XP-like puppy ENGLISH version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Packrat1947

X and Y mixed

#16 Post by Packrat1947 »

Hi, I love your new vesion of Puppy.

However, the X and Y are mixed up for me (USA). I'm running off the bootable CD.

What do I have to do to correct this? At first I thought that I could ignore it, hoping that it was just a "display" error.

Thanks for any help.

When I saw this distro, I immediately thought of one of my customer's who is haveing trouble using XP on an old Win98 era computer.

Keep up the good work and let me know if this can be fixed on the CD. Can the .iso be pulled apart, fixed, and then be usable. I've never done this before.

Thanks,

Packrat1947

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

Didn't work with wired LAN on my Acer but will most likely work on my HP/Compaq.

Kind of cool for people who are addicted to XP look. Thanks for providing it.

Edit

the competition is tightening.

the Chinese are coming.

There is a version of XP from China that is mention at both DistroWatch and Gizmagic?

But it takes up to one hour to download So I have not tried it. And it seems to be an ubuntu distro remaster and they usually don't save in frugal install so I will not tried it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

lvds

#18 Post by lvds »

Please S-kami let us know if you release an updated version
correcting the keyboard that was not asked and the XFE
file manager ; I know of some people will like it a lot :D

Great work !

Best regards
Laurent

sullysat

#19 Post by sullysat »

I really like what I see of this distro, but I have a problem in that it doesn't appear to see or mount usb flash sticks. I've tried a variety of flash sticks on a variety of equipment without any luck whatsoever.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

sullysat

Re: keyboard solution

#20 Post by sullysat »

s-kami wrote: Keyboard UK issue:
delete the file : /etc/keymap (contains hu.keymap) and restart puppy.
Than you will be asked for keyboard. Afterward start menu-- > settings -->mouse/keyboard wizard -->advanced xorg keyboard configuration -->layouts--> gb united kingdom and click to yes, activate new settings.
Now i have UK keyboard.
I'm having the same issue with a US keyboard. The above fix, does allow me to choose the keyboard and creates a keymap file in /etc that says only

us.map

However, the Y key still types a Z and the Z key still types a Y.

Help!

Sully
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

ScottInMt

#21 Post by ScottInMt »

I'm having the same issue with a US keyboard. The above fix, does allow me to choose the keyboard and creates a keymap file in /etc that says only

us.map

However, the Y key still types a Z and the Z key still types a Y.
What finally worked for me was to open the console and type

"setxkbmap us" ( without the quotes) and press enter. If it works, you will see # with no error message.

I presume "setxkbmap uk" would work for UK users.

Hope this helps.

Scott

sullysat

#22 Post by sullysat »

Well that works until I reboot. Then it reverts back to the same file that I've deleted four times already.

lvds

#23 Post by lvds »

Hi,

You can build a remaster that will put things back to normal.
Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

# remasterpup2 &
when puppy will ask if you want to save the hardware settings, be
sure to answer NO.

Then when puppy will ask if you want to modify /tmp/etc
open a filemanager window and go to directory /tmp/etc
check if there is a file named keymap and if there is one
simply delete it. Then close the filemanager window and proceed
to the normal completion of remaster as usual.

Geek tips: if you were running with PFIX=ram you will be able to
put the new SFS in place on the fly ; then ask for a shutdown and
don't save anything ; when you will reboot and be back to puppy
you will have the brand new version 8)

Best regards
Laurent

Packrat1947

#24 Post by Packrat1947 »

It seems this fellow was soooo close to success. I guess he has given up. Probably too busy doing something else.

Packrat1947

utensil

#25 Post by utensil »

I can't get it to install any .pets:

They all say, “Error, package x failed to Install.

lvds

#26 Post by lvds »

Packrat1947 wrote:It seems this fellow was soooo close to success. I guess he has given up. Probably too busy doing something else.

Packrat1947
well it depends on what you mean by "success" but anyone can still rebuild this
version to get something else if necessary. Maybe write a list of things you would
like to see improved and someone here can help you ? ...it could be fun and I may
have free time soon :wink:

Best regards
Laurent

Packrat1947

#27 Post by Packrat1947 »

Well, the issue is the keyboard mapping is incorrect for the English language. Should we pop off the keys and reposition them?

Do you have a software "overlay" to correct this matter? You sound quite knowledgeable, in resolving issues like this.

Thanks for any help in this matter. Many folks are waiting for a fix.

Packrat1947

utensil

#28 Post by utensil »

I got the .pet files to install, so nvm.

Does anyone know how to put a volume control on the taskbar? And where are the icons to switch between multiple desktops?

Also, I noticed that when I r-click on an icon, the menu item that lets me run it in a terminal window is gone. Is there a way to put that back?

utensil

#29 Post by utensil »

The volume control appears when I switch to JWM, so it's an IceWM problem.
So far, the only way I can get it to show up is if I run icewmtray and absvolume from a terminal window, but I just can't get it to do it by itself and it's gone when I close the terminal. I tried editing /root/icewm/startup and /usr/bin/starticewm with no success.
The slider control takes up ⅔ of the little slider window area with some dead space at the bottom.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

I found the buttons for multiple desktops. Edit: /root/icewm/preferences and make sure that TaskBarShowWorkspaces=1. (Only if anybody's curious about how I fixed it. It's not default like that on Windows.)
I recommend other new users to poke around inside this file and others under /root/icewm and its subdirectories. You get to tweak a lot of the little things that make learning a new operating system fun ¦ ).

I guess I can do without the easy access to the terminal since I'm becoming accustomed to using it. It's just frustrating when you click on an icon and nothing happens. Thankfully the CPU monitor is enabled by default on XP-like so you know when it's not doing anything and can run it in rxvt to see the error that's supposed to be displayed. I would probably have shouted a lot of obscenities at my computer recommending some physically impossible activities that it could do with itself if that weren't there.

There is extensive support for Wine built-in to XP-like, so here's a tip I picked up from somewhere else on these forums:

/root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ms-dos-executable

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

cd "${@%/*}"
wine "$@"
It made a big difference for me, so whoever's making a list for lvds should add this right after the keyboard thing and Xfe.

And what about a separate download for extra themes like a Vista pack? I always ran XP with a skinned Vista Black look.

Throw away Aqualung, all the other rippers and players included are much better. Set gxine as the default player because it has more of a Media Player-esque look and feel. In fact, there are too many. Most of these should be removed to cut the filesize.

Set it so that when you double-click on the speaker icon in the task bar, it runs ZMixer. Just like we're used to in windows.

Edit the numbers in /root/icewm/ledclock to look like a Windows XP clock.

×÷×÷× Edit Apr 2 ×÷×÷×
I found the post about Wine that I was talking about earlier:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d9e8c1523f
The posting by mikeb

There seem to be a lot of stuff in the menu that's not installed. It should be cleaned up a little.

...I wonder if it would be easier to start from scratch, that way you know exactly what's there and what you're doing. Also, I took a loss in performance when I migrated from WinXP to this, so there might be a problem. Even my .jar executables run slower.
Now that I think about it, it probably would be best to start with a fresh 4.31 and strip it down, then add WinXP-like stuff to it... anyway, back to the monologue:

Change the default font for dialog boxes & file windows. Windows users are accustomed to being able to tell the difference between ‘I’, ‘i’, and ‘l’. (Especially when a situation arises [like a linux install] that necessitates typing filenames containing those letters in a terminal window.) Those letters all being a straight line is more of a Macintosh thing, and even they can see the dot over the ‘i’ without squinting. I wouldn't mind it at all if DejaVu were to suddenly go missing.

JWM isn't properly configured. That should be set up for those who (need to / would like to) squeeze more speed out of their system.

Make a separate entry in /root/.icewm/toolbar to supply a menu of links to configuration files that can be edited. XWindows is far from user friendly in comparison to Windows; the best way to snag new users is by showing off how much it can be tweaked under the hood. And I think this could be helped by including a caveat that Linux is not and never has been intended to be user friendly. XWindows is just a GUI for Linux, but if you can run Linux, that makes you a “power user

alejol

Workaround for keyboard problem in XP-like Puppy

#30 Post by alejol »

First at all, s-kami, thanks for your work!! I am using XP-like at this moment and looks great!

For correcting keyboard issue, I have created a script with a simple text editor ( Geany ), with this two lines:

#!/bin/sh
setxkbmap es

(I am a Spanish speaker, if you put setxkbmap us the US keyboard works correctly, I have proof this).

Save with name my-keyboard in directory /root/Startup .
Using rox file manager, open this directory and right-click over my-keyboard . From the floating menu choose File 'my-keyboard' / Permissions Command: a+x (Make executable/searchable)

(All programs or scripts put in /root/Startup will be executed
every time after X desktop is loaded).

Then, reboot XP-like Puppy and voila! Keyboard problem solved!
This solution is given by ScottInMt .

alejol

#31 Post by alejol »

sullysat wrote:I really like what I see of this distro, but I have a problem in that it doesn't appear to see or mount usb flash sticks. I've tried a variety of flash sticks on a variety of equipment without any luck whatsoever.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Sully
Well, in my old Pentium II with 256 MB RAM, the pendrives work well in XP-like Puppy (USB
pendrive Kingston 2GB; this PC has USB 1.1 port)

alejol

USB disks do not work in XP-like live CD

#32 Post by alejol »

I must correct a post I did. XP-like Puppy do not work with pendrives when started from live CD. The desktop icon appears, but the pendrive never is mounted, neither if you use the mount application.

But, in a full install in hard disk, the pendrives work OK.

Pelo

s-kami, is that keyboard a real magyar keyboard ?

#33 Post by Pelo »

s-kami, is that keyboard a real magyar keyboard ?
Old topic, i know, si i have to explain why this one. Because the how-to is explained in English.
Being translated to french, but it takes me half a day, because my wife is on holidays .
Attachments
magyar.jpg
Certified ?
(59.05 KiB) Downloaded 229 times