Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 19:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 11:19    Post subject:  

Its birthday time - 1 year with pUPnGO today...

Reported downloads the last 5 days of pUPnGO_V412_041210.iso is close to 1200! I do not know if this is an error, friendly or hostile activity but I doubt it represent a major increased demand for pUPnGO in the world.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the response and inputs during this first important year of living!
Kim
baby-tux.png
 Description   
 Filesize   41.4 KB
 Viewed   1265 Time(s)

baby-tux.png

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 12:21    Post subject: happy birthday!  

Well, Happy Birthday!

You're doing something right here, so thanks and keep up the good work. Very Happy Thanks to the contributors, too.

goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:20    Post subject:  

dosbox in pupngo...
Puppyt has in his thread "Install basic Puppy on a computer with 16 Mb RAM" some thoughts about using linux+dosbox and if there are any advantage above running pure dos on ancient hardware. Guess the right answer is no.
Anyway it got me thinking on all those genius games I used to play in dos and I found a collection on a forgotten part of my hd (remember names like 7CITIES, BI2, DOTT, Tycoon, UFO, Dune, Warlord2?). Used Patriots dosbox , added some alsa-stuff and a few missing libs, created a sfs-file that loaded fine after boot in pUPnGO. Started out with 24Mb in qemu - dosbox runs - but get killed when trying to run old dos game Warlord2. Second went up to 64Mb - same story. At 128Mb ram the game runs - slow - but that might be emulator qemu emulating dos..
So I guess dosbox is a hungry fellow and its better to use pure dos for those old dos-games.
pupngo_dosbox_warlord2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   230.45 KB
 Viewed   1106 Time(s)

pupngo_dosbox_warlord2.png

starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan 2011, 18:31    Post subject:  

Nice little distro, here. Better (and smarter!) than a teacup poodle, if I may say so myself Very Happy FWIW, I was using pUPnGO v412 (the ~28MB ver)

Two questions:

(1) How hard would it be to stuff in arachne (browser), Siag Office, and something to connect to a wireless network*?
(2) About what would you say the absolute minimum requirements would be for running pUPnGO with those added in?

*I'd need something that is compatible with the p54usb driver in order to get WiFi. Unless someone wants to send me a low-profile PCI Wi-Fi card... I don't have the $$$ to buy one myself Sad

Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan 2011, 22:42    Post subject:  

goingnuts -
I really appreciate you looking into that DOS issue further for me and like-minded stargazers. (Poor devils.) I think I remember a discussion somewheres on the forum (with notables like Bruce_B, and Sage) yonks ago, and DMcCunney discussed it further in the "Introducing PULP" thread about the integration of DOS and Linux, and the futility thereof. Thanks for updating the issue - sorry that the result was negative.
I won't muddy the investigation by suggesting Dosemu - you've already considered that issue re Patriot's thread which contrasts the costs and benefits of the 'latest' DOSbox and Dosemu. Nor would I seriously suggest turning the approach inside-out with a pUPnGO4DOS - you've already stated that the purpose here is not about producing a lite Puppy distro when other, lager puplets could serve that role already. Besides, it looks like an uncomfortable mouthful.
I wonder however whether there might be performance differences if pUPnGO was mounted on a ext2-, NTFS- or FAT (possible?)- formatted drive? Please forgive me if such 'foundation' issues have already been debated here or elsewhere,

And a much-belated Happy Birthday, pUPnGO! Loved working with it's GUI and text-browser in 412_041210.iso on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS with 32 MB RAM. Little discoveries on how to do things everywhere - just like my very first experiment with Puppy! Puppy love all over. Keep up the good work!

goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 15:00    Post subject:  

starhawk: For arachne you need to get libvga running in console - I havent been able to yet. Alternative is Dillo - I think Technosaurous did a static build posted in this thread.
For Siag Office start with sc0ttman´s pet and add libs missing in pUPnGO (libcrypt, libnsl, libICE, libSM, libXmu, libXt) and add font helvR12-ISO8859-1 and update fonts.dir. You will end up with a sfs approx 2,5Kb in total - definitely an impressive suite of office-programs with a small foot-print!
For wireless try WarMocK´s CLI-net and add up with all the stuff this script ask for of additional binaries and scripts. And somewhere in this forum there is a p54usb-driver for P412 that might work for you.

Cant estimate the total resources needed for this - siag needs more that 20Mb but runs ok at 32Mb in pUPnGO...

Puppyt: I did not have the guts to start messing with dosemu although somewhere in the bl3-repo a static build of dosemu is mentioned (but I found no download). Might be that dosemu is less ram-demanding and also able to run outside X. But in the end - if a dos-environment fulfill your needs I would stick with that.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 18:13    Post subject:  

goingnuts,

Do you have plans or tips to make otf-sfs-loader check the free space (or even just total size) of the save file, before loading sfs files?

technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 20:53    Post subject:  

I built an older gtk1 copy of SciTE (scintilla text editor) - It uses the same code base as geany, so you get some nice things like text highlighting and code folding (I won't use a text editor that doesn't fold - it is really handy for navigating large code)

dependencies are gtk1 and libstdc++

Edit: The area to the right is a minimal, text-only (no curses etc...) terminal emulator
scite-gtk12.pet
Description  v152
pet

Download 
Filename  scite-gtk12.pet 
Filesize  347.08 KB 
Downloaded  221 Time(s) 
SciTE.png
 Description   
 Filesize   21.36 KB
 Viewed   1061 Time(s)

SciTE.png

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011, 22:51    Post subject:  

Pardon me for being (what I feel is) deplorably stupid, but *which* versions of those libs will I need for Siag Office...?

And where should I look for that font?

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 01:51    Post subject:  

starhawk:pUPnGO is P412 based so version from P412. Fonts are in /usr/share/fonts.... and /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts...

sc0ttman: No - I think I get your point...but please expand the reason for your question. Std P412 do not check for free space in savefile before loading sfs-files at boot as far as I know only limit the number of sfs-files you can use. If otf should check before loading what size should be used?
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 02:52    Post subject:  

Two more questions (sorry!) --

(1) How about an email client (or is there one in Dillo? I can't remember...)?

(2) I've been trying to run pUPnGO on a K6-233MHz CPU and it won't run... thread here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64224

Should be OK on my own after this... will post again if I have troubles.

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 03:33    Post subject:  

starhawk: Try booting standard P412 - is that possible? Despite your low ram you should be able to get kernel running. pUPnGo have standard P412 kernel recompiled for size and activation of framebuffer as the only difference.
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 03:42    Post subject:  

I haven't tried passing "puppy pfix=ram" yet; lemme do that real quick and see if that doesn't fix it.

I'll try Puppy 412-retro (same kernel) in the morning. Just downloaded it but it's like 2:45 here in NC and I need bed >.<

starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 04:12    Post subject:  

No joy. I think it has something to do with the mobo's built in graphics.

Gee, I wonder if I could get my ATi RAGE 32 (might be the Pro ver) to work with this... oh, wait, it's ISA. Nevermind...

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011, 15:07    Post subject:  

After all the reports on running on real hardware I got curios: Found a PII 400Mhz/32MB RAM box and after changing defective RAM and net card booted pUPnGO from CD. No problems - boot time approx. 15 sec. into GUI after install, configuration and install of SP1,2 and 3. After days of developing and testing in qemu (which is quick with pUPnGO) really impressive if I my self must say so...
Still need to assembly an AMD K6 box and test it as well though....
Page 17 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: