new live 1.0.7 asking for login and password....

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Are you able to boot a non-multisession 107 Puppy CD with option 4 (no hard drive)? If so, can you then swap that CD with the one that doesn't boot and mount it so you can explore the contents?

teecee

#17 Post by teecee »

ok, hereś the latest.

i once again burned the multisession live 1.07.

put it into my laptop drive, the laptop im using that has no hard drive.

as i booted up, the new multisesson asked me if i was upgradeing from a previous and to put that cd in...so, i took the new MS out, put the old puppy MS in....it read it, took setting from it and started the new desktop of the newer version.....i purposely downloaded something from the dot.pup and placed a shortcut on the desktop.

i then took the old pup MS out of the drive, put the new one in, and then did a reboot, it asked if i wanted to save the session, i said yes....it went thru the usual routine and saved the session and rebooted with the new MS in the drive and everything came back up, no prompting for a login or password...

so, im going to keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

Ted Dog

If you could give more info.

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

I am thinking you are using a CD-RW or CD+RW. How are you burning it?

Here is my way from a booted multisession (or files copied to /livecd) It will wipe the CD+RW and remove padding that may/may not help.

Code: Select all

CDR="/dev/hdc" #replace with your burner
CDH="/livecd"
mkisofs -D -J -R  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ${CDH} | cdrecord -blank=fast -multi -data -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
here is a lite version of save to multisession CD. It will save everything without change so close mozilla and most programs before running. Delete what you do not wish to keep

mkisofs -D -J -R -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=ATAPI:${CDR}` -M  ${CDR}  -quiet -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points `date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`=/root | cdrecord -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
That way you can check if all went well. On some CD-RAM drives the ~12M of padding causes the drive to think its reached the end, and also could cause old data from a prior burn to bleed through.
This will work for regular CD-Rs as well just remove the -blank=fast from the first example. DVD hints are found here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=29898#29898

teecee

Re: If you could give more info.

#19 Post by teecee »

Ted Dog wrote:I am thinking you are using a CD-RW or CD+RW. How are you burning it?

Here is my way from a booted multisession (or files copied to /livecd) It will wipe the CD+RW and remove padding that may/may not help.

CDH="/livecd"
mkisofs -D -J -R  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ${CDH} | cdrecord -blank=fast -multi -data -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
here is a lite version of save to multisession CD. It will save everything without change so close mozilla and most programs before running. Delete what you do not wish to keep

mkisofs -D -J -R -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=ATAPI:${CDR}` -M  ${CDR}  -quiet -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points `date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`=/root | cdrecord -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
That way you can check if all went well. On some CD-RAM drives the ~12M of padding causes the drive to think its reached the end, and also could cause old data from a prior burn to bleed through.
This will work for regular CD-Rs as well just remove the -blank=fast from the first example. DVD hints are found here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=29898#29898
ted, thanx for the info.

as far as what i am using, i had the original pup MS 1.05, and that was on a standard cd-r, and even that wasnt saving stuff on sessions correctly, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt.

as for the new ones, yes, i am using the cd-rw, and im burning the ISO image with nero.

as i said, the new 1.07, seems to be working fine now, i downloaded two programs and have rebooted, it loads them and has them saved when i reboot as well as all the normal settings and passwords that it asks me to save in password manager.

im just not sure why the prompting for a u/p was coming up...so, so far so good on this latest burn.

teecee

#20 Post by teecee »

dammit, im back to square one...
i had two plus sucessful days of the MS, and after downloading some new items to disk, i rebooted, had it saved and upon reboot, up comes the user name and password prompts after it tries to load the saved sessions...

this is getting really stupid now.....and im forced to keep using the 1.05 version as it never screws up....granted, it doesnt seem to save anything either....but it doesnt prompt during the reloading of saved sessions....

still looking for ideas.....

im going to try another burn with a cd-r, as i have been using the cd-rw for quite some time....

cthisbear

Puppy 1.07 Password

#21 Post by cthisbear »

This happend to me on a Toshiba Satellite 1750XCDT laptop.

I burned this copy of Puppy 1.07 with Puppy itself.
These multi session CDs do not play up on desktops.
But it asked for the password on the PCMAI .
I could not beat it. I even put the Pup001 download file
into the root directory of XP, yes I unzipped it, but no go.
The same day I had a Compac laptop - 3 years old that
would not boot. PC Lnux 92 worked on both.
With the Compact laptop everything, sound etc was a go
and straight onto the internet.
The Toshiba had a sound problem. This laptop does not seem
to have a network card. I am told that even though one would
think you would get this standard with Toshiba, this was not the case.
Some other brands did this too. I wonder if this is the problem.
Obviously I looked in the devices of XP, but no network card
and no errors. Puppy is just great for safe banking, etc St George.
Regards and thanks.

krumpli

login and password

#22 Post by krumpli »

I can add to teecee. I have been using multi-session vs 1.07 since the 4th of 5th of this month. I had 9 saved sessions on the dvd-r disk. My problems started last week either thursday or friday. On closing down and doing the back up of changed files, I got an error message that something went wrong with the disk writing and the program asked that I insert a new dvd into the drive. I followed instructions and when the disk writing was finished I shut down.

On the next re-boot I was asked for login info, both name and password. Unable to supply same, I had created an extra vs 1.07 multi-session earlier. I inserted this new extra disk and when it reached area about upgrade I said "yes" and it requested I place my disk that had the old data. I first tried the most recent disk that requested the login info. It did some copying and the end result was at the end I could not get xwin to work. It stated maybe user_cram.fs was not loaded.

Next I repeated the process using my original data disk that had the 9 sessions on it. So when I was asked about upgrade, I said "yes" and inserted that disk. Now request for login info.

Our of frustration I just today re-inserted the disk that I was told had some write problem. Well lo and behold it booted OK today. the data that I had changed before all this occurred was lost. I made some changes today. Then I just now shut down and it did a save on this disk. It showed saving session #10. Re-booted the computer and presently I am using the old disk on an active session presumably session 10.

Sorry I can not supply more info from my recollection.

Paul M

krumpli

login and password

#23 Post by krumpli »

I should have in included some system info:
ram = 1gig
proc = p4 3.0gHz
dvd = nec

Paul M

curious

Multisession CD

#24 Post by curious »

Hello all,

I have had enormous problems with creating one. Every time it asked for login and password. But you won't get any results unless you do one simple thing: YOUR DRIVES MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY EXCEPT FOR THE PUPPY CD! I noticed that this solution was not mentioned in this topic.

Curious.

teecee

#25 Post by teecee »

i am using the 1.07 and it had been workign good for about a week plus and all the sudden, it started again with the u/p request during the load procedure.

this laptop i have has NO hard drive in it, and runs the 1.05 puppy with no problems....

and of course, i had saved sessions to the 1.07 disk with all sorts of stuff i had downloaded via pupget, and now it doesnt work...

wtf is wrong with this version?????

teecee

#26 Post by teecee »

ok, just burned my 8th version of 1.07, saveed a couple of sessions after downloading and installing streamtuner, xmms, lastplay (linux version of launchcast)....

so, im going to try it later as i shut down the laptop after the last save.....

will let you know how this one goes.

puppian

#27 Post by puppian »

You may want to take a look at this page::
http://linuxgazette.net/107/tomar.html

And see HERE for a basic introduction on how the standard Puppy Livecd works.
And see these page too:
http://pupweb.org/puppy/development/howpuppyworks.html
http://pupweb.org/puppy/multi-puppy.htm
for more on how MS puppy works.

Btw, what does your /etc/shadow file looks like (open it in a text editor)?

I guess the problem has something to do with the burning / saving, and mounting (in normal puppy /root/.etc and /root/.usr are saved in pupxxx and mounted on boot, in MS puppy it's different...). Or does the problem only occur in laptop?
And I suspect that most dotpups are not made for MS puppy (most of them are tested in normal puppy).
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005