CLInet 0.8

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
WarMocK

#16 Post by WarMocK »

Okay, version 0.7 is on the air. See main post again.

RetroTechGuy

#17 Post by RetroTechGuy »

nooby wrote:I guess it is less embarrassing if I just leave it at that.

I think I do understant almost all of that but on a very primitive level.

what I asked was more like this:

What does one do with it apart from what you just descrbed. I got that part. the tech side of it.

I mean do you chat with people. Browse internet. Set up a server? Do survelliance of neighborhood. Manage Networks at your work..

Listen to internet radio. I mean what can it do socially or entertaining or communicating with others or what? Connecting two networks or what?
doing Tunneling or what? I kind of get the tech side of it but what is it for?

Just drop it if I made a fool of myself.
Actually, quite a cool idea. There are a great many things that can be done from the command line. I haven't tried the tool yet, but if it works one could conceivably run a CLI only computer. The GUI eats a lot of memory and horsepower. A CLI OS doesn't stress a computer too much (so the folks with REALLY old machines could pull them back out of the closet... ;) )

What could you do? There used to be graphical/semi-graphical browsers that would launch from the command line. There some of the video/audio players would launch and run from the command line (i.e. you didn't need to run X, in order to use them).

You could do email (e.g. using fetchmail, elm). Spool files via wget... And, of course, all the common stuff -- write text, program, play games...

This might be a fine tool if you wanted to set up a Puppy server, routing all traffic through the machine...

WarMocK

#18 Post by WarMocK »

RetroTechGuy wrote:Actually, quite a cool idea. There are a great many things that can be done from the command line. I haven't tried the tool yet, but if it works one could conceivably run a CLI only computer. The GUI eats a lot of memory and horsepower. A CLI OS doesn't stress a computer too much (so the folks with REALLY old machines could pull them back out of the closet... ;) )

What could you do? There used to be graphical/semi-graphical browsers that would launch from the command line. There some of the video/audio players would launch and run from the command line (i.e. you didn't need to run X, in order to use them).

You could do email (e.g. using fetchmail, elm). Spool files via wget... And, of course, all the common stuff -- write text, program, play games...

This might be a fine tool if you wanted to set up a Puppy server, routing all traffic through the machine...
Heh, you just explained some of the features I added inot my K-9 puplet. ;-)
It has a nice little collection of CLI apps (like elinks2, mp, bashburn, mp3blaster, Midnight Commander, rhapsody, and CLInet of course). However, the apps I chose were mainly included to help you recover your system after X crashed for some reason. I already had to use them a few times after I accidently screwed up my Xorg.conf or changed some persmissions incorrectly, and it was pretty easy with the CLI tools to fix the problem. ;-)
Maybe I'll add afew extra CLI tools later on and get a fully functional CLI-based OS under the hood. That might be VERY useful if I needed to remotely access my system and don't want to stress the connection with VPN.

WarMocK

#19 Post by WarMocK »

Version 0.8 is available. See first post.

goingnuts

#20 Post by goingnuts »

WarMocK: I really appreciate your work on this - and it is getting better and better! Basically I think that all the set-up wizards should be able to work from the command line. I have spend a lot of time rewriting some of P412´s wizards (probably back) to use dialog - and the network wizard really is complicated...
Lately I have found myself rewriting those wizards down to work in shell alone - and I think a fundamental demand for a setup wizard might be that it must be able to run in a shell - without dialog or other GUIs wrapped around it. Another demand could be that it should be able to run without bash - using BusyBox ash only (apart from the necessary programs that BusyBox do not supply...).
I have attached a small demo of a function that could be used to achieve the switch between pure shell and dialog. Clumsy coding but its only a prototype. Could be expanded to include xdialog as a choice although dialog coding used by xdialog sometimes get ugly and generates errors...
Attachments
cliordialog.tar.gz
shellscript with function to set output to pure shell or to dialog
(911 Bytes) Downloaded 625 times

WarMocK

#21 Post by WarMocK »

goingnuts: congratulations, you summed up my philosophy for a proper failsafe system - something I'm trying to accomplish on my K-9 puplet right now. ;-)
And thank you for that demo, I'm gonna examine it when I get back from work.

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

K9 is popular name.
K9 is an opensource email client based on the Email application shipped with the initial release of Android.

K9 is focused on making it easy to chew through large volumes of email. It's our hope that K9 leads to improvements in the core Android mail client.
did you get inspired by that one? Hmm maybe it has to do with KDE GUI for Ubuntu?

I know nothing. Anyway I will get K-9-mail for my Android phone soon.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

goingnuts

#23 Post by goingnuts »

I got a little carried away - took the liberty to implement the shell/dialog function in CLInet.sh and at the same time tried to make script work with ash (changed #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ash) - mainly a rewrite of the bash arrays in the functions LoadConfig and LoadScript.
Just to see if it worked...
I have no modem or wireless at the moment so I do not know if the script still does what it should - but the switch between pure shell output and dialog seems to work...
Attachments
CLInet_demo.tar.gz
CLInet.sh_demo_shell_or_dialog
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 608 times