BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 4.3.1-Release-Candidate -- bug reports

#1 Post by BarryK »

See blog announcement here:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01161

Download:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... CANDIDATE/

Built with 2.6.30.5 kernel. In 'special-puppies' folder I built 'pup-431-INTEL_MODEMS.iso' with the extra 536 and 537* drivers.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

James C

#2 Post by James C »

Just did a full hard drive install of 4.31 RC on my P3 test box. No problems with installer or Gparted at all.

Haven't had a chance to test much yet but my first observation is that the boot seems much faster for some reason.Noticeable difference.

Already installed Firefox 3.5, Opera 10 and ttuuxxx's AlsaPlayer/Streamtuner........all installed and work fine.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

boot seems much faster
Glad you said that, I noticed it too :)
Just been trying to set up ALSA and Mhedit to record
No :cry:

Just trying to get my old PC working
to see if Puppy will run it
It is not powering up for some reason . . . m m m . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

svgt

#4 Post by svgt »

Puppy network wizard cannot see any active network interfaces. I have a normal lan connection. In 430 und 431.1firefox puppies it is working fine.

Regards
svgt

PS: Withdraw: Ethernet network connection ok. I tried it to early from the live-cd. After full hdd installation it works fine.
Last edited by svgt on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

esmourguit

#5 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour,
Test of Puppy 4.31 RC.
Locale fr_FR : Very fast, both loading into memory as launching applications. Superb.
Ethernet network connection Ok,
Printer HP shared with Windows OK.
I tried to install Sylpheed, but before I clicked on the More Info button, html viewer displays the page in Japanese : http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/ja/
Not so important.
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

When I press the 'execute' button in geany, my bash script won't run.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Something a little odd with MIME default textedittor? Basically, open as text was borked until I dropped the geany bin into the 'open with' dialogue. All ok after that. For some strange reason, ttcorefont.pet does not 'take', so is not recognised by seamonkey.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

sinc

#8 Post by sinc »

I'm sorry if this is an unintelligent question but where is partview? I can't find it and tried to pfind it and still couldn't.

shinobar

youtube.sh

#9 Post by shinobar »

i found a small typo.

/usr/sbin/youtube.sh - at line 35, one blank charactor inserted.
echo "Connecting to "$hos tl

correct:
echo "Connecting to "$hostl

Billtoo

Puppy 4.3.1-Release-Candidate -- bug reports

#10 Post by Billtoo »

I made a .pet from htop 0.8.3 and it made the entry in the system menu but clicking on that entry does nothing.It runs in the console fine though.
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

sinc

#11 Post by sinc »

sorry double post

panzerpuppy

Puppy 4.3.1 bugs!

#12 Post by panzerpuppy »

Puppy 4.3.1 RC - bugs and nitpicks [using a live boot (puppy pfix=ram)]:

- The Puppy CD/DVD Wizard doesn't save the settings for the DVD drive.

- absvolume shows incorrect volume values in the tooltip after you adjust the volume with another app. For example,if you adjust the master volume with alsamixer to 30, the volume BAR of absvolume shows the correct position, but the tooltip still stays at 74.

- When viewing help files with PuppyBrowser, if you switch to full screen mode, there's no way to exit from it (to return to windowed mode). The only way out is Alt+F4 :(

- Viewnior is not updated (still the old version). ttuuxxx's Puppies 4.31.1 has the latest version and it's much better.
The author of Viewnior wrote:The project was started with "simple and fast" in mind. Cropping functionality in the last (0.7) release is the only and ,I assure you, the last exception.
No image editing or photo management tools will be implemented, nor that "ultra mega giga fancy" functionality you may want. As said in the About page, Viewnior is and will be dependent only on gtk+.

Until now Viewnior was facing a new release every month. As a result, it is now stable and functional enough to enter the 1.0 release cycle. The next ( 0.8 ) version will become 1.0 and will be released sometime in October.
- Is there a way to create pupsaves with EXT4 filesystem inside the pupsave? (pupsave-431.4fs) files? This will create pupsave files which are more reliable than the EXT2 ones and with better performance than the slow EXT3 filesystem.

- HardInfo displays the Puppy Linux version as 0.43 instead of 4.3(1)

---------------------
panzerpuppy
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 21:51, edited 6 times in total.

eztuxer

#13 Post by eztuxer »

Sluggish mouse and wifi problems on AAO netbook on previous versions with kernel 6.30.5 now FIXED. (Thank you all).
Installed on 512 Mb USB key, and looking good so far.
Very fast, I love it.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Kenny-M

#14 Post by Kenny-M »

Barry K,

What's going to become of the SCSI version?

pup-430-k2.6.25.16-scsi.iso (9-16-2009)

And the drivers for:
Video: Matrox G550 (1024x768 48.54x60.22x65.85)
Audio: cs4236
SCSI: Adaptec AIC-7880 & 7890 compatible
Module: Modinfo st for /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0
Include: mt and stinit commands and files
Printer: Drivers for HP PSC-1310 (not in base package)

Thanks

dogone

431 RC1 observations

#15 Post by dogone »

Ongoing report of issues observed in 431 RC1 (main) on c.2004 Athlon-based desktop (frugal) and/or c.2000 Intel P4-based laptop (CD).

4. Confirmed: SQLiteManager "freeze" after selecting Tools/Options.

3. Bootmanager loading or unloading of SFS files still resets desktop icons!

2. No compatible modules found by CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. Compatible modules are found for both systems under Puppy 430.

1. No ROX menu entry for Partview app (found button at left of panel). I also suggest Partview *not* use the color red.
Last edited by dogone on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.

svgt

#16 Post by svgt »

Until now Partview runs only from terminal.

bigpup

Puppy CD/DVD Drive Wizard

#17 Post by bigpup »

:shock:
When using the CD/DVD Drive Wizard to set the default DVD reader, it shows the selection that is made, but when you close and reopen the wizard the setting is not saved. All of the other settings are saved, but not the one for the default DVD reader.

panzerpuppy

Re: Puppy CD/DVD Drive Wizard

#18 Post by panzerpuppy »

bigpup wrote:When using the CD/DVD Drive Wizard to set the default DVD reader, it shows the selection that is made, but when you close and reopen the wizard the setting is not saved. All of the other settings are saved, but not the one for the default DVD reader.
dogone wrote:No compatible modules found by CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. Compatible modules are found for both systems under Puppy 430.
Confirmed.

eprv

#19 Post by eprv »

very good, only small issues:

installing to usb stick ext2 or ext3 there is nosmp in the extlinux.conf file this is not needed anymore.

wireless connection is not saved for next boot need to run the wizard each time.

installing to usb stick ext3 with save to sdb1 crashes next boot with kernel panic

inkscapelite is sensitive, after some installations will not start error massege: undefined symbol: art_alloc

glxgears = 830 fps with puppy, only 600 fps with ubuntu 9.04 on same machine javascript:emoticon(':D')

Thanks for the excellent puppy

PaulBx1

#20 Post by PaulBx1 »

Confirm CD/DVD wizard does not save selection. Mine was missing the assignment for DVD reader drive. The help button for the wizard mentions programs that Puppy no longer has, but not Pburn.

Pburn still did not work for me, however it got maybe a little bit further. Actually managed to burn something once, but the md5sum did not check out. Got scsi check conditions like I did in 4.1.2. Not sure I've ever managed to burn on this laptop, so maybe the device is not supported. It is reported as a Pioneer DVR-K16M. Will report on pburn thread if it is still around.

Module acpi-cpufreq worked for me with the CPU frequency scaling application. I wonder if it shouldn't be in the setup menu, though.

Partview is confusing. Should show both full capacity and either what is used or free. Perhaps the graphic on right should have the header "Fraction used".

Changing the "calculate" menu into a "business" menu doesn't work for me. I suppose I can edit .jwmrc.

In my opinion the default wallpaper should say "Puppy Linux 3.4.1RC", not just "Puppy Linux". I like to see the OS version number prominently displayed. Just my thing...

So far it looks pretty good. One thing that seems to be fixed in this laptop is that forum text in Xorg is not corrupted like it sometimes is in 4.1.2. So far anyway. This is a big plus for me.