No Nvidia Splash Screen (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
gabreal2k

Nvidia GeForce2 MX

#16 Post by gabreal2k »

Hi, all. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a Dell 8200 desktop pc, with an nvidia geforce2 mx vga card. When I boot puppy (4.3.1 full HDD install) X works fine in terms of getting to the desktop and everything; but the resolution is off.

My monitor is a Dell IN1910N @ 1366x768 resolution but X reports it's resolution as 1024x768. I tried using the nvidia settings thing and that is successful in adjusting my resolution to 1360x768 but when I reboot; X won't start and I have to redo the X wizard and choose 1024x768 to get back to my desktop. Does anybody have any idea how to set up X to use my graphics card and get 1366x768 resolution?

Any help will be appreciated as I'm new to Linux and Puppy but not necessarily afraid of the CLI or even breaking something; spelled FULL RE-INSTALL.

As a side note that may be helpful: this is a triple boot system:
1) Windows XP
2) Ubuntu 9.10
3) Puppy

XP has no problem with my card or 1366x768, I did use the terminal and did nvidia-settings in Ubuntu and have 1360x768 resolution running fine.

Maybe there is something in Ubuntus' XORG.CONF I could copy/paste into Puppys' XORG file?? I don't know just thinking out loud.

Thanks in advance for ANY help.