vertical lines on desktop.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Mead

vertical lines on desktop.

#1 Post by Mead »

I am running the latest version of Lighthouse, but I get the same results on the regular puppy (lastest version as of this posting)

Problem: Two vertical lines , one thin with pixels being "off" on either side of a jagged yellow line appears just to the (near the menu botton), the other much black line about 10 pixels thick slightly off center of the screen.

Hardware: Sony Vaio VGN-A270 Pentium M 1.8ghz (dothan), ati 9700m 64mb, 1gig of pc2700 ram, 1440 x 900 display. (I would give you more info but Sony's documentation sux and I am the second owner)

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

In all probability, those lines are from a connecting ribbon cable from the laptops video connector to the lcd screen.
Opening and closing the lid on the laptop very many times eventually breaks that ribbon cable and it needs to be replaced.
A test of if this is the problem is to hook the laptop to an external monitor and see if the lines show up on an external monitor.
I went through this myself with an old Compaq laptop.
The other connecting wire pack that gives problems is the one that connects to the inverter from inside the laptop.

Mead

#3 Post by Mead »

I highly doubt that could be the issue since when in Text mode while booting there are no lines nor were there lines when it booted into MS windows before I removed the HDD and there are no lines when use a Ubuntu live CD.

This leads me to believe this is a software issue.