upup 454 printer test

#61 Post by ecube »

Printer testing report

HP LaserJet P2014 (USB), Canon PIXMA iP4600 (USB),
CUPS 1.4.1: No printers found
CUPS 1.3.10: Printers found and set up. Test pages printed

OKIpage 14ex (LPT)
CUPS 1.4.1 No printers found
CUPS 1.3.10 Printer found and set up. Error: Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!

ttuuxxx

#62 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi guys when you post your printer results could you also post what type of cable is being used, Cups in the past worked on usb and didn't work with parallel cables, then another time it didn't work with parallel cables and worked with usb. It helps with figuring out where to look and fix. Like ecube did above :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

playdayz

#63 Post by playdayz »

hi ecube, thanks for the results. I guess I knew it wasn't over ;-) Could you add this pet and see if it improves matters in 1.4.1? It contains the cups files plus some extra drivers. It might also be worth trying to have the printers connected when you boot, or conversely, to plug them in after you boot--just the obvious. I am assuming you are using 4.55. BTW, if you click the Printer tab does it show the PDF-Writer or Cups-PDF; it did for me. You are clicking Adding Printers and Classes and then Add Printer, rather than just going straight to the Printers tab? Also, you would need to stop and start cups after installing the pet, or reboot. To stop and start enter at a terminal, /etc/init.d/cups restart.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/cups-lrs.pet

The printer I was using to test was a USB Brother HL 2040.; I carried it around to three different computers. What cups was doing for me was finding that printer by name but it would also indicate that there were connections for lpt1 and serial printers. I have a parallel Epson that I will try asap.

Jim1911

#64 Post by Jim1911 »

upup455,clean frugal installation, works fine except for cups.

Cups finds my usb HP Photosmart C5280 and seems to work fine except for the last screen, see attached screenshot.

Your previous upups, did not recognize the printer at all so it has improved somewhat.

Barry's latest Quirky004 uses cups 1.3.11 which works fine.

Edit: Installed the following: gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486uj with ppm, firefox-3.5.5-Flash10-SimpleMail-wysiwyg.pet(upgraded fine to 3.5.7), Thunderbird-3.0.pet which work fine. However, pwidgets-2.2.1.pet breaks the pup save by locking down all desktop icons.

Will continue testing.
Jim
Attachments
printer.png
(183.28 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »

Upup 4.55 frugal fresh install. I Installed usb HP Laserjet 1020 with foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486.pet and your pet http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/cups-lrs.pet succesfully. Petget did not work automaticallywith cups-lrs.pet, it was associated to pupzip (default). I had to take open with option and find /usr/logal/petget/petget. There were still some weird behavior but it installed at last. After that installation went without incident with cups.

Firefox works also, after update also. Qcad installed from ubuntu repo.

Oh yes, Pwireless worked without problem with iwlagn driver. Posting from upup.

James C

#66 Post by James C »

I just completed a fresh, manual frugal install of 455 on my old P3 test box.Will post again after I experiment a little..... :)

James C

#67 Post by James C »

I've installed Firefox 3.5.6 w/Flash 10.0r42, Opera 10.10, Google Chrome and several small card games with no installation problems and everything is working fine so far...... :)

playdayz

There's a New Upup

#68 Post by playdayz »

The latest Karmic Puppy uPup Version 4.56 made from the Woof posted on JAN 20 2010 is posted in the first message of this thread. Cups "worked" on 4 computers for me so i have hopes it will work for you ;-) The graphics installed properly on 4 test computerss with S3, Intel, Nvidia, and Radeon graphics. I hope it might be useful to you somehow. Thanks.

gposil

#69 Post by gposil »

New Mirror....

http://dpup.org/upup/

Cheers from Dpup...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Jim1911

#70 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz,

Great :D , everything appears to be working fine on this one (456), including printing with a fresh frugal installation. It also updated a 455 pup-save file that seems to run OK, but it still had the old printing problem.

Now for the fun of seeing how it runs added software. Firefox is already working great.

Thanks,
Jim :D
System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

James C

#71 Post by James C »

Updated to a fresh frugal install of 456, I can't test printing (printer down) but otherwise no real problems to speak of.... :)

timremy

#72 Post by timremy »

hello playdayz

i just tried upup 456. works great for me. i do not do printing

anymore. i kept getting to mad and my wife came up with an

idea for me. i email my print jobs down to a internet cafe and

pick them up. but as for everything else, i am amazed how you

programmers put these programs together. my switching to

linux and then puppy linux after all those years with windows was

the best switch i ever made.

timremy

playdayz

#73 Post by playdayz »

Thank you gposil for the extra mirror. For anyone who does not know, gposil develops Dpup (a Puppy based on Debian as Upup is based on Ubuntu). Dpup is much more significantly customized than Upup is though, even including the Synaptic package manager for easy installation of the extensive collection of Debian software packages. It also looks really great on the screen! Plus, it is using C Lib 2.10. The Dpup.org site also looks great.
Dpup -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50728 & http://www.dpup.org

Thanks for your story timremy. Believe me, after working with Cups (Common Unix Printing System) I understand what you mean about printing ;-) I do almost no programming however. Mainly I jam just learning how to use Woof--which is the program BarryK designed to "spawn" Puppies. The goal is to help develop that program (Woof) so anyone could use it to make a Puppy of their own, customized to their preferences.

@Jim1911. Are you using Namaroka (Firefox) 3.6pre; there is a link in the first message. It tests about 25% better than Firefox 3.5 on the Peacekeeper browser benchmark. It even feels faster I think.
That's due to gecko 1.9.2 as I understand it.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#74 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:@Jim1911. Are you using Namaroka (Firefox) 3.6pre; there is a link in the first message. It tests about 25% better than Firefox 3.5 on the Peacekeeper browser benchmark. It even feels faster I think.
No, I used a firefox3.5 sfs which updated itself to 3.7 and has been reliable. Don't remember where it's from. I'll give your link a try.

I also have Bibletime-2.4.1.sfs, wine-1.1.28-i486.pet, e-Sword951 using wine, and gnome-games-lite_2.26.1-i486uj.pet installed and working good. So far, only pwidgets-2.2.1.pet has caused problems. it locked up the desktop and contaminated the pup-save.

Jim

pemasu

#75 Post by pemasu »

I got clamav working from karmic repository. I installed all the depencies and after that launched clamscan. I fixed errors one by one. I had to install adduser and I created user clamav and /home/clamav folder. I got errors of three missing files. I created manually freshclam.conf and two log files and gave permisssions to them.
I found from the net example freshclam.conf and it worked as it was.
I got clamscan working and freshclam updated the virus database.

The need was my mother`s XP laptop which was infected by Fakeit trojan. It was spreaded to multiple locations although virus protection was on and able to restrict it. After full scan and removal of residual virus locations
I wanted to be sure it was cleaned, so I scanned ntfs partitions by booting from upup memory stick with clamav.

Nice XP virus rescue tool.

PS. Fprot installation does not work anymore from menu. After installation fprot end to error > cant recognise the version number. Due to fprot version upgrade I think. It would be nice if somebody could fix it.

Jim1911

#76 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:@Jim1911. Are you using Namaroka (Firefox) 3.6pre; there is a link in the first message. It tests about 25% better than Firefox 3.5 on the Peacekeeper browser benchmark. It even feels faster I think.
I've installed Firefox 3.6 final and it runs fine but crashes unexpectedly on some sites, also as you noted it seems faster. Although final, it still needs work. 3.5 is more reliable.
Jim

oui

#77 Post by oui »

Hi

I am sorry, but for my use is this version a TOTAL FLOP and the worst of all :roll: ... the screen become completely dark at starting point of X :shock: and it is absolutely not possible to turn on the backlight of the laptop :oops: . it is extremly difficult to find the black cursor on the dark screen to restart the PC and the dark background is a difficulty more in the context...

terrible.

salut

Jim1911

#78 Post by Jim1911 »

oui,

Sorry about your bad experience, however, please post information about your hardware. it will be good to know which hardware is having trouble.

Thanks,
Jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#79 Post by Béèm »

I tried the 455 and now the 456, but I have to select xvesa as xorg doesn't work.

I did read the section about ATI, as I have a radeon 7500 card, but I don't understand what I have to put in xorg.config.
Where should I put the correct radeon driver?

EDIT
I supposed that I had to edit the xorg.conf and replace the fbdev with radeon on the driver line.

I tried, but CTRL-K nor CTRL-X brings me out of E3.
I am at a loss.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#80 Post by playdayz »

Beem,
I supposed that I had to edit the xorg.conf and replace the fbdev with radeon on the driver line.
I think that is it exactly. Once you have made the change then it should be CTRL-K, then X to save and exit e3. Then xwin should start X. However, if youhave been using xvesa then you will need to run xorgwizard to switch back to X. My Thinkpad T22 has S3 graphics so I can give no help there unfortunately. Thank you because you have given me a clue; I don't know why that fbdev is in there at all--I don't think anyone uses it--I should take it out. You could try to remove "fbdev" from a command line and then run xorgwizard and see what happens. No guarantee. Removing fbdev might be necessary otherwise xorgwizard would just install it again. I will make a version without fbdev and post a link tomorrow--if that would be convenient.

Code: Select all

rm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
oui, Please note that 4.3.1 is the current release of Puppy Linux. This is a development release, so problems are to be expected. If you want a development version that might have fewer issues you might try gposil's Dpup. We are chipping away at the problems one by one. We are also tracking the latest changes that Barry makes to Woof, the Puppy builder, so sometimes a bug can sneak in that way. I have had that black screen with other versions of Puppy and it is very difficult to deal with. If you want to help debug you might try starting uPup with the line

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=nox

Type that when the very first splash screen comes up and Puppy will stop before trying to start X. Then you can use e3 to read your xorg.conf (as described in the first message in this thread). If you have "fbdev" listed after "driver" then that will help because that seems to be the problem Beem is having also. You can replace "fbdev" with the driver appropriate to your video card. If you give some details about your video, someone will probably be able to figure out which driver is necessary. If you are feeling adventurous, you could try to remove "fbdev" assuming that is the driver that is causing the problem, using the command above and then rerun xorgwizard to see what happens. No guarantees of course. The version tomorrow might work for you too.