Puppy Stardust 004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:Really like this derivative, especially the Puppy Control Center, however it does have a problem refreshing the screen when you select a function
You have increased the global fontsize......Hopefully fixed for 005. - Not hopefully, I should be ok now :)

Sigmund

zigbert

#47 Post by zigbert »

pemasu
I understand easily why you like cross-country skiing. A wonderful surrounding !

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

nice derivative! I'm also getting the Xdialog: Wpa_supplicant failed to start error if there's no wireless card (previously reported by jim1911.. maybe needs a test? ). Works fine with my Netgear WAG511 card, though. (note: there's no saved wireless config present).

gyro

#49 Post by gyro »

jpeps wrote:nice derivative! I'm also getting the Xdialog: Wpa_supplicant failed to start error if there's no wireless card (previously reported by jim1911.. maybe needs a test? ).
I had this problem with Pwireless2 in dpup. The problem is the Pwireless2 script in /root/Startup. It does not detect the absence of wireless hardware and exit. A simple workaround on machines with no wireless hardware, is to stop this script from running. An easy way to do this is to remove its Exec permissions.

gyro

gposil

#50 Post by gposil »

gyro said:
I had this problem with Pwireless2 in dpup. The problem is the Pwireless2 script in /root/Startup. It does not detect the absence of wireless hardware and exit. A simple workaround on machines with no wireless hardware, is to stop this script from running. An easy way to do this is to remove its Exec permissions.
Even simpler...now in Dpup483beta3, is to move Pwireless2 out of /root/Startup, and simply have a dialog asking whether your network is wireless or not and continuing accordingly...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

zigbert

#51 Post by zigbert »

jemimah is working on Pwireless2 as a complete replacement of network-wizard.
At this stage of Stardust, I don't see the big deal of this dialog. On the other hand, I think it is very important to include Pwireless in Dpup and other puplets to give massive feedback to jemimah. She probably reads this, but to be sure you should consider to make some noise in the Pwireless2 thread.

Thanks
Sigmund

zigbert

#52 Post by zigbert »

Isn't it time for a development screeny. - Already gone 3 days since last release. :D

Jim1911

#53 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:You have increased the global fontsize......Hopefully fixed for 005. - Not hopefully, I should be ok now Smile
Correct, 90 is better for my eyes.
Thanks,
Jim

jemimah

#54 Post by jemimah »

zigbert wrote:She probably reads this, but to be sure you should consider to make some noise in the Pwireless2 thread.
I do read this thread. What this tells me is that I need a more descriptive error message. :)
---

I'm in the process of rethinking the startup scripts. Hopefully it'll be fixed for the next version. If you want to help me figure out why you get that error, please run /root/Startup/Pwireless2 from the command line and post the output on the Pwireless2 thread.

tasmod

#55 Post by tasmod »

Hi Zigbert,

Fresh 004 install, no changes.

Psync won't launch, the usr/local/bin file has no path in it.

One problem for me is Geany. It will not run 'execute' on scripts but instead generates a geany-run-Script file.

In 421 I could always test out scripts I was writing by using execute and watching output.

I cannot confirm it but I also think it is generating errors with some scripts when testing.
The only clue I have is I have to shutdown Geany and restart, then the results I expect are there on next run. This has also affected Mick in a similar way.

I know it's within the 004 install as it happens on two new installs here.

The default start directory is set to an apparent French file which occasionally error messages.

Love the pup though, the Control Center is a masterpiece, but must we spell in merkin, it's Centre in English. :D
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#56 Post by tasmod »

To resolve issues with drives, as promised a new Startmount is released. This also has a new app incorporated.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50845
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

trio

#57 Post by trio »

zigbert wrote:Isn't it time for a development screeny. - Already gone 3 days since last release. :D

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45029 ? :D

gerry

#58 Post by gerry »

Is there/will there be a retro version? Puppy 431 with the modern kernel won't run on my old machine- it needs the retro version of 431.

gerry

zigbert

#59 Post by zigbert »

Rob wrote:Psync won't launch, the usr/local/bin file has no path in it.
Fixed!
One problem for me is Geany. It will not run 'execute' on scripts but instead generates a geany-run-Script file.
Yes, very irritating from a developers viewpoint. This bug joined us for Puppy 4.3, and I am just waiting for one of our brilliant compilers to give us an updated package. :)
The default start directory is set to an apparent French file which occasionally error messages.
What does this mean? Are we talking Geany or......

aragon

#60 Post by aragon »

try to set the pref for terminal to

Code: Select all

/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c
this might solve the issue.

aragon

zigbert

#61 Post by zigbert »

Trio
We both agree on the joy of a complete theme choosing system. How great it would be to have a theme-preset-chooser. - One click and my complete Puppy system goes from Deepthought-Brown to Stardust-Blue :D

However, we might not agree on which road that leads to it.
Your 'Desktop Display Profile Mananger' is a nice try, but I think it has some weaknesses:
- The original switchers (gtk/icons...) separately has their strengths showing graphics preview.
- It does not contain theme settings of all Puppy/Stardust components. Cursor theme, widgets theme, analog clock theme)

KISS :D
Sigmund

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

gerry wrote:Is there/will there be a retro version? Puppy 431 with the modern kernel won't run on my old machine- it needs the retro version of 431.

gerry
I have no plans for it....this is just a playground for the Stardust Desktop. On the other hand, it is not hard to do, so at some final stage, it could be done.....

Sigmund

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

aragon wrote:
try to set the pref for terminal to

/usr/X11R7/bin/xterm -e bash -c
this might solve the issue.

aragon
Wonderful :D - It works

Thank you
Sigmund

trio

#64 Post by trio »

Sigmund,

I was just pulling your leg,....anyway..you might want to update freq scaling ondemand tool...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45143

01micko

#65 Post by 01micko »

Just a thought Sigmund FWIW...

I notice defaulttextviewer opens geany (edit, no I changed that from nicoedit). MIME types for all text files are set to defaulttexteditor That's fine, but some programs in their 'help' defaulttextviewer is called (including some in Pwidgets).

Technosaurus uses Xdialog as a text viewer as referenced here and he has used this method elsewhere for awhile.

Perhaps, as simple textviewer, this could be used.

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --title "Textviewer" --textbox $1 0 0 
naming it as "textviewer" and changing defaultextviewer accordingly.

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access