pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#691 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:I don't know how far back it goes, but I know there was some kind of major rox fix to speed it up that involved creating a file/folder/variable.
I recall amigo made a comment about hostname in this topic about rox speed:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=34
How does pUPnGO handle hostname? Could that be an issue?

goingnuts

#692 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Thanks for the pointer. Adapted the modified hostname handling but with no luck.

After some tracking of what is going on it seems that as spot I run into this message from ROX:
"Existing ROX-Filer process is not responding! Try with -n"
which is spawn in ROX source-file "remoce.c" (origin from function "remote_init" which does include some hostname lookup).
The call (as spot) for "SetIcon" (in functions4puppy4) seems to run ok (no errors reported) but icon does not change. If I follow the request for "SetIcon" with a request for update (rox -x ${HOME}/.pup_event/drive_${1}) - in the functions4puppy4 script - I get the above error...

If I ask for the update (as spot) from rxvt command line it happens instantly. If I refresh the file view in /home/spot/.pup_event-folder it change the icon in the folder but icon on desktop is first changed when I move my mouse over the icon.

I am sure there is a single sign or two in some files that just has to be changed - its just how to find it....

As root it is fast changing and no problems at all.

technosaurus

#693 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:After some tracking of what is going on it seems that as spot I run into this message from ROX:
"Existing ROX-Filer process is not responding! Try with -n"
which is spawn in ROX source-file "remoce.c" (origin from function "remote_init" which does include some hostname lookup).
The call (as spot) for "SetIcon" (in functions4puppy4) seems to run ok (no errors reported) but icon does not change. If I follow the request for "SetIcon" with a request for update (rox -x ${HOME}/.pup_event/drive_${1}) - in the functions4puppy4 script - I get the above error...

If I ask for the update (as spot) from rxvt command line it happens instantly. If I refresh the file view in /home/spot/.pup_event-folder it change the icon in the folder but icon on desktop is first changed when I move my mouse over the icon.

I am sure there is a single sign or two in some files that just has to be changed - its just how to find it....

As root it is fast changing and no problems at all.
I think rox uses sockets for its IPC and may have some assumptions as to not changing the user without restarting rox (for most distros this is true - spot is a hack in reverse polish notation)
that message sounds like one of the following IPC related issues:
incorrect permissions to access socket/pipe (file permission issue)
using the user name to find $HOME and expecting a file and/or directory structure to be there _and_ be the expected file/permissions/etc...
made up examples
/root/.rox-socket != /root/spot/.rox-socket
/root/spot/.config/... does not exist
looking for /tmp/rox478578-spot, but the actual is /tmp/rox478578-root
(It has been too long since I examined the IPC code, but that was the general idea)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#694 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: Thanks - you are probably very right. I have tried to create spot as a real user with HOME in /home/spot where spot owns everything etc. I think I will let the ROX desktop-icon-change for spot rest for a while - might change other things that fix it :?

Just an other observation: When ROX is told to update the icon blinky is showing activity...

Ibidem

#695 Post by Ibidem »

goingnuts wrote:Uploaded below my present source of tinyXlib. From Changelog:
20120719: Changed ICElib to include transport to make ROX-Filer compile.
20120916: Added GetFPath.c to get Abiword 1.0.7 compile. Added X11/Xmu/Misc.h for XawM-1.5u.
20121002: Added ListExt.c and QuBest.c to X11 for xdpyinfo
20121011: Changed libXt source and include/X11/Intrinsic.h to test if Xaw can be compiled. Added GetDflt.c to tinyX11 and added -DXOS_USE_MTSAFE_PWDAPI to tinyXll make flags
Removed file Copying as well.
I have not tested the libXaw much but at least it compiled the attached xload - which is using approx 700k when running compared to the dynamic linked xload which uses approx 3400k...
I managed to build this with musl, though it took a couple trivial changes:
1- The error messages were getting lost because it ignored failed compiles in subdirectories.
This can be fixed one of two ways:
remove the "; cd .." (safe because each line is in a subshell, so it doesn't change the directory where the next line is)
OR, change all of this to make <target> -C <dirname>
I used

Code: Select all

sed 's/cd \(.*\); \(make.*\);.*/\2 -C \1/g' -i Makefile
2- I deleted -I/usr/include (it can only work when you have a libc that's fully header-compatible with your primary one), which made this start to compile.

3- In libXaw/OS.c, I changed <asm/page.h> to <limits.h>, which defines PAGE_SIZE.

Also, it seems that libXdmcp.so is not being rm'd on make clean.
All told however, much easier to build than the old version with shell build scripts...

Is the tinyXserver-0.01 tarball source for the kdrive servers?

goingnuts

#696 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: Thanks for testing and reporting! I have adapted your changes although I do not understand your comment on removing "-I/usr/include": Is that the headerinstall from makefile in /include directory?

Seems that uclibc also build Xaw with the change to <limits.h>. libXaw has some "flaws" when used - mainly errors like:
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: Kanji
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>Kanji:reconnect-im()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: Input Method Open Failed
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
and the resulting window misses text in buttons.

Further changes/additions has been made:
20121013: Changed all makefiles to create shared libs as well
20121024: Added OCWrap.c and SetLocale.c to get musl/gtk/debug going (?) not quite...
20121028: Added libXmuu to be able to compile xprop
20121118: Added libXfixes to be able to comple xrdp
20121123: Added ReconfWM.c to tinyX11 to be able to compile rdesktop 1.6.0
20121126: Added libXss...
20121201: Addec QuCurShp.c to libX11 to be able to compile tightvnc
20121203: Added libXcursor to be able to compile xsetroot...small patch to avoid animated cursor.
I have started to see if I could generate the pkgconfig Xxxx.pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig to ease some automatic builds but haven't finalized that.

Let me know if you would like a fresh copy.

The tinyXserver-0.01 is the source for Xfbdev & Xvesa. I also made some changes for that so again if you want the updated source I will post it.

Did you go further with a build of gtk-libs and applications based on the tinyXlibs?

Update 20121216: Revised the source of libXaw and now it seems to get things right - attached image of static xmessage running - but also xload works fine.
Attachments
snap0001.png
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 1020 times

Ibidem

#697 Post by Ibidem »

goingnuts wrote:Ibidem: Thanks for testing and reporting! I have adapted your changes although I do not understand your comment on removing "-I/usr/include": Is that the headerinstall from makefile in /include directory?

Seems that uclibc also build Xaw with the change to <limits.h>. libXaw has some "flaws" when used - mainly errors like:
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: Kanji
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>Kanji:reconnect-im()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: Input Method Open Failed
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
and the resulting window misses text in buttons.

Further changes/additions has been made:
20121013: Changed all makefiles to create shared libs as well
20121024: Added OCWrap.c and SetLocale.c to get musl/gtk/debug going (?) not quite...
20121028: Added libXmuu to be able to compile xprop
20121118: Added libXfixes to be able to comple xrdp
20121123: Added ReconfWM.c to tinyX11 to be able to compile rdesktop 1.6.0
20121126: Added libXss...
20121201: Addec QuCurShp.c to libX11 to be able to compile tightvnc
20121203: Added libXcursor to be able to compile xsetroot...small patch to avoid animated cursor.
I have started to see if I could generate the pkgconfig Xxxx.pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig to ease some automatic builds but haven't finalized that.

Let me know if you would like a fresh copy.

The tinyXserver-0.01 is the source for Xfbdev & Xvesa. I also made some changes for that so again if you want the updated source I will post it.

Did you go further with a build of gtk-libs and applications based on the tinyXlibs?
1. I'm referring to the -I/usr/include COMPFLAGS in standard_definitions.mk, which forces the use of the primary system headers (ie, glibc)
2. The LOCALE issue I don't know about, though I've seen it before in a minimal Xorg build...
3. I thought there was some sort of libXmuu symlinking in the old tinyXlib...
4. A newer version of both would be nice.
BTW, I'm thinking it would be nice to see about installing to an alternate prefix.

goingnuts

#698 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks for pointing at the /usr/include - I compile in a chroot-environment so I have no normal libs sneaking in. And yes - in earlier versions the Xmuu was included but I stripped it out as no one seems to need it (until xprop). Installing to an alternative location should already be possible by setting the LIBDIR but I have now included a PREDIR variable specific for that. Some pkgconfig files are now generated as well. I have tested build of various gtk1.2 applications as well as normal X-apps like xcalc, xeyes, xmessage, rdesktop and xwininfo. Everything seems to work (with uclibc).
Also tested the build with musl and it seems to go ok - but haven't made applications with it.
20130513: Removed attachment as forum does not support the size anymore
Last edited by goingnuts on Mon 13 May 2013, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#699 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I created a .pet for pupngo which contains the GUI from Tinycore 4.7.1a. I would like to upload it soon, but I have not fully tested it yet.

bark_bark_bark

#700 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I fixed the Tinycore and converted it to sfs3 format for pupngo to use.

goingnuts

#701 Post by goingnuts »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I fixed the Tinycore and converted it to sfs3 format for pupngo to use.
Good! Looking forward to test (if you plan to release it.)

bark_bark_bark

#702 Post by bark_bark_bark »

1 problem, I have to start over. Why? I damaged the win partition that had the custom pupngo iso image with the new tc. Also the Xserver never fully loaded when doing xwin. Still needs work.

goingnuts

#703 Post by goingnuts »

As there are pupngo all over the place anyway I take the opportunity to post an update of the tiny Xvesa source. Now it can be build with 13 extensions (DEC-XTRAP, DPMS, MIT-SCREEN-SAVER, MIT-SHM, RANDR, RECORD, RENDER, SHAPE, SYNC, TOG-CUP, XC-MISC, XTEST and XVideo) but that seems also to be more or less what this source can deliver without some severe code-additions (well - source for XINPUT & XKB is still partly present but question is if its worth fixing).
Without extensions Xvesa builds to 543K and with all the extensions it sums up to 728K static with uclibc & tinyX11 (Xfbdev being approx. 16K smaller).
As some additional code has been added I moved the version to 0.02 :)
20130513: Removed attachment as forum does not support the size anymore
Last edited by goingnuts on Mon 13 May 2013, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#704 Post by starhawk »

I don't see that source, or a link to it ;)

Just sayin'...

EDIT: nevermind, I see it now.

Jan99

pUPnGO

#705 Post by Jan99 »

Hello,

I have installed pUPnGo _v412_160612 frugal to my harddisk.
As far as I have tested it runs well expect for the cryptoloop aes & blowfish.

I usualy use an heavy encrypted save file (aes) puppysave file.
The option to create one at shutdown is there but the created file can not be mounted (both heavy & light encryption).

From terminal I see the following:
# mount -o encryption=aes test ~/cmnt
Unsupported encryption type aes
# mount -o encryption=blowfish test ~/cmnt
Unsupported encryption type blowfish
# mount -o encryption=xor test ~/cmnt
Password:

Can someone please correct this bug?

goingnuts

#706 Post by goingnuts »

Jan99: Thanks for reporting this severe bug! It should be fixed now.

starhawk

#707 Post by starhawk »

@Jan99: FYI, see here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 823#675823

Hope that's helpful ;)

Jan99

pUPnGO

#708 Post by Jan99 »

@starhawk,

I had already seen that Thanks anyway.

There should be my bug report in the first place sorry for posting it here.

Yes now encrypted save file is working perfectly.

goingnuts

#709 Post by goingnuts »

I have been messing with XFree86 4.8.0 and created a static build of XFree86 which holds a lot of drivers for various graphic cards. Attached a build with mesa and glx. The install is a bit tricky as not much in pupngo/puppy is targeted XFree86:
Install the package
Delete your present X symlink (rm -f /usr/X11R7/bin/X)
Symlink XFree86 to X (cd /usr/X11R7/bin; ln -s Xfree86 X)
Now exit to prompt
run 'XFree86 -configure'
Copy the generated /root/XF86Config.new to /etc/X11 (cp /root/XF86Config.new /etc/X11)
start X with xinit

You should now be running XFree86.
It quite big (>3MB upx-ed, > 8Mb uncompressed) but delivers the following extensions:
BIG-REQUESTS
DEC-XTRAP
DPMS
FontCache
GLX
LBX
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SGI-GLX
SHAPE
SYNC
TOG-CUP
X-Resource
XC-MISC
XFree86-Bigfont
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-Misc
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
I do not know much about the configuring of XFree86 - but changing things in /etc/X11/XF86Config is the way to go.
I got my mouse scroll working with:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
ohh - and the download link :)

technosaurus

#710 Post by technosaurus »

I previously mentioned mupdf's thirdparty archive has minimal (read-only) configurations of freetype, jpeg, openjpeg, zlib and jbig2 (the config files are in mupdf's scripts directory)

I just wanted to add that libpng similarly has a lot of user configurable parameters but no preexisting build actually builds the library, but inside the contrib subdirectory, they do have a shortcut to making a read-only png library (useful for everything except image editors)

I can put these together to use in the libtiny package (probably could drop the X11) if others are interested... probably shift to musl as well as the 0.9.9 release seems to build quite nicely

does anyone have input on a C++ library? uclibc++ seems to work ok with musl, but the ustl project looks promising

btw, I started working on this in light of jwm's recent support for svg images via librsvg, but am trying to port it to use libsvg or libtinysvg instead to avoid the cairo dependency (I decided on libsvg because libtinysvg doesn't support embedded png/jpeg images AFAIK)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].