Puppy Linux saves Disabled club approx £3000!

Promote Puppy !
starlyte

Linux and Puppy opened up a new world.

#16 Post by starlyte »

Nice one :D

I'm handicapped, with mobility reduced, since 1998. Obviously I needed to change my way of life, as I'd been very much an outdoor and jogging type of person.
For over a year I read about how to construct a desktop, and when I had enough money saved up I built a Duron 1200 based PC, but what to do for the OS? I'd spent what money I had on the hardware...
There was no internet where I lived, but I found a book, very detailed about Linux workings, with an installation CD for Mandrake.
Great, I played with that, even learnt to write Bash scripts for a couple of years until ADSL came to the mountain village I live in.
From then on I hunted around for a perfect Linux OS, and eventually settled on Puppy, which was in the Puppy-1 something at the time.
I wanted a versatile, uncluttered and more or less "build what you need" system. That's what I love about Puppy, and I'm now with Sulu-528 (Super Lucid, with a 3.0.25 kernel, although there's a new one with a 3.9.9 kernel now, so I'll be changing :lol: ).

Linux and since I've had Internet, Puppy have opened the world of the Informatics to me. I love it, both Hardware and Software, although I doubt I'll be leaving Puppy for any other Linux flavour, but I might need to change it slightly, to go on my server, TV Box, and Raspberry Pi.
I'd love a Ubuntu based 64bits Puppy... :roll:c

Informatics contact is very important if you're restricted in your mobility, and the use of Puppy and recycled Laptops is a real blessing, I imagine, for any disabled person. Money doesn't flow easily for those unable to work, and contact with the outside world through internet is a real blessing. At least I find it to be so.
Congratulations :D

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

If you would help test software for disabled persons, there are a few spin offs with onscreen mouse and keyboards and speech.. Could always use another person to help test.