R - statistics package and scripting language

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
pabloabc

R and RStudio

#76 Post by pabloabc »

Hi to everybody!

Although I'm using several tastes of Puppy linux since long time ago, this is my first mail here...

First of all, congratulations to all the supporters and the people that is working hard for such a wonderful distro.
I'm very happy with it. Thanks to all of you.

Now my problem...

I'm using LxPup12.12 I think it is an Ubuntu 12.04 precise compatible Puppy with a light Graphical front, similar to Lubuntu.

Now, I'm starting a Coursera Course to learn R and RStudio so I need to install them in this Puppy linux machine.
That is mandatory for the Course.
At the moment I know almost nothing about neither program...
Only that they are statistical opensource programs.

My first attempt was to search, download and install Saluki's R-2.14.1-Saluki.sfs
Tha sfs was posted in the link below by emil on 2010 I think.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51141

Once the sfs is loaded as usual, I opened a terminal and typed R. The R promt came and the program was running smoothly.
Ran some demo library's packages and everything was ok with the R program in the terminal.
The second step was to install The RStudio. I couldn't find any pet for this so I decided to download
the .deb package and installed it with the provided pet instaler.

It created a menu entry but when I tried to run it, it says in a window :

R shared library (/usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so) not found. If this is a custom build of R, was it built with the --enable-R-shlib option?

After that the RStudio program exits.
Not sure what's wrong but for sure I don't know how to fix it... I've never built anything in puppy linux.

Anyone can find a simple solution to fix this annoying problem ? or
Maybe there are some properly pet/sfs packages to have RStudio running?

Also I want to know how do I uninstall the not runing .deb RStudio ?
The downloaded package was rstudio-0.98.501-i386.deb (32bits) ?

Sorry for my English. It is my second language...
Thanks a lot for your help.

emil

#77 Post by emil »

Dear pabloabc,

The first thing which comes to my mind is to install R a via the included puppy package manager. If it is not available, than please look at the CRAN website for a package that fits to your puppy version.

Mixing different packages (like my compile for Saluki and a debian package for RStudio) is asking for troubles. I am sorry that it is impossible for me to give support for the multitude of puppies and variants in use.

Maybe this link is some help:

http://livesoncoffee.wordpress.com/2012 ... ntu-12-04/

If you want to use a Debian 7 compatible, puppy like base system, with apt-get package manager, for which you will likely find deb packages and instructions for most scientific software, then please consider to try

saintless et al, DebianDog:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

or even my CAT041:
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... T-0.41.iso

cheers
emil

emil

#78 Post by emil »

Dear pabloabc,
sorry my answer somehow didn't went through yesterday.

My first suggestion is to try to install R from the Ubuntu repos using the puppy package manager with your current puppy version.

then you could try to install the Rstudio binaries from their home page.

Mixing different versions, like my package for saluki and the ubuntu debs is asking for troubles.

I am sorry that I am not able to give detailed and tested help for every puppy version. My personal approach changed to favor Debian stable based versions like DebianDog or my CAT041. With those you have full apt-get and also in most cases you find detailed instructions somewhere on the web.

good luck and success,
emil

pabloabc

#79 Post by pabloabc »

Hi emil and all !!

Thanks emil for your kind answer... It didn't solve my problem but guided
me to find the (not elegant ) solution at the moment.

To make rstudio run in LxPup 12.12 I downloaded the R package from an Ubuntu repository with the normal LxPup install tool and then i also downloaded the linux *.deb RStudio package taken from the RStudio site https://www.rstudio.com/ide/download/desktop

After instaling R it doesn't work at all. When I tried to run it, it said

/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libblas.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for that file ( libblas.so.3gf ) in my computer and it existed there.

After a long time searching the web I could find some light here,
http://pebblesinthesand.wordpress.com/2 ... me-errors/

To fix R, I had to put the missing dynamic library path so R, could find it.
The command ldd /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R confirmed that R couldn't find that library.

In a terminal, at the prompt, I wrote,
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/libbla

then again ldd /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R confirmed that this time R sees every
dynamic library it needs.

At the prompt I put R and this time the program ran perfectly.

I exited the program R and in the same terminal that now have the path fixed, and I ran RStudio with the command /usr/lib/rstudio/bin/rstudio

Fortunately RStudio was running smoothly this time.

I know that this is not a definitive solution but it worked for me. Maybe someone who knows more than I can solve this issue in a more convenient manner.

Thanks to all for the help.

emil

library paths

#80 Post by emil »

Hi pabloabc,

you could put the line

Code: Select all

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/libbla
into a configuration file like /etc/profile or alternativly maybe /root/.bashrc

so it is automatically added to the libary path when you start puppy.

Or maybe you could also create a symlink to the blas library (this is a very basic linar algebra library) somewhere in your existing library path (e.g. /usr/local/lib).

Thank you for your detailed report how you solved the problem!

kind regards
emil

vdhvu

#81 Post by vdhvu »

email, do you have sfs for R version of 3.10?

Thanks

emil

#82 Post by emil »

Hi,

I am sorry, no.
For which puppy version if I may ask?

If you dare to venture you could build your own.
Download the latest R sources from CRAN servers, unpack them, read the docs, install the devx.sfs and then do something like

cd R*
./configure --enable-shared-libs
make
new2dir make install
this should install R to your computer.
To build a sfs you could do something like

dir2sfs "R-binary-directory"
R is not hard to build, so it is a good starting project, although there may be lions.

kind regards
emil

greengeek

#83 Post by greengeek »

Does anyone have a version of R that will run on Slacko 5.6 please? I am in the early stages of researching/testing what is available and there seem to be many dead links in various threads.

I did try to download from the main R website but I got many errors when trying to run (I have never run R before so stumbling blind at this stage). This is for my stepdaughter who is a stats fan (weird I know...). Just hoped to demonstrate what puppy can do.
cheers!

emil

#84 Post by emil »

Dear greengeek,

I think there is no ready made R package for slackware or slacko. You can download the sourcecode and then compile it yourself. You cannot run the sourcecode. In a previous post I gave a short description, it is not hard to do but needs some work on the commandline. Of course your milage may vary.
kind regards
emil

greengeek

#85 Post by greengeek »

Hi emil - many thanks for the reply. I am currently trialling Fatdog64 to run an R sfs from forum member "step" to get myself familiar with R, then I will try to complie it for Slacko when I have a better idea of what I am doing.
cheers!

slavvo67

#86 Post by slavvo67 »

No F77 compiler found.... How do I get one of them and install?

emil

#87 Post by emil »

gfortran is the GNU fortran compiler

The devx.sfs package really should have it. In case not, then here is a link to linux binaries:
http://gfortran.meteodat.ch/download/i686/

cheers