Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 09:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Retrovol 0.13.1 (Volume mixer)
Page 6 of 12 [180 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 00:26    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
Save me a copy of the version that works in icewm - puppeee doesn't have jwm. Smile I do have gtk 2.16 though so maybe it doesn't matter.

That would be this one: retrovol-0.9.1.tar.gz

jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 12:18    Post subject:  

Thanks!

The transparency works great, but it seems to think my volume is always muted.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 13:09    Post subject:  

That's strange. Have you doublechecked that it's still trying to use the correct sound card and volume controls for everything?

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 18:25    Post subject:  

Version 0.10 uploaded. I couldn't get eggtrayicon to cooperate, so I reverted it to the old working non-transparent one, and added a condition so that if compiled on a system with GTK >= 2.16, it will use GtkStatusIcon instead, which has transparency.

Other changes since 0.8 include an option in the config window to set which soundcard will be controlled (you need to hit apply before the rest of the config window will update to show the sliders from that card) and theoretical support for compiling on Puppy 3.x. Also, the number of controls it can handle has been increased, and it has been set up to filter out non-mixer controls.

On Puppies that have GTK >= 2.16, the -bg option and associated entries in the config window and retrovolrc file will be ignored, because from what I can tell you cannot directly set the color of a GtkStatusIcon. Shouldn't be a problem since in that case, transparency is working and it should therefor pick up the system's tray color. Next time I work on it I'll wrap those bits of the code in the GTK version check as well, so that they don't even appear when GtkStatusIcon is used.

Since it now has a dependence on GTK version, I compiled two different .pet packages - one for Puppy 5.x, which has working transparency, and one for Puppy 4.x, which does not. The Puppy 4 package maintains the /usr/local prefix so that it can be installed over previous packages (which were all compiled for Puppy 4). The Puppy 5 package uses /usr as the prefix so that it can be installed over the Retrovol that it comes with.

I think that's everything I had to say. This is my second time writing this as the power cut after I was basically done with the first iteration. Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010, 20:10    Post subject:  

Thanks for the new retrovol pizzasgood.. it works great in Puppy 5X

Cheers

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010, 21:09    Post subject:  

Yep, it is also in Wary 0.9.8, just released.
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010, 22:39    Post subject:  

Working good now for me too. Thanks!
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 14:08    Post subject:  

Here is a strange problem with Retrovol not showing all the settings
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67606
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 14:21    Post subject:  

It looks like it shows all the settings that alsamixer shows, except that alsamixer apparently shows duplicates of the mic boost and front mic boost. The full names are clipped so I don't know what exactly is going on there, but I don't think that is relevant to his problem anyway.

His problem is deeper than retrovol. His first post makes me think maybe he has multiple sound cards. I will post in that thread.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 14:39    Post subject:  

2 items:
  • I run couple systems that have Motherboard (MB) audio as well as a USB keyboard which has a handset built in (look like USB sound to the OSs). Primary audio is via MB
  • I Have been using @Pemasu ICE (based - Wary 5.1.1) and @Puppyluvr PUP539 (based - Puppy 5.25)
Retrovol is the prime audio vehicle.

Your review of audio in these 2 PUPs would help clarify for some.

Thanks in advance.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 18:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
Your review of audio in these 2 PUPs would help clarify for some.

"review of audio"? I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I don't know anything about those puppies either. Frankly the last time I used a desktop Puppy install was about a year ago.

As for "Retrovol is the prime audio vehicle" - Retrovol is not an "audio vehicle", whatever that is. All that Retrovol is, is an interface to let you change the volume settings - like the remote control for a television set, Retrovol plays no part at all in running audio. It just gives you a way to turn down the volume without getting up and walking to the tv (or in this case, breaking out the commandline and using alsamixer or amixer). The software that actually processes the audio is Alsa. So I guess Alsa is what you might call the "prime audio vehicle".

Anyways, if you can formulate a less vague request, perhaps I can help, but I don't really know what you're after right now. Neutral

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2011, 19:46    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Retrovol works fine...
Kernel 2.6.38.4 (IcePuppy > `006, Lupu-5.39)
Experimental (really highly) builds...
Retrovol works, but boots muted...
Something to do with /dev/audio I think...
Stu90 has posted a fix which gives "woof woof" @ first boot...

Puppy since 2.15CE...
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2011, 19:42    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
... Anyways, if you can formulate a less vague request, perhaps I can help, but I don't really know what you're after right now. Neutral
Thanks @Pizzasgood for that explanation. I was trying to call your attention to an audio issue that has been experienced by the newer kernels being worked on. Seems that community was struggling with a muted problem at boot. I thought that since Retrovol is working very well in these newer kernel distros, that your knowledge would be able to guide around the muted problem that shows in Retrovol upon getting to desktop.Like maybe a missing parameter or something.

Hope that helps clarify.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 15:37    Post subject:  

A problem where Retrovol disappeared and can not get it back.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68365
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:27    Post subject:  

Hi PG,
I think I found a bug. It is present in v 0.7 (self compiled) and 0.10 (your puppy 4 package):

If I change the balance by scrolling with ctrl or shift, and then scroll upwards, when the first channel gets to the top, the other one keeps going until it gets to the top too. If I then scroll down, they both scroll down together.

If I change the balance and then scroll downwards, when the first channel gets to the bottom, it freezes!

If this bug always occurs, I guess it indicates the balance feature is seldom used Wink

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Page 6 of 12 [180 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: