pupRadio (with pupTelly)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mcewanw

Feature request?

#31 Post by mcewanw »

I really love your wee pupRadio app 01micko; small, fast and efficient (not like some of these other bloated and slow gtkdialog media players out there).

It is great as it is (pity I don't yet have broadband though ... sigh...), however, if you ever have the time there is something I'd really like to see. Not so much a change or addition to pupRadio itself, but a companion accessory. I'd like to have a commandline tool that can read your bookmarks and call up the same configuration last used by pupRadio (including the selected media player).

The reason I would like that is that such a companion app could be started up from Pschedule (just as I do with Precord). That way, streaming radio programs could be started (and stopped) automatically at a given time, whilst conveniently using pupRadio to configure the stations and provide the bookmarks. In conjunction with Precord (and Pschedule) you could also then get time scheduled recordings of the radio stations' offerings...

Good UNIX philosophy of chaining simple applications together rather than relying on big slow bloated application designs (bash and gtkdialog being too slow anyway beyond a certain complexity...)

Anyway, I'll write it myself eventually.... if you don't get round to it. (But you already know how your bookmarks and so on are organised). Timed recording of broadcasts is just such an attractive facility to have..! :-)
github mcewanw

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

Hi mcewanw,

Thanks for supporting pupRadio.

I like your idea.
Timed recording of broadcasts is just such an attractive facility to have..! :-)
I will attempt to add command line support so be prepared for the odd question because I am still only an "apprentice" when it comes to bash/gtkdialog coding. It will be good experience for me and take the app to the next level.

There is no reason I can see that presets as well as the bookmarks can't be supported. Sounds exciting!

Cheers (and I will be on to it soon ;) )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mcewanw

#33 Post by mcewanw »

Great! I look forward to that. I'll be pleased to give whatever help I can, but personally I don't think you'll need that; your pupRadio evidences that you code very well.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Killer combination

#34 Post by mcewanw »

I doubt you've had time to think about the issues of using pupRadio with Pscheduler as yet, but before you do, and get too deeply into a pupRadio-interface-to-Pscheduler design based on how Pscheduler currently works interface-wise, I thought I should let you know of a possible minor modification to the latter, which would probably help you produce a better commandline compatible extension to pupRadio.

First of all, it was pupRadio that actually made me think about using Pscheduler, and really I stuck a button for the latter into Precord with that in mind (so I've been planning to nudge you in this direction for 'ages'...:-)

I expect that most people never or hardly ever use Pscheduler, which is a great pity, because it is a very useful application. I have read of a few people who have used it to make it play an audio file to wake them up in the morning, but of course pupRadio with Pscheduler would give all that and more...

I've actually found Precord with Pscheduler quite fun to play with, except that it is dangerous!... I forgot I had scheduled Precord to start recording at a specific time in the evening, and later in the day I discovered Precord had been running in the background (completely invisible since commandline started) recording my every movements for several hours...

But, yes, it also occurred to me that I don't 'just' want to use Pscheduler/Precord to snoop on myself... or anyone else for that matter, but what was missing in the possibilities was... pupRadio...

However, once you look at the way Pschedule works, you will notice that once you press "Add task", for a new task, you are taken to a new dialog in which you need to manually enter the program to be run and to manually supply an optional name for the new task. The problem is the "manually" part... To interface nicely with Precord, pupRadio, or any other program (rather than a human) it would be really nice if Pschedule allowed such programs to send these details as parameters - but Pschedule doesn't have that facility at the moment...

The fact that you come to the Add task, Edit, Delete, Run GUI isn't an issue, In fact, I feel that that is a good arrangement, since it allows you to immediately manage existing tasks prior to activating your new one. But when you then press the Add task button (having got to the first Pschedule GUI from pupRadio or Precord) it is painful to have to then manually have to enter the stuff I mentioned, when your program could have that all prepared already for entry. Yes, cut and paste would work, but that would be an untidy workaround. However, there is light on that horizon...

I have discovered that it is an entirely trivial matter to give Pschedule the ability to read the "Command" and the "Task name (optional)" from the command line. In fact I now use a specially modified Pschedule myself for exactly that. Fortunately, none of the major functions of Pschedule care at all really about anything being added as command line parameters so the modification is simple and consists of only:

one additional line to the main program /usr/local/pschedule/pschedule

one small alteration to another line of that program (to pass the parameters onwards)

and then,

minor alterations to two lines in the pschedule function program /usr/local/pschedule/func_new

I'll contact Zigbert about it to see if he would put these changes into his official code base; small though these additions are, they make a huge difference to the functionality of Pschedule when it comes to using it with apps like ours. And Pschedule is potentially a very useful core application, so such an addition would be very valuable (as we are both showing...;-)

In case you want to try the Pschedule mod yourself, here are the simple details - assuming you activate line numbers in Geany or your favourite text editor... i.e. Geany -> Edit -> Preferences -> Editor -> Display -> Turn on line numbers (it took me ages to find that!...):

In /usr/local/pschedule/pschedule:

insert a new line 20 containing:

Code: Select all

TASK="$1"; TASKNAME="$2"
Modify line 104 (within BUTTON_ADD) from:

<action>. $PROGPATH/func_new</action>

to:

<action>. $PROGPATH/func_new \"$TASK\" \"$TASKNAME\"</action>
----------------------------------------

In /usr/local/pschedule/func_new:

Modify line 2 from:

MODE="$1"

to:

MODE="$1"; TASKNAME="$2"
and also in func_new, modify line 52 from:

if [ "$MODE" != "-edit" ]; then TASK='gxmessage "Happy Puppy"'; TASKNAME='Please enter the task name"'; fi #jake_take

to:

if [ "$MODE" != "-edit" ]; then "TASK"="$TASK"; "TASKNAME"="$TASKNAME"; fi #jake_take
Now, I can start Pschedule, from the commandline (or later version of Precord) with the likes of:

pschedule "precord rec out.mp3" "Record file task"

i.e. in the form:

pschedule  Command  [Task Name]
so as soon as I then press "Add task" these two essential details are automatically then filled in. I think that is what you (and I certainly) probably want rather than having to enter such details manually or with cut and paste?

I could supply a diff, but the changes are so simple, and if Zigbert is willing to make these simple mods it would probably be easier and best, in terms of checking/testing, that he just adds them manually to his original code.

I haven't tested these mods thoroughly yet, but on reading the code they seem to have no effect on anything else; they just add the new functionality, quickly and easily. The reason the change is so minor is that the existing MODE variable only really matters when it is "Edit" mode, and the above changes are only concerned with "Add task" mode.

Anyway, I'll wait on your comments before bringing the matter up with Zigbert in case you have some extra desires or thoughts that would be easily catered for (now or in the future). I doubt it would be easy to modify Pschedule for anything much more, however, and from my point of view the rest of the app is just perfect for my purposes anyway.
github mcewanw

zigbert

#35 Post by zigbert »

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

version 0.5 is out

See main Post

-added command line support

tubeguy

pupradio icon

#37 Post by tubeguy »

I made one.
Attachments
pupradio.png
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 2563 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

ttuuxxx

Re: pupradio icon

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

tubeguy wrote:I made one.
looks pretty good at 48x48 but what about 16x16 which is the actual menu size, your 48x48 would be good for the desktop, but I'm not too sure at 16x16
ttuuxxx
Attachments
pupradio16.png
(900 Bytes) Downloaded 2262 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tubeguy

#39 Post by tubeguy »

ttuuxxx wrote:
looks pretty good at 48x48 but what about 16x16 which is the actual menu size, your 48x48 would be good for the desktop, but I'm not too sure at 16x16
ttuuxxx
I just made it for my desktop, never considered the menu. I've been using pupradio a lot lately, just wanted to pretty up the desktop icon, thought I should share. :)

zicozico

streamripper

#40 Post by zicozico »

Hi all,

quick question.
I have not installed pupradio yet (so I might be wrong)
But why don't you use streamripper to rip internet audio streams?
I use it to rip sometimes as much as 5 streams at the same time, it is very convenient
and doesn't miss a byte.

zicozico
Attachments
streamripper-1.64.6.pet
(61.42 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times

ttuuxxx

#41 Post by ttuuxxx »

tubeguy wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
ttuuxxx
I just made it for my desktop, never considered the menu. I've been using pupradio a lot lately, just wanted to pretty up the desktop icon, thought I should share. :)
the more I look at the 16x16 icon the more it works, its actually not bad at 16X16. Good work, I'll use it in 2.14X
ttuuxxx

tubeguy

#42 Post by tubeguy »

ttuuxxx wrote: the more I look at the 16x16 icon the more it works, its actually not bad at 16X16. Good work, I'll use it in 2.14X
ttuuxxx
Cool! Just happy I can give back, even in a small way.

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

Hi zicozico

pupRadio is not intended as a stream ripper, just as a small entertainment app convenient for saving stream urls. It is just a bonus that you can use Precord with pupRadio... handy if you hear a track you like you can record it, a bit like the old days when we had cassette radios. You would have an empty cassette tape in the drive and if you heard a song you like on the radio you hit record and you could enjoy the song for a while longer. Inevitably, the radio announcers always blabbed over the top of the ending (as they still do) so it wouldn't be pristine but what the hey..

Cheers

upnorth

pupRadio 0.5

#44 Post by upnorth »

Just upgraded to v 0.5 of pupRadio/Telly in quirky005 and dpup484.

Excellent!

I can now keep track of my streams, find new streams, and play them. All in an efficient manner.

This is a great useful efficient app.

Thanks!

PS
I'm now playing extreme-aacp.rautemusik.fm 8)
===========================================
Also: dir.xiph.org has a huge searchable directory of streams and .m3u, .xspf playlists and it shows the format(codec) for each.
This is the icecast directory.
Last edited by upnorth on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#45 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi micko, It would be nice to use streamripper, Precord is complicated, would drive new users nuts, where as streamripper is basic and just works, no need to configure your mic's soundcard etc, nothing. streamripper commands are located at http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/tutorialconsole.php , Think about it you already have a record button, just add a stop button :) and that's it :) Precord doesn't work on my system either alsa never finds half the stuff it should on my motherboard, but streamripper works on it because it does it differently. Great little tool.
Anyways its a nice little player:) and thanks
ttuuxxx

tlchost

#46 Post by tlchost »

musher0 wrote:If anybody wants a really HUGE listing of Internet radio stations, download ScreamerRadio for Windows, unpack the presets.xml.gz file, and copy & paste to mplayer or whatever. All genres imaginable!
Is there suck a list for TV broadcasts?

Thanks
Thom

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hi micko, It would be nice to use streamripper, Precord is complicated, would drive new users nuts, where as streamripper is basic and just works, no need to configure your mic's soundcard etc, nothing. streamripper commands are located at http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/tutorialconsole.php , Think about it you already have a record button, just add a stop button :) and that's it :) Precord doesn't work on my system either alsa never finds half the stuff it should on my motherboard, but streamripper works on it because it does it differently. Great little tool.
Anyways its a nice little player:) and thanks
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx

Nice what you have done.

I have seen you made mods to pupRadio in the "updating 2 series" thread. Could you kindly post a pet or tarball of the scripts.

Precord is not hard coded into pupRadio. Any recorder could be used. I think it would be great to give the user that choice and it would not take much modification of pupRadio. I intend to update the gui slightly anyway.

Cheers

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

V 0.5.2 is out

-minor update

(btw, thanks for hacked code ttuuxxx, not yet implemented)

See main post

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

0.5.3 is out

Added support for Gnome-mplayer especialy for Quirky. It is somewhat experimental, but hey, so is Quirky! :)

See main Post

vovchik

#50 Post by vovchik »

Dear Mick,

Great work. It occurred to me that vlc and smplayer could be added very simply with a slight mod the the main pupradio script, i.e.:

PLAYER=`which mplayer`
GXINE=`which gxine`
XINE=`which xine`
GMPLAYER=`which gnome-mplayer`
SMPLAYER=`which smplayer`
VLCPLAYER=`which vlc`

echo "" > $APP_DIR/playerlist
if [ "$MPLAYER" != "" ]; then echo "mplayer" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
if [ "$GXINE" != "" ]; then echo "gxine" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
if [ "$XINE" != "" ]; then echo "xine" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
if [ "$GMPLAYER" != "" ]; then echo "gnome-mplayer" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
if [ "$SMPLAYER" != "" ]; then echo "smplayer" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
if [ "$VLCPLAYER" != "" ]; then echo "vlc" >> $APP_DIR/playerlist ; fi
I am already using 0.5.3 this way already. Any thoughts?

With thanks and kind regards,
vovchik