pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Keef

#796 Post by Keef »

xfast has been abandoned, but it will build on puppy. Got it running on 214R some time back. Didn't know what to do with it, so got bored and moved on....

EDIT Just realised I had found the old tarball and recompiled it a few months ago. Here it is running under X on Slacko:
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-12-09_185215.png
(164.06 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

goingnuts

#797 Post by goingnuts »

Keef: And how do you run it under X? I can get it running by doing the startxfast at a prompt without X running...but trying to run desktop within X gives me

Code: Select all

[0xB7CBD6C0] FATAL : CLIENT :: Cannot connect to server [s_window_init (window.c:161)]
Does everything work (menu-items/items at desktop)?

technosaurus

#798 Post by technosaurus »

I'm much more inclined to use xynth than xfast... I hate when people fork a mature project and put a more restrictive license on it (and it is hard to see what it is that xfast adds). That being said xsynth has a lot of the stuff we want ... including a glade-like xml interface (even has javascript bindings ... fyi the last C-only spidermonkey is only about half a mb). I really like the fact that it _can_ be a multicall binary and supports other platforms
latest source for xsynth is here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/xynth/code/HEAD/tarball
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Keef

#799 Post by Keef »

goingnuts

I used SDL as the driver, maybe that did it. This used to be a pain to compile on 214R and 3.01 - needed a load of lrmi stuff, and had to disable some of the demos to get it to work.
A lot of those icons are for show, but the demo ones work (although slow to start on my machine).
'Load' and 'Terminal' work, and run from the menu too.

May not be of much use, but there is also Winnie
https://github.com/hikiko/winnie/tree/w ... as-plugins
I think it was just a college project, so is not being developed (at the moment). Only has a few demos and is a bit flaky for me.
On Slacko I had to boot with

vga=791 i915.modeset=0
Not very exciting, but I get pleased with myself if I get these things to run...

goingnuts

#800 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: Thanks for the link!
Keef: That helped - thanks! Changed to xynth though - as recommend by technosaurus. Will look at Winnie - thanks for telling.
(...) I get pleased with myself if I get these things to run...
Me too.

Kind of puzzled in terms on what to think of xfast/xynth - seems slow on the desktop - but also with a potential - I think...

goingnuts

#801 Post by goingnuts »

I have used foremost to scan my /dev/sdc4 partition which is partly a former XP ntfs partition. The partition is ext3 now. The partition is filled 90% with new files added after the partition was made. Still foremost found over 5000 (!) jpg-files where some of them are (I am almost sure...) from the previous ntfs partition.

Various ways to wipe "empty space" are described here and there. One is to use "sfill" ...did not work...foremost find all files after "sfill"...

Another way is to use dd to fill the partition:

dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.small.file bs=1024 count=102400
 dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.file bs=1024
(check with df that it is actually filled 100% - otherwise repeat second command changing filename - until df reports 100%)

Now partition should be fully rewritten upon and the generated files can be deleted.

BUT: Still foremost find all the files...

How can one get rid of them and having foremost find nothing?

I would like to include a privacy checking app in pupngo to verify that empty disk space is...empty. And at the same time have an undelete app as well...for the last purpose foremost seems quite effective.

technosaurus

#802 Post by technosaurus »

cat /dev/zero >junkfile_on_partition
rm junkfile_on_partition
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#803 Post by goingnuts »

Unfortunately same effect as using dd - files still found.

PANZERKOPF

#804 Post by PANZERKOPF »

goingnuts wrote:Unfortunately same effect as using dd - files still found.
You can erase whole drive using an internal function of ATA HDD. :)
SUUM CUIQUE.

technosaurus

#805 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:Unfortunately same effect as using dd - files still found.
you likely have a fragmented drive... if your filesystem has a defragment utility, do that first.

of course if you want to zero the whole drive you can just use /dev/sda (or b,c,.. or sda1 for just the partition) as the output file. ... and to meet certain standards, this should be alternated with /dev/random 7+ times.

PANZERKOPF

#806 Post by PANZERKOPF »

technosaurus wrote: of course if you want to zero the whole drive you can just use /dev/sda (or b,c,.. or sda1 for just the partition) as the output file. ... and to meet certain standards, this should be alternated with /dev/random 7+ times.
If you want to erase the whole drive, mentioned above internal security function is fastest, because no I/O between drive and host. A drive erases itself using functions of internal firmware. In Linux world this possibly can be done with hdparm, although there are other special programs for working with HDDs.
SUUM CUIQUE.

amigo

#807 Post by amigo »

You need to use dban or something of that caliber. The data has to be overwritten multiple times to make it really disappear.

goingnuts

#808 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks technosaurus & PANZERKOPF! I don't want to wipe entire drive. I want to be sure no traces left of deleted files in free space on the partition keeping what is there. Foremost finds a lot.

As for fragmentation fsck -nvf /dev/sdc4 reports 103454 non-contiguous inodes (6.4%) so fragmentation is there. Partition is 90% filled. So how do I defrag?
Found e2defrag (view image below of it running) and tried to run it with switch -r (read only) - I am a chicken. But would hate to loose over 30 Gb sources, build scripts, patches and various tool chains. Which remind me that I should backup some of those things soon...
But after crunching for some time (10 min?) e2defrag actually simulate a relocation which goes quite fast (1 min?). Might try to clone the drive and do a test on the clone with e2defrag.

For the adventurous reader - NO CLAIMS ACCEPTED! - I have attached a static build of e2defrag. And you can get foremost here

Amigo: I will try that as well - thanks.

Never thought I should on this journey just to wipe free space on a partition...
Attachments
snap0003.png
e2defrag defragmenting
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
e2defrag-0.81.pet
(102.28 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
snap0002.png
(23.14 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

Ibidem

#809 Post by Ibidem »

goingnuts wrote:I have used foremost to scan my /dev/sdc4 partition which is partly a former XP ntfs partition. The partition is ext3 now. The partition is filled 90% with new files added after the partition was made. Still foremost found over 5000 (!) jpg-files where some of them are (I am almost sure...) from the previous ntfs partition.
1. What mount options? (Is it full-journalling?)
2. What's on the drive? sources?

If it's mounted on /mnt/sdc4, try this:

find -iname '*.jpg' -o -iname '*.jpeg' /mnt/sdc4|wc -l

goingnuts

#810 Post by goingnuts »

From dmesg:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sdc4, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

# find /mnt/sdc4 -iname *.jpg -o -iname *.jpeg |wc -l
and foremost running on unmounted sdc4:

Foremost started at Thu Dec 12 05:35:32 2013
Invocation: foremost -v -T -t jpg /dev/sdc4 
1512 FILES EXTRACTED

jpg:= 1512
Drive holds mostly source packages, unpacked/packed. Quite a lot of deletion and unpacking/compiling/packaging is done on an everyday basis...

The jpg´s found - are lots of small icon-images, background-images where some seems to come from webpages or manpages...

amigo

#811 Post by amigo »

Yes, be very careful with e2defrag as it is very old. Don't use it on anything you don't have a copy of elsewhere.

Somewhere here I have a gtk1 app which shows the fragmentation status of a drive or file -but I don't find it right now -something with 'dav' in the name IIRC. Ahh, here it is, but it's not on my site davl it's called:
http://davl.sourceforge.net/

goingnuts

#812 Post by goingnuts »

e2defrag is maintained - cant say its safe - but seems quite up to date.
Thanks for the gdavl-link - cool!
Attachments
snap0005.png
(114.37 KiB) Downloaded 878 times

amigo

#813 Post by amigo »

He, He, that davl really reminds of the windows tool for that. Ummm, are you gonna patch it so that it uses e2defrag to actually do a defrag instead of just showing fragmentation??? Yeah, Yeah, Yeah?? Just kidding, but I think I read you okay -most of the time.

Nice find there about e2defrag. from the website:
This poor ancient package used to be known as the defrag packge but was removed from Debian and hence Ubuntu due to it not having had a maintainer in many years and suffering from bit rot. I am rescuing it from the bit bucket.
Very nice indeed.
There is also e4defrag included with e2fsprogs, but nothing for ext3. I still use ext3 for my daily use as ext4 still 'hits a bump' every now and then.

Ibidem

#814 Post by Ibidem »

goingnuts wrote:From dmesg:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sdc4, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

# find /mnt/sdc4 -iname *.jpg -o -iname *.jpeg |wc -l
and foremost running on unmounted sdc4:

Foremost started at Thu Dec 12 05:35:32 2013
Invocation: foremost -v -T -t jpg /dev/sdc4 
1512 FILES EXTRACTED

jpg:= 1512
Drive holds mostly source packages, unpacked/packed. Quite a lot of deletion and unpacking/compiling/packaging is done on an everyday basis...

The jpg´s found - are lots of small icon-images, background-images where some seems to come from webpages or manpages...
That's about 300 (or 20%) that aren't from jpg files.
data=ordered appears to not result in the file contents getting saved in the journal...as far as I can tell.
I'd say that's reasonable....

goingnuts

#815 Post by goingnuts »

amigo: :)
Ibidem: I don't catch your point: "find" finds files not deleted, foremost finds deleted files...

To speed up testing and avoid using drive with precious content I created a smaller (6Gb) partition by resizing 2 ntfs - and then create the new in between with gparted.

To start out its ext2.

# find /mnt/sdc9 -iname *.jpg -o -iname *.jpeg | wc -l
Then I run foremost on unmounted partition

# foremost -v -T -w -t jpg /dev/sdc9
526 FILES EXTRACTED

jpg:= 526
So jpg-left overs from the ntfs can be found...
Now I try to wipe with

dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.small.file bs=1024 count=102400
dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.file bs=1024
df reports

/dev/sdc9              6048132   6048132         0 100% /mnt/sdc9
I let the files stay and umount partition. So now I expect to find nothing there with foremost (drive is full):

0 FILES EXTRACTED
:)
Then I delete the two files created with dd and run foremost again and

0 FILES EXTRACTED
Good! This is the expected behavior - now I need to verify that if the drive is fragmented the above wont wipe free space...later today...