Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-burner not happening

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
bugman

Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-burner not happening

#1 Post by bugman »

Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but I'm guessing the former. Pup 1.06 (I can't burn!), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-ROM writer. Worked under w98; that's how I got the Pup. Have seen it on Linux-approved lists.

Graveman fails at 50% write. Bkup2cd says there's a tar.gz file missing, but there's no step to make one, maybe I'm missing something here. CDtar claims my disk is not blank. No disk seems to be blank enough for it...

Just went through hell-day of realizing Ubuntu was useless, endless Grub Error 15's, formatting and reformatting and installing and re-installing--all without a way to backup my data. All of which managed to survive, except for a huge collection of desktop wallpapers of photos of Japan (I forgot they were there) which I wasn't using anyways...

Any suggestions? I've tried changing the CD line in /etc/fstab to rw. Not sure where else to go. Thanks!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-burner not happening

#2 Post by Flash »

bugman wrote:Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but I'm guessing the former. Pup 1.06 (I can't burn!), Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-ROM writer. Worked under w98; that's how I got the Pup. Have seen it on Linux-approved lists.

Graveman fails at 50% write. Bkup2cd says there's a tar.gz file missing, but there's no step to make one, maybe I'm missing something here. CDtar claims my disk is not blank. No disk seems to be blank enough for it...
If it weren't for the CDtar error message I'd say your problem is somewhere other than the CD burner. How much RAM have you?

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

128 mb RAM, 256 mb swap

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

Swap now a bit over 1gb, which hasn't helped...

bugman

#5 Post by bugman »

SOLVED...I realized that at the same time I switched from w98 to Puppy I had also installed a DVD drive that had originally been on the computer but that I'd pulled some time ago for reasons unremembered. I yanked the DVD drive and the CD-RW started RWing. Computers...funny things, ain't they?