did it.. quite dirty in fact so it remains to be seen if everything is solid and stable.

What i did was download a Fedora version of libdrm.. it includes others for nvidia and so on.. I installed the lot after I unrpmed it, but if you want to include it in the Upup 478 iso I would just include the libdrm_radeon.so.1.. can't do any harm.

Here is the link where I got the rpm... http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/ ... adeon.so.1

NOTE: I used the i586 Fedora 11 version.. I figured it would be closest in kernel and xorg version.

I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to use this, a deb would possibly be better, but I couldn't find one.. perhaps just a .pet with the lib would do.. save spoiling the iso... and a warning, however seems ok to me, but like I implied.. early days yet. I will test vigorously over the coming days with games videos etc, throw whatever I can at it..

Cheers
Attachments
success.png
(193.32 KiB) Downloaded 1142 times

playdayz

#121 Post by playdayz »

01micko, you win the Mr. T award for Tenaciousness. Thanks. I will certainly be including it next time--what is puzzling me is why it is not there to begin with. This is a big learning experience for me. I was experimenting with the ati installer tonight also. It was working nicely for me with a 3850. The proprietary ati fglrx driver runs glxgears with about twice the frame rate of the xorg radeonhd driver. I am going to write up a how to since I think that might work for some people (with newer ati cards it sounds like).

<edit> ah-ha, in looking at Woof, I see where it should be--Barry takes it out of course, in order to get the simplest and smallest xorg. That's one of the things I have been doing, making sure all the glx/dri (and now drm!) files are installed. From what I see there was only libdrm_intel, lib_drm_nouveau, and one other--you probably solved problems for some other people too. Plus, I will be able to use the regular Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic files, which should be a good thing for compatibility and stability.

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

Aw gee... thanks!

I now will do a clean frugal make sure it is all good, lots of crap in my system at the moment.. I get segmentation fault when i try to run glxgears... probably a conflict with the catylist driver which is still there and includes it's own version of glx gears.

Ah, just saw your edit.. good!!!

Cheers

timremy

#124 Post by timremy »

hello

i am running 457 on an intel m proc 900mhz.

no problem, connects and works.

timremy

ps: 456 worked good too.

aarf

#125 Post by aarf »

With reference to :http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389
and the fixed profile in Dpup484
upup457 can be fixed by pasting

Code: Select all

#v4.84 Rox select problem
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

ulimit -c 0
if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
 umask 002
else
 umask 022
fi
USER=`id -un`
PS1="# "
LOGNAME=$USER
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILE="$HOME/.history"
EDITOR=mp
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
into /etc/profile immediately ABOVE this line:

Code: Select all

#v2.16 this need arose when considering SFS files that may require special env. variables.
#this code is lifted straight from Vector...
or you can try an overwrite of /usr/profile with the CONTENTS of the attached file
Attachments
profile.tar.gz
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 432 times