Quirky 002 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Something important to note about Quirky, both 001 and 002, is that it only has the Xorg 'vesa' driver, nothing else.

The downside of this (mostly) is it lacks hardware acceleration of the video that the correct driver offers.

I think also xrandr seems not to be functional.

It does not have the kdrive Xvesa driver either, that most normal puppies have as a fallback.

The upside is the significant saving of space in the ISO file.

Plus, I'm finding its performance to be quite respectable. In fact, today I tested on my Intel Classmate laptop and for the first time I got a display without left-over streaks appearing all over the screen.

I could provide a PET with the other video drivers, if there is interest.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Terryphi

#17 Post by Terryphi »

I upgraded Quirky 001 to 002 and now the panel from Quirky 001 will not go away. I can right click>Remove panel but it comes back when I reboot.
Any suggestions how I can remove it permanently?

LATER EDIT: To remove panel permanently delete or rename /root/Choices/Rox-Filer/PuppyPan1 .
Last edited by Terryphi on Tue 22 Dec 2009, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#18 Post by Terryphi »

BarryK wrote: I could provide a PET with the other video drivers, if there is interest.
That would be very welcome. It might resolve some of the weird resolution setting/saving issues some of us are experiencing.

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

rjbrewer wrote:Full installs.

Liked 001 seamonkey a little better as it permits dragging url
to personal toolbar, 002 doesn't.
Sure it does. Use it all the time.........
Set it up as follows, from seamonkey menus, select:
Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks
In the pop-up page, highlight Bookmarks at the top, and select New Folder from the menu. Call the new folder personal and you are done. Also works in Seamonkey 1.1.*

Why this is not done by default escapes me :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

timremy

grub

#20 Post by timremy »

hello

i installed quirky 002 to my hard drive and everything worked.

but when i am booting up, and i select quirky 002,

i get overwrite on the screen as it is processing.

is there a way to put a clear screen so i would not get the

overwrite?

thankyou

merry christmas

timremy

pakt

#21 Post by pakt »

Quirky-002 seems to have problems with international keyboards.

If I choose 'Sv-Fi', the keyboard doesn't work in X Window - completely dead - but does work in the CLI.

Choosing 'Us' or 'Uk' does work (got it set to 'Uk' now as I write this).
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

timremy

sd flash drive

#22 Post by timremy »

hello

i thought i would install quirky 002 on the 2gig sd flash drive.

everything went ok. will going through the loading process

their was a clear screan and no over write.

timremy

bigpup

display drivers

#23 Post by bigpup »

BerryK
[quote]I could provide a PET with the other video drivers, if there is interest.

I would like that!

smokey01

#24 Post by smokey01 »

Barry, Video would not work for me on either Quirky 001 or 002.

My hardware is in my signature line.

Thanks

davec51

No Decent Screen Resolution

#25 Post by davec51 »

I'd love to test Quirky, which seems delightfully quirky, but all I can get on the screen is the VESA configuration with a very low resolution. With all the taking out of drivers, I guess they took out mine (Intel card).

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Wireless problem. Connection cuts of frequently. I have to autoDHCP to restore connection. I havent had that problem ever with 4.3.1 Puppy or with any puplets/derivates.

Touchpad moves was corrected using 3 times bigger numbers to certain rows in the xorg.conf file.

Tap to click touchpad was also corrected by adding missing information to xorg.conf manually. Google is good friend. Mouse config wizard didnt do the trick although tap to click was enabled.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

I could provide a PET with the other video drivers, if there is interest.

Yes please. :)
I had every intention to use Quirky in real time testing but the strange bleach effect made testing of Seamonkey untenable
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#28 Post by tronkel »

The xvesa video driver does drive this LCD monitor - an improvement on previous Puppies.

Fonts are not too well displayed though via XVESA. Could really do with either a working ATI radeon/radeonhd driver to get better font rendering/aspect ratio control. FGLRX does this but is huge. The open-source drivers are sufficient and much smaller. A pet of extra video drivers seems like a good idea then. My card is an ATI Radeon 3450.

Instead of having to download and install a proprietary Brother printer driver each time, it would be great to have this included in the ISO. The model is a fairly common Brother DCP-7030 laser/copier/scanner. I can recommend this printer. It's not expensive to buy, works a treat and is cheap to run.

I'm writing this from Quirky 2.00 now. It's very fast. I reckon it's a keeper.

PupTV seems not to want to load GXINE, so this is a bit problematical. Hardly urgent though. Will try more stuff soon.

I daresay Puplets based on this will not be long in surfacing. An updated Abiword would be good.

Great job again Barry. A lot of work for you yet again. Have a great time at Xmas.

Tronkel
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

rameshiyer

Quiry 002

#29 Post by rameshiyer »

In Quirky 002 ( Full HD Install ) also same problem i.e shut down or reboot through Menu is not possible. When applying Poweroff, nothing happening. Screens goes sometimes and comes back . I don't know, why this has been overlooked. even after repeatedly point it out at the time of quirky 001. I observing this prblem only Quirky otherwise Quirky is good tome. In Puppy 4.3.1, there is no shutdown or reboot problem. Kindly provide immediate patch.

I still facing problem of reboot after sudden power failure or forced shutdown after hang of machine in Full Install. Any permanent solutions for these critical issues?

Jota

#30 Post by Jota »

Kindly provide immediate patch.
Please keep in mind that for now Quirky is only for ***testing*** purposes, not for everyday use!

Eventually all the bad bugs will be killed (maybe in Quirky 007 - License to Hack??? :lol: ), so wait patiently. :wink:

In another note, acpid still does not work with both my laptops, when suspending from Lid close. And it seems there's something wrong with the flash player in Seamonkey.

PS: thanks Geany is back, one less .pet to install!

ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes I'm also glad about Geany being default, saves me installing it also :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

Using Rox and selecting /usr/share/applications results in a black screen. It appears to work correctly except for that one directory. Menu/Shutdown/Restart X server, restores the desktop.

The directory can be accessed using a console.

Terryphi

#33 Post by Terryphi »

Jim1911 wrote:Using Rox and selecting /usr/share/applications results in a black screen. It appears to work correctly except for that one directory. Menu/Shutdown/Restart X server, restores the desktop.

The directory can be accessed using a console.
Jim1911: I am able to select /usr/share/applications without any unexpected behaviour.

charlie6

#34 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
thanks again to Barry for this !
on FujiSiemens (see characteristics in left margin under my avatar) with intel onboard video card 845G:
boot from live-cd + choice belgian keyboards + BE € shows:
- XOrg test answers OK; after Ctrl-backspace the screen remains black and no more mouse cursor; note: the here displayed horizonral frequency = 0 Hz (whereas it is not zero in xorg.conf file.)
- at this stage, Alt-Ctrl-backspace to go to command line; entering xorgwizard, etc... leads to screens for restarting XOrg: those screens looks bigger as the foot of the page lies under the bottom rim of the screen - i.e. the <OK> <TEST> <...> key are no more visible.
- I cannot succed in booting Quirky 002 on that PC.

Cheers

To Barry and all puppy developpers/users/newbies....wishes for pretty Xtmas time and 2010 newyear full of all kinds of projects and joys.

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

on FujiSiemens ....
- XOrg test answers OK; after Ctrl-backspace ... xorgwizard, etc... leads to screens for restarting XOrg: t... I cannot succed in booting Quirky 002 on that PC.
Puzzled? I thought BK said only VESA was working at present? Either way, using Intel chipset, cpu and esp. onboard video, unless gifted, represents double foot-shooting. Only thing worse would be all of these in a laptop.....

Think WINTEL, think criminal cartel, say NO THANKS.