how can i install driver for sis740 onboard chipset

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
bobie

how can i install driver for sis740 onboard chipset

#1 Post by bobie »

I found the driver for rehat,but I don't know how to install it on puppy,can anyone help me?

fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

Do you really need it? Does puppy include any driver for that?

prehistoric

SiS embedded video

#3 Post by prehistoric »

SiS embedded video has long been a problem for Linux. I've got a board with SiS 671/771 video which shows timing glitches as sparkles, particularly at high resolutions. Current Puppy video is based on an older version of xorg, and typically uses a VESA driver for problem boards.

There is a driver which I've tested under iMedia Linux which solves these problems, but it is for a different version of xorg. Here is where I found the source. The source is more than 1 MB. This appears to address issues found in a number of SiS chips, including the 740. This code has been incorporated in the SiS driver in Mandriva Linux.

It should be possible, even straight-forward, to apply patches and compile this for Puppy 4.3.1, as it should work with any xorg version >7.0 I just haven't done it yet. It has been years since I compiled video drivers, and this one is not simple.

If anyone else gets this working, please report your success. This could benefit many other people, even if the numbers on your video chips are different.