Puppy On Laptops

Using applications, configuring, problems
rokytnji

#256 Post by rokytnji »

sasha

I am but it is a la[top I am using

#257 Post by sasha »

I have a Dell latitude CPI 366 with 128mgs of Ram 4 gig hard drive for $8 Windows 2000 was on it but busted so I thought I would give a free OS a try. After looking and trying I settled on Wary Puppy as the best bet for the machine, but
I can't install to the hard drive( the best option for what I want to do) I keep getting ext2 ext3 failure, Kernel in panic , not synching all sorts of error messages I followed all the instructions watched the videos etc. I can run it from the CD and can save personal file my setup to a USB flash (4 gig) and it reboots fine in that format. Frugal install doesn't work either maybe my hard drive is to old to support ext files? doesn't work with fat files either also Wary recognizes my wirless card finds my network I put in my wep key but is unable to connect to my network (windows network) but I still should be able to get online I know the card is good because I used it in an XP laptop. It looks great but I can't do anyhting with it. I tried DSL, Slacko, Legacy, lucid. ubuntu won't partition HD so I can't install 5.0 so I guess it's my machine but Wary is suppose to be for older machines Shouldn't and IDE ATA be able to accept EXT files? let me know what I could be doing wrong

cthisbear

#258 Post by cthisbear »

Why not try Puppy .4.3.1??

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... rimental1/

Or Puppy 4.2.1

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/puppylinux/

Be aware that Barry had retro versions as well.

WhoDo was Project Coordinator for the 4.2 series of Puppy.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42696

"""""

Or its cousins.

Re-done Puppy 4.31

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57371

I uploaded it here.

http://www.4shared.com/file/7sqsvU0p/klp-006.html

""""""""""

Try the early Fluppy by jemimah.

http://www.smokey01.com/menu/

Look under the Mad Scientists = developers >> jemimah.

"""""""

Turbopup

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/turbopup4.2/

::::::::::

Guy Dog 5.0.1

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72576

http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/iso/guydog-5.0.1.iso

"""""""""

Akita Linux

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67811

Scroll down for >> Older versions:

"""""""

http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm

Download links on the page.

Don't be put off by the name....excellent

"""""""
214x-Top10.0 ISO

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553

Updated Puppy 2 series by ttuuxxx .
Solid releases.

Try some older ones...from 5 up.

""""""

TXZ_pup 4.5

big_bass ...top bloke...smart release.

http://puppylinux.info/topic/txz

http://puppy2.org/slaxer/

""""""

Wary Tiny (81mb)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68284

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/WaryTiny.iso

Chris.

grump

#259 Post by grump »

Edit to say that all is now well after a defrag. Now I have the pain of re-doing re-installs etc etc.
grump wrote:
grump wrote:I seem to have Slacko 5.3.1 running on a HP Mini 2140. The Broadcom 4322 wireless did not work until I got the wl driver and did more or less what it says in the 1st post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=344002

HP Mini 2140
2Gb RAM
160Gb HDD

Edit to add - the wireless only worked once. .....
Pleased to report that Slacko 5.3.3 seems to work well on the Mini - picked up the wireless first time. But I've only tried once - so we'll see if it still works when I try again.

Edit to add - tried later and it still works (after a hickup when it looked like all the settings etc were lost) on the HP Mini.

I meant to say that it works perfick on the old Toshiba A200 too.
I'm sad to say that Slacko 5.3.3 has cacked itself on my old A200, and I can't revive it. I run it from a CD and save on the HDD. I've even tried starting from scratch - copied off the save file and deleted the slacko sfs, and it runs ok first time but fails to save setting properly at shutdown. It saves something but on restart I have a screen full of caution triangles and it wants to do the initial setup stuff again. Back to Lupo for the time being. I'll defrag the HDD on XP and try again later.

capicoso

#260 Post by capicoso »

dk60902 wrote:
capicoso wrote:Just bought an used HP Elitebook 8440p.

HP Elitebook 8440p:
Processor: Intel Core i5 vPro M520 @ 2.43gHz
Graphics: Intel GMA HD
SDRAM: 4gB DDR3 1333mHz
HDD: 250gB 7200rpm
Optical Drive: hp CDDVDW TS-L633R Lightscribe
Display: 14" LED 1360x768

Tested on Lucid Puppy 5.28.
Had to boot with puppy pfix=nox, if xorg was auto loaded screen would be black. Run xorg-setup, select vesa and resolution. Then install intel driver and all ok with xorg.
Optical drive works.
Sound card works.
Ethernet works.
Wireless, had to install iwlagn-firmware-update-k2.6.33.2.pet. Then it works.
Pointstick works
Touchpad works(scroll, tap, all ok)
Card reader works
Something that surprised me was the support for multimedia keys. It has a touch sensitive multimedia keys and all except one worked out of the box. Volume control, mute, wireless, and quickweb worked out of the work.
I have to test bluetooth, firewire, displayport, vga out.

edit: Bluetooth works.
Congrats. Sounds like you have a winner. What wireless card/chipset is on this laptop?
hello. It has Intel Centrino Ultimate-N / Advanced-N 6000 Series 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless LAN module; or Broadcom
b/g wireless LAN module . It looks like it has two adapters, which one i use? i dont know... And i add, with kernel 3x wireless works out of the box. The only thing that doesn't work is lcd brightness control...

Jolyon

Puppy on Laptops

#261 Post by Jolyon »

HI,

Downloaded Slacko-Puppy last night in a way that allowed me to have a dual boot Laptop. The Laptop concerned is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a 1.7 G chip with 2 G of ram. Only the wireless connection required any configuration from me but that was easy using the wizards available.

I am very pleased.

Yours,

Jolyon

gerry

#262 Post by gerry »

I have Slacko 5.3.3 frugal installs on my Acer Aspire One and Thinkpad T60p. No problems at all. Both computers triple-boot, with XP and Debian Squeeze.

Mostly use Slacko, of course, XP never, Debian now and again.

kurtdriver

#263 Post by kurtdriver »

Wary is quite zippy on Compaq Presario C500. It belongs to a co-worker who needed an OS. and he's quite happy with it. Just doing a little configuration prior to having to give it back..

6502coder

Two laptops with Puppy

#264 Post by 6502coder »

1) Wary 5.1.4.1 frugal, dual-boot with Win98, on a Sony Vaio F270
333 Mhz Pentium II, 192M ram, 6.4 G disk. Airlink AWLC3026 wireless card.

I keep reading posts telling people to stick with Puppy 4.x or earlier on hardware this old, but this setup runs just fine for me. I use it for word processing and hobbyist programming. Web browsing is sluggish but no surprise given the limited hardware.

Some details about my disk layout may be of interest. I have the Puppy system files in a 1 G ext3 partition and a 256 M swap partition. A third, 600 M ext3 partition holds my data and work files, including source code files, word-processsing files, and a small selection of MP3s. Using a 3rd partition like this keeps all that stuff from eating up space in my personal save file and makes it easier to change to a different version of Puppy. One folder on this partition holds a large collection of reference docs, such as man pages, application user guides, cheat sheets, etc. so that I can do work without a live Internet connection.

I reformatted a 4 G flash drive as an ext3 filesystem and use this to keep backups of my pupsave file and the data-work file partition.

2) Precise Puppy 5.4.91 (non-PAE) frugal, dual-boot with WinXP on a HP/Compaq Presario 2200
1.3 Ghz Celeron M 320 (this is a non-PAE cpu), 512M ram, 40 G disk. The Puppy side is again 3 partitions--an ext3 system file partition, a swap partition, and an ext3 data/work partition.

I installed Precise on this machine just yesterday, because I was curious about the supposed advantages of the Ubuntu base. Previously I had Wary 5.2.2 installed, and Puppy 4.2.1 before that.

I use this machine mostly for WinXP because of hobby-related software for which I cannot find good Linux alternatives, I'm sorry to say. I haven't looked into Wine because the Windows stuff works and that's good enough for me.

So far Precise seems to run okay. Getting wireless Internet connection working was a breeze, and sound and video files run without problems. Web videos seem sluggish compared to what I'm used to on this machine with XP, but that may be Seamonkey--on the XP side I use Firefox.

antilet

Puppy Linux on a Toshiba Satallite M30X-124

#265 Post by antilet »

I tried different Puppys on my 'old' Laptop (most of them frugal):

Toshiba Satallite M30X-124
Intel Pentium M Processor 725 - Centrino 1.60 GHz
Intel 855GME Chipset
512 MB RAM 80 GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 - urges sometimes trouble
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG - I don't get to work

Slacko 5.3.3
Runs fine, but tries to use mesa-driver (if i use the improve xorg-button),
the mesa-driver don't fit to the ATI-card and causes black/garbage screen.
No wlan so far.

ArchPUP (non PAE)
Runs fine - no wlan so far

Lucid 5.2.8-005 (also LazY 202), Wary, Racy 5.3, Slacko 5.4
all they have problems with the TouchPad-Contoller, but this can fixed with some boot params: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll
no wlan so far

Retro Precise 5.4
(edit) needs i8042.unlock i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll
for proper start - no wlan so far
Last edited by antilet on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

greengeek

Re: Puppy Linux on a Toshiba Satallite M30X-124

#266 Post by greengeek »

antilet wrote:all they have problems with the TouchPad-Contoller, but this can fixed with some boot params: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll
Where did you learn how to use such boot parameters to control the touchpad? That is very interesting.

antilet

Re: Puppy Linux on a Toshiba Satallite M30X-124

#267 Post by antilet »

greengeek wrote:Where did you learn how to use such boot parameters to control the touchpad? That is very interesting.
Sadly I never lerned - i had luck with g..gle ;)
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

maxpro4u

Dell D610

#268 Post by maxpro4u »

Slacko 5.3.3 on a dell d610 laptop. Sound works and so do the buttons. Touchpad tap and scroll works. Broadcom 4318 wireless works. Running from a usb drive. Used unetbootin to install.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

zippytex

Toshiba Tecra M9

#269 Post by zippytex »

This works on Slacko, latest version.

I really only have one complaint. I cannot get it to suspend or hibernate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

watchdog

Slacko 5.5 on Hp 6730b laptop

#270 Post by watchdog »

I'm using the hp 6730b laptop for all the puppies I tested: it works fine with all the puppies although the laptop has a quirky bios.

http://www.linlap.com/hp-compaq_6730b

Today I tested Slacko 5.5: the cd doesn't boot. I found that the bios wrongly maps the memory forcing to "0" some values. The cd boots on other laptops but I'm using this now and I have to renounce to slacko.

EDIT: I was able to boot slacko 5.5 cd and proceed to frugal install by restoring to factory defaults the bios of the hp 6730b machine. It probably needs bios upgrade but it's possible only by a windows install.

r__hughes

#271 Post by r__hughes »

I use grub-booted frugal Slacko55PAE and Puppy431 on a DELL Latitude D630 Laptop with 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz processors, 2GB RAM & (nominal)150G harddrive.which came with 1 bootable ntfs partition with WinXP Pro installed.

I defragged, resized and repartitioned the drive & made it grub-bootable for WinXP on the sda1/ntfs & frugal slacko55PAE and pup431 installations on the sda3/ext2 partition; a sda2/ntfs partition is for files available to WinXP & Linux :-
sda1 30G ntfs bootable with WinXP
sda2 107G fat32 for misc files available to Puppy & WinXP
sda3 11G ext2 for frugal pup430
sda4 700M Linux-swap

Video resolution is 1440x900 pixels and it has a built-in microphone but no web-cam.
It has 4 USB2 connectors and a CDRW/DVDR optical drive.

Virtually all Slacko55 worked out of the box; Barry's Simple Network setup used the Broadcom B43 driver for the BCM4311 802.11a/b/g wireless card. Screen-brightness buttons & vol-up/dwn/mute buttons all work.
Libreoffice4 and Gimp282 sfs pks are excellent. Firefox works well & fast - I reduced the cache to 20Mb to avoid filling the savefile.
The CPU freq scaling keeps the laptop nice and cool. The Sleep & Hibernate modes work & I can just close the lid & resume next day.
CUPS detected and printed with my Canon S520 colour printer via parallel and USB cables.

Slacko55PAE is a fast and reliable system on this laptop.

The Dell-630 replaces my old Dell-610 which recently lost its power supply (symptoms were vanishing desktop usb-drive icons); at $180 the refurbished 630 (with docking station) cost less than the repair estimate for the 610.
Attachments
dell630.png
Gparted shot of the Dell-630 drive partitions
(40.57 KiB) Downloaded 1967 times
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

don570

#272 Post by don570 »

You can upgrade to gimp 284 using Slacko 5.5

http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... c2713d2b69

Pelo

Medion Akoya P7624 Puppies 5XXX OK

#273 Post by Pelo »

Medion Akoya P7624 Puppies 5XXX OK
Harder with series 4XXXX because of lack of updated firmware and drivers,
Medion is sold in low cost shops (ALDI in France)
-PCI Devices-
Host bridge : Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Communication controller : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
USB Controller : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Audio device : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
USB Controller : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
ISA bridge : Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
SATA controller : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
SMBus : Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation Device 0de9 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Network controller : Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (rev 34)
Ethernet controller : Atheros Communications AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
USB Controller : Texas Instruments Device 8241 (rev 02) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#274 Post by DaveS »

Acer Aspire V5 Core i3. Clickpad took a little setting up, otherwise runs Slacko like a dream. So fast I now run it from a USB instead of the hard drive. Hard drive has W8 but I dont know if it works as I have never booted it
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

grump

#275 Post by grump »

I have retired the Toshiba A200 as it was getting noisy and I was worried it might fail altogether. I bought a HP Pavilion (dm1 4108au) laptop a few months ago as a modest replacement. briefly the specs are:

cpu : AMD E-450
graphics : AMD Radeon HD 6320
wifi : Broadcom (can't remember which one but it is troublesome for puppy)
sound : (see note below)
4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, no built in optical drive (but I have an external one)

I have tried 3 or 4 puppies on this - mainly Slacko until recently. I always set up the newest versions as they became available. I have also tried the 64bit pups, and found Fatdog64 easier to manage. I could not get everything to work in Lighthouse64. I now have Precise 5.6.1 as my regular puppy.

None of these puppies work perfectly straight off, and I'll explain what I did (afair) to get everything working.

In all cases the wifi needs the Broadcom wl driver - there are plenty of posts here describing the method of getting it to work. I think I used a 'Puppy Network Wizard' and then went through the 'Load Module' button, blacklisted the default module and loaded the wl module, and all was well after that. Sounds simple, but it took quite a bit of trial and error to sort it out.

Likewise with the sound:

The Multiple Sound Card Wizard finds two cards, and picks the first one (generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0...), which does not work. The second card ( SB(HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAX92xx Analogue ...) seems to be the one to pick. In the Retrovol Configuration app (Right-click on the speaker button in the right hand tray, the pick 'Config Window') I changed the Sound Card to hw:1 and then all the appropriate choices for sliders appeared, and all was good, again, after quite a bit of fiddling around.

I run puppy as a live system off a usb stick with the save file on the HDD. To get it to work like this edit syslinux.cfg on the usb: change pmedia=usbflash to pmedia=cd

Hope this helps others trying to use puppy on this nice inexpensive little laptop.

btw puppy mounts 3 hidden partitions holding recovery stuff and windows drivers etc
Attachments
partitions.png
Mounted partitions
(43.08 KiB) Downloaded 1917 times
capture27596.png
Sound card configuration
(25.71 KiB) Downloaded 1893 times