Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 22:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Puppy Linux saves Disabled club approx £3000!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
starlyte

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:43    Post subject:  Linux and Puppy opened up a new world.
Subject description: My introduction into building PC's then using them :D

Nice one Very Happy

I'm handicapped, with mobility reduced, since 1998. Obviously I needed to change my way of life, as I'd been very much an outdoor and jogging type of person.
For over a year I read about how to construct a desktop, and when I had enough money saved up I built a Duron 1200 based PC, but what to do for the OS? I'd spent what money I had on the hardware...
There was no internet where I lived, but I found a book, very detailed about Linux workings, with an installation CD for Mandrake.
Great, I played with that, even learnt to write Bash scripts for a couple of years until ADSL came to the mountain village I live in.
From then on I hunted around for a perfect Linux OS, and eventually settled on Puppy, which was in the Puppy-1 something at the time.
I wanted a versatile, uncluttered and more or less "build what you need" system. That's what I love about Puppy, and I'm now with Sulu-528 (Super Lucid, with a 3.0.25 kernel, although there's a new one with a 3.9.9 kernel now, so I'll be changing Laughing ).

Linux and since I've had Internet, Puppy have opened the world of the Informatics to me. I love it, both Hardware and Software, although I doubt I'll be leaving Puppy for any other Linux flavour, but I might need to change it slightly, to go on my server, TV Box, and Raspberry Pi.
I'd love a Ubuntu based 64bits Puppy... Rolling Eyesc

Informatics contact is very important if you're restricted in your mobility, and the use of Puppy and recycled Laptops is a real blessing, I imagine, for any disabled person. Money doesn't flow easily for those unable to work, and contact with the outside world through internet is a real blessing. At least I find it to be so.
Congratulations Very Happy
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul 2014, 12:37    Post subject:  

If you would help test software for disabled persons, there are a few spin offs with onscreen mouse and keyboards and speech.. Could always use another person to help test.
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: