unleashed with loopback but no partitioning

Using applications, configuring, problems
JaDy

unleashed with loopback but no partitioning

#1 Post by JaDy »

Working on PupWin95, need a tiny Puppy for my IBM ThinkPad 560 Type 2540-50A with Intel Pentium processor, 24 MB memory, 771 MB disk, DSTN 800x600 8-bit LCD display. Plan to start with PupWin98 version 1.0.1 and the three unleashed tar.gz files. Don't want to play the re-partition game, but use a 1 GB loopback filesystem. So, I think I need to do this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/unleash bs=1024 count=1000k
losetup -FULL /dev/loop3 /mnt/home/unleash
mke2fs /mnt/home/unleash 1000k
mount -o loop /mnt/home/unleash unleash

Then put the unleashed 0.9.9, 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 tar.gz files in unleash and proceed with instructions in INSTALL.txt, etc.

Am I on the right track? And, do I need that losetup? What's it do? Should it reference loop3 or 2 or 0? Is special attention needed to reduce the size of the USR_CRAM.FS and IMAGE.GZ files?

Finally, as I intend to make PupWin95 available to all, what packages do you all absolutely, positively need included? I'm thinking abiword, grisbi, morizot, mozilla, uxplor, xfinans. No need for any CD, games, instant messaging, video stuff. Need only fvwm95 for window management. Do need dial and cable modem things. Need printing stuff and, of course, package management. Did I miss anything?
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: unleashed with loopback but no partitioning

#2 Post by Lobster »

If and as more programs become unleashed/getpups/dotpups, a basic pup can be tailored to individual requirements after a Bonsai Install (minimum Pup)
Abiword and Mozilla are quite tied into Puppy so you need them.

8) Great Project - Good Luck

JaDy

#3 Post by JaDy »

Yes, a Bonsai Install. I may wait for version 1.0.3 to do the public build. Meanwhile, I'll probably begin testing with version 1.0.1.
Lobster says: Abiword and Mozilla are quite tied into Puppy so you need them.
(How do I say Lobster instead of Quote?)
Can I use Firefox instead of Mozilla? Will the "tied into Puppy" be maintained?

Correction: Target computer is ThinkPad 560 Type 2640-50A and not ThinkPad 560 Type 2540-50A.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

"JaDy" say =====
Yes, a Bonsai Install. I may wait for version 1.0.3 to do the public build. Meanwhile, I'll probably begin testing with version 1.0.1.
=====

Hi Rev. JaDy
Puppy uses parts of Abiword for printing (not sure how independent of Abiword this is) There have been versions of Puppy running Opera, FireFox and Mozilla. So I think being independent of the browser is easy. I think John Murgas 50 meg install was a good example of how Puppy can be pruned.
Barry is the expert on this . . . He is busy doing 1.0.3 PizzaAsGood is on hols, John is busy. You will have to talk to the cructacean (and what he knows about creating Puplets can be written on the back of a book of matches) for now . . . Somebody have M E R C Y ! ! !

Testing sounds fun . . .
Let us know . . .

Maybe John Murga knows about quoting
I used lines and a name

:)