Quirky 005 Feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

Hi

I had no probs with mplayer in pupRadio/Telly.

BTW Barry, it's up to version 0.5 now. (pupRadio)

This is a nice quirky and I'm on the old r31 thinkpad, 1066 celeron, 512 ram, intel 8M graphics, no swap. Very fast.

3G Virgin modem connected easy, but needed '-chap' option in /etc/ppp/options. This machine has an onboard modem too.

Sound fine, ootb, flash fine too. Did have mplayer menu problem reported by tronkel.

Thanks.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy wrote:- mplayer lacks the much needed gl2 output. Users with ATI cards (using the proprietary ATI driver) will suffer from washed out colors and tearing if they use Xv. The gl2 output works perfectly for them.

- mplayer doesn't have repeat / loop playback.

- Is there any way to prevent Ogle from taking over the place of MPlayer as the defaultmediaplayer when a normal DATA DVD disc is inserted in /mnt/sr0 ?

If I have a DVD with HD (.mp4/.mkv) movie clips and click on the 'PLAY' icon on the desktop, Quirky should start MPlayer, not Ogle.
have you tested that mplayer does actually play the DVD?

I configured mplayer (prior to compiling) without DVD support, so I'm not sure it will play DVDs at all. If you report that it won't, then I will have to re-examine the configure and try another compile.

What does Ogle do in this situation?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Barry,

That fixed mplayer menu entry perfectly.

Cheers

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy wrote:Is there a MESA (OpenGL) .PET package for Quirky-005?
I can't continue testing Quirky without this package.
There is a T2 .tar.bz2 package, but it isn't cutdown at all -- has all the docs for example.

You need to go into the Configure in the Puppy package Manager and choose the 't2-8.0rc-official' repository. Then choose it by clicking the appropriate tab at top of window, then do a search for "mesa".

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:Had to change to the internal sound card using the ALSA sound wizard (I also have a PCI sound card that I am not connected to)

Clicked on BBC news that plays OK in browser
ASF - no
mp4 - no full screen, no sound, small pics looks good
wmv - small image, no sound, no full screen
vob - small image, no sound no full screen

:)
The inability to do full-screen is one of the limitations of the Xorg 'vesa' driver. This applies to both mplayer and ogle.

As you have Nvidia hardware, you need to use the 'nv' driver to be able to get full-screen.

Quirky 005 also has the 'nouveau' driver, that you should test. It didn't work for me. I do hope to have more success with the nouveau driver when I upgrade to the 2.6.33 kernel.

... note the Xorg Wizard now allows you to select vesa, nv or nouveau for testing.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:Had to change to the internal sound card using the ALSA sound wizard (I also have a PCI sound card that I am not connected to)

Clicked on BBC news that plays OK in browser
ASF - no
mp4 - no full screen, no sound, small pics looks good
wmv - small image, no sound, no full screen
vob - small image, no sound no full screen

:)
Regarding sound, the Adobe Flash plugin plays the BBC news.
The other files are being played by mplayer -- it seems that mplayer is not configured properly to output to your sound card -- maybe it's outputing to the wrong sound hardware.

panzerpuppy

#22 Post by panzerpuppy »

I've installed the MESA 7.6 .tar.gz package from the T2 repository, but it's not complete. It also needs the 'freeglut3' and 'mesa-demos' packages to get fully working OpenGL.

Now this is weird: PPM shows 'sysfiles-0000' as a dependency for the 'mesa 7.6' package.

Puppy testers beware! Installing 'sysfiles-0000' will mess up your Puppy installation. Stay away from that package - DON'T click on it :)

The latest stable version of mesa at the moment is 7.7 and 7.8 is just about to be released (the T2 mesa package is a bit old)

UPDATE: I downloaded the 'freeglut3' and 'mesa-demos' .tar.gz packages: glxinfo works now (DRI rendering enabled), but glxgears crashes with the following error message:

Code: Select all

# glxgears
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.
Looks like we need the latest MESA from GIT to get basic OpenGL support for ATI (Radeon) cards with Xorg 7.5
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 12:36, edited 10 times in total.
Turbopup Tech Support

aarf

#23 Post by aarf »

nooby wrote:Does this mean that q5 is better than both q3 and q4?

Pardon if I am very naive asking such question.

I have tested Q3 and that one worked rather well.
so if Q5 is better then that is very interesting.

are Q5 better than Puppeee 4.3.1? .
yes this is a very naive question. the name of the game is bandwidth burning. which ever linux distribution burns the most bandwidth wins the race. Barry is aiming for another bandwidth citation from the bandwidth police to add to his extensive collection, he along with other notable names in the linux family have major investment in shares in bandwidth related companies. just dont go asking these silly questions again or pizzaisgod will be ban you from murga-linux or what's worse he will relentlessly and heartlessly change your most cherished avatar. you have been warned.

bigpup

Quirky Is A Test

#24 Post by bigpup »

Quirky Is A Test Operating System.

Quirky is a TEST of new ways of doing things.
Each version is not an improvement of the last, but a different direction to take, with Puppy Linux.

USE IT ONLY TO HELP Barry Try New Ideas and Think Out Of The Box!!

Your feedback will let him know if he is going in the right direction.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

I did a frugal install of Quirky 005 on my P3 test box. PupRadio/PupTelly works fine, will play full screen with no problems.

I played wmv,flv and mp4 files in Mplayer, including fullscreen with no problems. Sound appears to be working correctly as well.

All settings were remembered on reboots so no real problems here yet..... :)

daftdog

#26 Post by daftdog »

Touchpad settings not working (liveCD, acer laptop, 2 years old).
Changed Tap setting in xorg.conf not working. Also touchpad scrolling not working (horiz and vert). These usually work in other Puppies.
"We are monkeys with money and guns." Tom Waits

BarryK
Puppy Master

#27 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Hi

I had no probs with mplayer in pupRadio/Telly.

BTW Barry, it's up to version 0.5 now. (pupRadio)
I have upgraded the PET package, so the next build of Quirky will have 0.5.

Note, as this will be a Quirky-specific package, and I seem to have settled on mplayer, I set the default in pupRadio to mplayer.
-- of course, you could have code that looks to see what is present and automatically chooses a default.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy wrote:Now this is weird: PPM shows 'sysfiles-0000' as a dependency for the 'mesa 7.6' package.

Puppy testers beware! Installing 'sysfiles-0000' will screw up your Puppy installation. Stay away from that package - DON'T click on it :)
Hmmm, the 'sysfiles' dependency wasn't supposed to show. I thought that I had fixed PPM to ignore that dependency, as Puppy already has the equivalent functionality. Ok, I'll take another look at it.

aarf

#29 Post by aarf »

WARNING WARNING WARING
QUIRKY HAS MOUNTED. QUIRKY HAS MOUNTED.
COUNT DOWN TO TAKE OFF WILL COMMENCE IN T- MINUS 3 HOURS.
ALL PERSONNEL TO DON SAFETY APPARATUS AND PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO LAUNCH STATIONS .
Attachments
quirky has mounted.jpg
(45.84 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times

upnorth

quirky-005

#30 Post by upnorth »

I just did frugal install, added htop, conky, dillo. When desktop appears, I'm only using 26meg res memory. Pretty impressive. I've got 256meg ram with 466mhz. Everything is pretty snappy.

I pasted the France24 mms stream url in pupradio/puptelly and it played well at full screen. I played a flash video in seamonkey and everthing worked well there too.

Great Work! :shock:

esmourguit

#31 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,

Just for information, in remasterpup2, it seems that the amount of free space does not appear.
Picture attached.

Cordialement ;)
Attachments
remasterpup2.jpg
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Quirky 005 also has the 'nouveau' driver, that you should test. It didn't work for me. I do hope to have more success with the nouveau driver when I upgrade to the 2.6.33 kernel.
Tried nv and nouveau again - no luck - only vesa worked
The last nvidia driver that worked for me (in 4.2 Puppy)
was this rather obscure one
NVIDIA-177.82-k2.6.25.16.pet
It did not work in Puppy 4.3.1
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Installed Q 005 as frugal on the wife's Compaq evo box, p4 1.8, 1gig ram, intel 64M graphics. Ok so far.

One problem, and this I experienced on different hardware but with the same model wireless usb dongle... (TP link, TL-WN321G.. ralink chipset), in all quirky's so far.

Proceeded with the network wizard, scanned network, entered essid and wep key, then it runs a test, the test takes too long indicating failure. Sure enough, no network. Tried again, same result. I ended up doing the same as I did with Q 003 and installed the latest Pwireless2 and I had no problems, straight online.

I have had no problems with the current Network Wizard in any other puppy.

panzerpuppy

#34 Post by panzerpuppy »

Another bug in Quirky-005

From xerrs.log and Xorg.0.log:

(WW) Warning, couldn't load module 'xtrap'
(EE) Failed to load module 'xtrap' - module does not exist
Turbopup Tech Support

tronkel

#35 Post by tronkel »

Problems with WLAN in Quirky 005.

Neither my Intel Classmate (original version), nor my WLAN Ralink USB card dongle will go online. The Asus eeepc which uses an ath5k module also will not connect.

The Ralink WLAN card in the Classmate, the stand-alone dongle plugged into the PC (both needing rt73usb) as well as the ath5k card in the Asus are all visible as wlan0. GPRS mobile broadband on the Asus eeepc 901 works OK though via the built-in Huawei 620 modem.

There therefore seems to be an encryption library(s) missing. Puppy 431 stable connects no problem.

I think there might be a link to (or a dotpet of) the relevant libraries available somewhere in the forum. Will have a look and get back if I find them.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer