Precord0.9.5 audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mcewanw

Precord 8.0.2 released. Now internationalised.

#136 Post by mcewanw »

It is advised to remove all traces of previous precord versions before installing this, though it probably doesn't matter.

Version 8.0.2 released. Dotpet in first post of this thread.
# Changes: Now Internationalised.
Please test, and upload translations to this thread.

Note: I don't want to change the interface size if possible. So if necessary, please abbreviate your translations to fit.

EDIT: Sorry, just discovered an introduced bug. I'll re-upload once I sort that out.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord 8.0.2 released. Internationalised. Fixed/re-uploaded

#137 Post by mcewanw »

'Fixed' and re-uploaded

Version 8.0.2 released. Download from first post in this thread.

It is advised to remove all traces of previous precord versions before installing new ones, though it probably doesn't matter.

Been lots of changes underneath so reports of it working/malfunctioning would be appreciated.
github mcewanw

plankenstein

#138 Post by plankenstein »

Just used the lucid version last night to record some youtube audio. Worked like a champ! Thank you so very much.
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

mcewanw

Precord 8.0.3 released. Internationalised

#139 Post by mcewanw »

Version 8.0.3 released. Download from first post in this thread.

It is advised to remove all traces of previous precord versions before installing new ones, though it probably doesn't matter.

# Changes: Just a small change from 8.0.2: I shortened the play stop button response time.

Now Internationalised.

Been lots of changes underneath recently so reports of it working/malfunctioning would be appreciated.
github mcewanw

Pelo

ça ne marche pas avec Slacko 5.3.3

#140 Post by Pelo »

Although capture set in alsamixer, precord records nothing at all, but this tool works well in lucid and racy.
I think the problem is not Precord, but Slacko.

Obviously, XVIDCAP does not record too. I was trying precord to test.
I test Precord 8.0.3 with Lucid 5.2.8 and I come back to inform you.
Precord runs on Slacko 5.3.3 XFCE : 2014 with specific version for Slacko

Have a nice week-end
Attachments
814.jpg
Settings by default
(53.72 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

precord 8.03 works in macpup (based on lucid 5.2.8)

#141 Post by Pelo »

precord 8.03 works in macpup (based on lucid 5.2.8), Not with Slacko 5.3.3.

what should be the reason ?

Nevertheless, i thing that a recording tool must be present on any computer.

I have definitively trashed Slacko 5.3.3. Previous versions were safer.

mcewanw

#142 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo, could you check the post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 486#650486

That post was really about problems with flash, nevertheless your problem in Slacko may also be something to do with the wrong sound module or modules being detected and loaded by Slacko. I'm just curious if you could try these commands from that link post whilst in Slacko and then try Precord there again. Easiest way to set up Precord, after trying the commands from that link, is to press the Mixer button in Precord big GUI and make sure you have the Capture control turned high in Retrovol and have your Mic selected and Mic boost selected and also select and turn up PCM and the Master volume. All going well, the alsa VU rxvt display will verify that your Mic is working (or not). Glad to hear things are fine in your Lucid (Macpup) installation at least though.

On my old machine at home, Wary actually gave the least problems with alsa sound, but Slacko worked well for me after running the commands given in the above link. I imagine it all depends on your machine's hardware and most people probably have alsa sound detected correctly by Slacko and working without issue.

I actually used Slacko-5.3.3 for most of the development work in the most recent Precord release, and I'm using Slacko at the moment and Precord is working fine on my machine. I also have Lucid 5.2.8 and Wary 5.3 on this same machine, and I use them all pretty much equally and also for testing Precord.

EDIT: I forgot to suggest you first try simply re-initialising alsa on your Slacko system by running the command alsaconf from a console. Precord is, I'm sure you understand, just a frontend for controlling primarily the alsa sound processes arecord and aplay as well as ffmpeg. Precord won't work if your soundcard isn't being detected correctly such that the underlying alsa system is working. And the mixer controls also have to be set up correctly before recording.

Slacko-5.3.3 does come with the program mhWaveEdit (under submenu Multimedia) which can Record audio (click on its Play menu to find Record...). That has a nice active VU meter which may help you verify if your underlying sound system is functioning.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord Version 8.0.4 released.

#143 Post by mcewanw »

Precord Version 8.0.4 released. Download from first post in this thread.

Tested on Slacko-5.3.3, Lupu-5.2.8 and Wary 5.3 (I'm currently downloading Precise to try it there too - should be fine...)

No further features planned for the moment. Just bug fixing this one. Been significant changes with this "final" so all testing and bug reports appreciated. No bugs known as yet... NOTE WELL:

Definitely remove all traces of previous precord versions before installing this. Once you remove previous installation using petget package manager you must also delete the hidden config file /root/.precord or the new precord won't start. This version has new variables which aren't in the previous config file. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord Version 8.0.5 released.

#144 Post by mcewanw »

Version 8.0.5 released: More logical drag and drop facility:
File entry takes precedence over Directory entry on filepath decision. Tidied up some of the code. NOTE WELL:

Definitely remove all traces of previous precord versions before installing this. Once you remove previous installation using petget package manager you must also delete the hidden config file /root/.precord or the new precord won't start. This version has new variables which aren't in the previous config file. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
github mcewanw

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#145 Post by Flash »

Racy 5.3 comes with Precord preinstalled, so removing it before installing a newer version isn't really an option. Apparently the newer version installed over the older one without any problem. I played around with it a bit last night. Good job!

L18L

Re: Precord mp3,wav,ogg recorder/player version 8.0.5 released

#146 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote:...Version 8.0.2 released.
Please test, and upload translations to this thread....
tested in puppy precise 5.3.93
fixed helpsetup using version 8.0.5-->8.0.6

Attached /usr/bin/precord-8.0.6 and
german translation which is far away from being perfect
Attachments
precord.gz
version 8.0.6
/usr/bin/precord
(39.2 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
MoManager-de_DE-precord-8.0.6.tar.gz
contains just
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/precord.mo
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

mcewanw

#147 Post by mcewanw »

@L18L: thanks for that. I hadn't tested that the gettexts all worked. I had already almost completed version 8.0.6 (for other reasons) so I modified the helptext so that it can now be internationalised too.

The main problem actually was that I had failed to escape a few single quotes, which was mucking up gettext operation. I have therefore modified the help text slightly to fix that. I also split the printf statements into smaller parts of around ten lines each as an aid to the translators. Hope your earlier translation is easy to modify for the new precord version.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord mp3,wav,ogg recorder/player version 8.0.6 released

#148 Post by mcewanw »

Version 8.0.6: Rearranged the small GUI such that the rec/play buttons come first. That way the small GUI can be dragged part way off the right hand side of the screen and still be operatable.
Fixed helpsetup for internationalisation (thanks L18L for the pointer).

To take up the least real estate possible, when in small GUI mode you can now drag precord off the right hand screen edge so only rec, pause and stop buttons are visible. Only occupies around 100pixels wide that way. I often right click its menu bar and put precord as Layer Top, when browsing or using it to record skype conversations. Hence my wish to minimise the screen realestate needed for operation. For example, note that Precord is simply the three buttons at the very top right of the screen capture at the foot of this post:

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the new version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord (glad it ran okay for you anyway Flash). This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
Attachments
UsingTinyPrecord.jpg
Using precord as Layer Top whilst skyping
(56.31 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
github mcewanw

L18L

helpsetup

#149 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote:... I also split the printf statements into smaller parts of around ten lines each as an aid to the translators. ...
try to delete each "printf " after the first one
and the help is displayed in its entire length :wink:

mcewanw

Re: helpsetup

#150 Post by mcewanw »

L18L wrote:
mcewanw wrote:... I also split the printf statements into smaller parts of around ten lines each as an aid to the translators. ...
try to delete each "printf " after the first one
and the help is displayed in its entire length :wink:
Yes. I know that! :-)

I split it in purpose per the offiicial guidelines of gnu.org gettext documentation/manual, section 4.3 Preparing Translatable Strings

Please refer to: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/man ... ranslators
gnu.org wrote: Translatable strings should be limited to one paragraph; don't let a single message be longer than ten lines. The reason is that when the translatable string changes, the translator is faced with the task of updating the entire translated string. Maybe only a single word will have changed in the English string, but the translator doesn't see that (with the current translation tools), therefore she has to proofread the entire message.

Many GNU programs have a ‘--help’ output that extends over several screen pages. It is a courtesy towards the translators to split such a message into several ones of five to ten lines each.
EDIT: @L18L: Please note that version 8.0.7 is released. It includes a change to STOP RECORD button functionality so also includes one small change to a gettext string also (the STOP RECORD label).
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord mp3,wav,ogg recorder/player version 8.0.7 released

#151 Post by mcewanw »

Download at first post.

# Changes:
Version 8.0.7: Record stop button opens mixer/vu if not recording.
Useful in small GUI (which has no mixer button per se) since adjusting mixer so crucial to good recordings.
Version 8.0.6: Rearranged the small GUI such that the rec/play buttons come first. That way the small GUI can be dragged part way off the right hand side of the screen and still be operatable.
Fixed helpsetup for internationalisation.

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the newest version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord (glad it ran okay for you anyway Flash). This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
github mcewanw

L18L

#152 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote:...
EDIT: @L18L: Please note that version 8.0.7 is released. It includes a change to STOP RECORD button functionality so also includes one small change to a gettext string also (the STOP RECORD label).
Every change is handled by momanager, no problem.

May be this code snippet can explain better howto display the entire precord setup help, and fix it :wink:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's#"printf "##' /usr/bin/precord
Attachments
precord_help_en.png
before applying above fix
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 882 times

mcewanw

#153 Post by mcewanw »

L18L wrote:
mcewanw wrote:...
May be this code snippet can explain better howto display the entire precord setup help, and fix it :wink:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's#"printf "##' /usr/bin/precord
Hahaha touché

But what do you expect when I am coding whilst in full care of a screaming 8 month baby boy... I admit, I didn't look at the help to check it, bad me, just quickly looked at the pot. I'll release 8.0.8 tomorrow then... sigh. It's one in the morning here - long past my bedtime.
github mcewanw

L18L

#154 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote: touché.
Sorry
Here to help :)

mcewanw

Precord version 8.0.8 released

#155 Post by mcewanw »

# Changes:
Version 8.0.8: Version 8.0.8: Fixed pause date-stamped record. Fixed help text.

Version 8.0.7: Record stop button opens mixer/vu if not recording.
Useful in small GUI (which has no mixer button per se) since adjusting mixer so crucial to good recordings.
Fixed helpsetup for internationalisation.

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the newest version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord (glad it ran okay for you anyway Flash). This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...

Version 8.0.5: More logical drag and drop facility:
File entry takes precedence over Directory entry on filepath decision. Tidied up some of the code.
github mcewanw