Is it possible to Extract an application out of a Puplet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kirby

Is it possible to Extract an application out of a Puplet?

#1 Post by Kirby »

I hope this doesn't sound too strange. But Is is possible to extract or "Rip" an application from a Puplet to create a pet package? For instance, I really like a Seamonkey version in lets say Turbopup and would like to use it in say Skinner puplet. They both use the same base version of Puppy.

I am asking this because I could start with a good base and build a Puppy that would suit my tastes more. I imagine that kernels and windows managers are a restricting element of course.

Stock pet packages do not have all the nice customizations I have seen in the Puplets.

Kirby
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

The restriction with software is usually the user space libs...eg gtk versions and such .The kernel is rarely invloved..that is handling hardware.

Well it all depends on the program..in the case of say seamonkey its is all in one folder in /usr/lib with config in /root/.mozilla. You could grab it and toss it anywhere as you like as long as there is some sort of link to the start up binary. You could bung it in /opt like other distros do.

Other software is placed in the /bin /lib /share arrangement in /usr.
Others are compiled 'statically' and are basically standalone binaries.

Everything in linux is file based. so no registry crap.
Get used to running from the terminal and the common paths...this will give you all the info you need..eg missing library...move path ...add symlink etc.

Just a quick overview from my odd viewpoint

mike

Kirby

#3 Post by Kirby »

Oh Wow!
I knew there was another reason I love Puppy Linux! That is very liberating. I am just so used to all that registry stuff from windoze that I expected everything to be "Installed" in that manner.

Thank you Very much Mike for the info. You have given me more insight into how Linux works and I Love it!

Kirby
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

As part of your college training just nosy around /usr/bin and try
(application name) --help
in a terminal ...see what you get ...try out using options..

Most scripted functions (eg connection wizard) is built upon lots of little but useful binaries strung together

It can really get thee creative juices flowing

Regards

mike