Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#31 Post by playdayz »

The md5sums seem to have been swaped.
I get 821777303bff3e2d01877965da8092bc upup-451.iso
175de6625dfb7d43d0aa691612916b19 upup_devx_451.sfs
Got it. Thanks.
My Belkin USB2.0 WLAN is working and autoconnects at reboot.
That is good news. Mine too.
Trying to setup CUPS printing failed due to "500 Internal Server Error". But installing the cups-1.3.10-1-uj pet made installation of my Okipage 14ex printer possible.
Install *and* print correctly? Just being careful. cups-1.3.10-1-uj is the one that is supposed to be in there. It is in there but it is possible something gets whacked by something else that is there and adding the pet restores workability. I should be able to compare before and after--thanks for the good info. I have successfully avoided cups all my life but I guess I am old enough now ;-)

And thanks for the script. Have you posted it where others using Woof can find it? Maybe as a comment on Barry's blog; he will want to see it I would think. I have been thinking I could make a contribution by building a Woof Karmic Puplet for the "milestones" in Woof development, in which case the script could be extremely useful. Woof-karmic is my everyday Linux now so this is something I would be doing anyway.

mavrothal

alsaconf

#32 Post by mavrothal »

I'm using your uPup 451 on the OLPC XO-1 laptop and so far I had 2 problems.
Wireless connects to open Access Points but not encrypted ones. I guess I could live with this.
Sound is not working because the card is not detected (Marvell sc5535) but then alsaconf fails to run because the required mktemp command does not exist.

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

hey mavrothal, The mktemp.pet is in this repo http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-4/
You can scroll down and then download it. I think if you are using Seamonkey you need to Right-Click and choose Save Link As. That should work with any browser. It will be in the next build of uPup Karmic, especially if you report that it solved this problem. SHS's gcc 4.4.1 from the first message in this thread would also work, but it takes much memory (~400MB in all to install the pet).

At what point does the wireless fail to connect to encrypted access points? Have you tried Pwireless? It is under Menu -> Network -> Network applications.

davec51

CUPS Problem

#34 Post by davec51 »

I like the look of Upup. When I tried to connect my remote printer (HDPhotosmart 4600 series with an XP server), I get the message, "internal server error." Is this a Upup problem, a CUPS problem, or some sort of deep psychological problem of mine?

mavrothal

#35 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:hey mavrothal, The mktemp.pet is in this repo http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-4/
You can scroll down and then download it. I think if you are using Seamonkey you need to Right-Click and choose Save Link As. That should work with any browser. It will be in the next build of uPup Karmic, especially if you report that it solved this problem. SHS's gcc 4.4.1 from the first message in this thread would also work, but it takes much memory (~400MB in all to install the pet).
Sorry I have already installed shs's pet (and upup devx). So I guess to try your pet I have to remove them, and is a full install...
Anyway, mktemp is fine and alsaconf runs but can not find the card at all.
At what point does the wireless fail to connect to encrypted access points? Have you tried Pwireless? It is under Menu -> Network -> Network applications.
The wireless connects to encrypted APs but dhcp fails to get a valid address.
Pwirless does not work at all! the scan does not detect any access points though it sees the interfaces. I do not know if the fact that the XO-1 has wireless in eth0 "confuses" the Pwireless.

playdayz

#36 Post by playdayz »

Sorry I have already installed shs's pet (and upup devx). So I guess to try your pet I have to remove them, and is a full install...
No worries mavrothal. That would be a mess. I have had great luck with SHS's gcc. There are a number of people working on XOpup who might have ideas. Oh, I see you started the XOpup Interest Group ;-) mktemp willl be included in the next Upup in a day or two. You can test the live-CD I guess so you don't have to install and reinstall. I know ttuuxxx thought a uPup might be a good choice as a base for the XOpup, am I right? I am thinking that is a good modest goal for me, not to try anything fancy but just get the basics ironed out as much as possible.

@davec51. ecube reported that (re)installing the cups pet made the difference. It is there, but something must be getting damaged. You can find it here.
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributi ... ages-woof/
ecube said this on a message on page 2 of this thread.
Trying to setup CUPS printing failed due to "500 Internal Server Error". But installing the cups-1.3.10-1-uj pet made installation of my Okipage 14ex printer possible.

Jim1911

#37 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz,

Just installed your latest upup452. I'm glad to see that you are continuing with it and will definitely try it out.

It's looking good, and runs well on my system with only a few problems:
1. nvidia driver entry had to be edited to read "nv" before xorg would work with my video card.
2. Printer Setup will not work. the Cups Printer Manager opens the CUPS 1.4.1 screen, however when Printers Menu is selected it states "500 Internal Server Error".

FWIW, I've installed the following software pets:
1. Firefox-3.5.5-Flash10-SimpeMail-wysiwyg.pet (works fine)
2. gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj.pet (works fine)
3. bibletime-2.4.1-i686-dpup.pet (works after installing missing libaudio.so.2, except no menu icons are showing, however it is designed for dpup which also has the menu icons missing)

Thanks,
Jim

timremy

upup 452

#38 Post by timremy »

hello playdayz

(intel dual core 1500)

i tried the new upup 452 and its quit good.

thought i would just let you know, i think

its a keeper.

good luck

timremy

invisible man

Glitches?

#39 Post by invisible man »

Alternately the last 2 releases; gave trouble on a full install. Had to jockey to Xvesa, and back to Xorg after reboot and saving 2fs file, for screen to work .A 1024 x 16 screen choice that is recognized by previous Puppy installs; (though my netbook screen is only 10 inch.) Wizard setup for cdrom/dvd, gives only a page of x dialog; no choices, displayed. I am using an HP110NR, netbook, and an external LG optical drive. Inserted Broadcom Pet cd --not shown on desktop, haven't a found way to mount cd drive. Currently writing from D-Pup 484, on seperate partition. Invisible Man

Jim1911

#40 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi playdayz

Your upup 453 with a fresh install runs well on my system with only a few problems that were also on 452. It also updated a upup452 pup_save without problems as well as creating a new pup_save.
1. nvidia driver entry had to be edited to read "nv" before xorg would work with my video card.
2. Printer Setup will not work. the Cups Printer Manager opens the CUPS 1.4.1 screen, however when Printers Menu is selected it states "500 Internal Server Error".
5) Cups. Does it work? If it does not, then does it help to download and install this cups pet ->
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributi ... 0-1-uj.pet
Sorry, installing the pet above does not help, browser opens with a blank screen. Other suggestions?

Cheers,
Jim

cain071546

Thanx

#41 Post by cain071546 »

i had the issue with the nvidea driver but was able to fix it as stated above it is a nice little distro, lightweight even for puppy
ill use it on my netbook and see how that goes
i did find that even with its smaller footprint i found that 4.3.1
loads faster either way i like it ok well THANX to to everybody in the linux
world and just in time for the new year MCL yall Whoop Whoop

timremy

upup 453

#42 Post by timremy »

hello playdayz

i am trying upup 453 and its right at the top for what i use puppy for.

this is very exciting having a couple of great pups.

right now i see three top notch: quirky 002, stardust 003 and yours,

upup 453.

that's great.

good luck.

timremy

James C

#43 Post by James C »

I attempted to install Upup 453 on my test box but kept getting a kernel panic. Tried the disc in another computer , it loaded but couldn't get X to work so......... guess I'll wait for the next release.
I'm still running 451 though and its working pretty well on the above mentioned test box.

I'll probably try 453 again tomorrow......it'll probably load this time. :)

Tui

Woof2010-0105

#44 Post by Tui »

Hi all I have been looking for the latest version of WOOF 2010-0105 but
can't seem to find it's location.

Can anyone lead me in the direction of it's hiding place ?

Thanks Tui

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Just as an update, tried 453 in a third computer and I'm posting from it now. Guess I'd better check the optical drive in the box where I got the kernel panic..... :)

ckteo172

Slow Screen Redraw / jerky video after screen rotation

#46 Post by ckteo172 »

playdayz,

I'm having slow screen redraw / jerky video playback after using xrandr to rotate the screen by 90 degree on a Intel 945GM Platform. I'm using VLC 0.9.2 to do the video playback.

Any idea what can be done to improve the situation?

Attached is the xorg log file.

Thanks
Attachments
upup453_Xorglog.tar.gz
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

oui

#47 Post by oui »

Hi

this seems to be a great Puppy but the screen become each new start dark. actually it is completely black :lol: : not possible to read ONE letter on the screen :roll: . my wife did say to me "you did found the best puppy for you, it is wunderfull... :idea: "

can you help me not to go to early to bed :D

bye

oui
ACER Laptop emachine with AMD64

playdayz

#48 Post by playdayz »

Quote:
5) Cups. Does it work? If it does not, then does it help to download and install this cups pet ->
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributi ... 0-1-uj.pet

Sorry, installing the pet above does not help, browser opens with a blank screen. Other suggestions?

Cheers,
Jim
Yes, Jim, we yell for help!!! I believe ttuuxxx has worked on cups in some other versions and may have an answer--I asked him. And maybe someone else will see the solution.

Also Jim, when you edited the xorg.conf entry to read "nv," was it "nouveau that you changed it *from*? Including me that is at least 3 or 4 people who have had to change from "nouveau" to "nv" and so I am considering leaving out the "nouveau" driver--at least as a test. I'll try that in the next build from Woof 0107.

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Also Jim, when you edited the xorg.conf entry to read "nv," was it "nouveau that you changed it *from*? Including me that is at least 3 or 4 people who have had to change from "nouveau" to "nv" and so I am considering leaving out the "nouveau" driver--at least as a test. I'll try that in the next build from Woof 0107.
That's correct. My card is a BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB which can properly use the latest drivers, so nouveau is the problem in my situation. I've tried the NVIDIA-185.18.36-k2.6.30.5-1.pet which has the proper driver, but had no success with it. Of course, "nv" doesn't support 3d so that's not the best solution.

I meant to mention that a pupsave created by Barry's upup432 was successfully updated. Cups didn't work in that version either.

On cups, with the next build, you may want to try the earlier cups-1.3.10-1 instead of 1.4.1. The problem could be that cups-1.3.10-1-uj.pet just doesn't properly install over the newer version.

Thanks for sticking with upup,
Jim

James C

#50 Post by James C »

Changed the optical drive and now have a frugal install of 453 on my test box, no real problems to speak of yet.

I really dislike those intermittent hardware problems though..... :)