for those who have bad vision

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
porte64

for those who have bad vision

#1 Post by porte64 »

It be nice to make a "dark theme" and "big mouse cursors" available within the
next PUPPY release. Tiny cursors and light backgorunds are extremely aggressive
to some users with bad vision, and PUPPY is such a wonderful distro
that i could not help complaining about it, hoping it will be embedded into the next distro.

It's not easy for the newcomer and even savvy users to tweak all window colors
as configuration covers different files like .Xdefaults, .jmwrc and possibly others.
It's rather hard to understand how attributes get controlled / overriden
by those different levels (X,JWM...).
For instance, i never succeeded to turn ROX windows into white text/black background.

Besides, even friends of mine who have a good vision complain about the
tiny size of window cursors. Why not offering a big series of cursors, with
simple design ? I found an additionnal PET, but it's huge and provides
complex, rotating big cursors. What we need are simply designed, big
colored arrows.

It seems that there is no tool allowing to replace cursors by custom bitmaps,
and the build process is not trivial.
Is there a way to alter cursor attributes (size, color) ?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Pcur is in Puppy 4.3.1 under menu and Desktop - I believe you have to be connected to download the cursors . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

I also do not much like the 'snowblinding' of very pale backgrounds (but black or very dark values have their own downfalls if you use rox's default colorscheme for file/dir types text) - it's usually a matter of gtk (what most puppy apps use for an interior, some like XFExplorer use their own 'theme') and sometimes even what gtk engine is used (as I recently found with a return to a puplet that used Murrine). The recent gtk thememaker may help to create something suitable or you might try other pre-made gtk themes such as my oldish turq41 (available as a dotpet via http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... se-4.1.pet ), which is fairly readable with possibly a bit of squinting if you leave the rox 'executable'/green as-is in the default colored text (that also may be changed in rox->rclick/options towards the end if you wish .. I try not to fool with the original defaults since if you change to another theme the value relations will change with the gtk .. as I recall the gtk theme-chooser does not show all the variables as they may present in various applications but is a fair representatiion mostly).

Text editors also sometimes have themes (like Medit's 'Oblivion') or color-selector gui (Teagtk comes to mind and Xfw, which is an add-on of XFExplorer .. not to mention various wine apps if you use that).

:lol: sry for the run-ons, it's how this poor old file manager I have works ;) Hope that helps

Cursor/pointers are another story - personally, I'd like a sort of circle to indicate general focus, but that gets into values and other issues of drawing, etc (hmmz, must take a look at how Icewm does the window-frame outline in contrast to bg, :) )

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

porte64
Puppy Stardust is meant to be 'calmer'. Version 002 will continue this focus.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49971

Sigmund