dpup 484 beta- customized jwmrc-tray and pwireless

zenfunk

dpup 484 beta- customized jwmrc-tray and pwireless

#1 Post by zenfunk »

OK, I customized my .jwmrc-tray file in dpup 484. Somehow it gets overwritten with the original file from /opt/wbar (I'm sorry if I cant give you the exact paths as I'm not at my puppy machine right now) by certain scripts regularly. So far I identified .xinitrc and dpupstart. I commented out these lines but it seems to happen still. It only stops wenn I overwrite the files (jwmrc-tray and jwmrc-tray-nobar) in /opt/wbar with my new ones. Are there any other scripts that keep restoring the .jwmrc-tray configfile?

Also, I had to comment out the line that starts pwireless in dpupstartup because I have a wpa encrypted wlan and pwireless only handles wep. It seems that starting pwireless hinders the normal puppy network manager to apply the saved settings to my network setup. However, after commenting out the line in the startup script everything is fine again.

What is the rationale of including this beta stage software (pwireless) in puppy and making it the default network manager? The default puppy network manager is a bit clumsy indeed, but it can work with every network type. I tried out briefly lucid puppy and was impressed by barries simple network setup script. Probably this one is a better way of managing networks- I haven't tested it extensively though.

Keep up the good work,
Christian

zenfunk

#2 Post by zenfunk »

Replying to my own post - but anyways.

I remembered where I had seen pwireless before- it looks a lot like wicd. So I figure that it is based on it. I also remembered that early versions of wicd didn't work with wpa. Could it be that pwireless is based on such an early version?
Anyone else having problems with pwireless?