Quirky 005 Feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
belinaro

#46 Post by belinaro »

hi Barry,

the last Quirky (005) doesnt have module saa7134 so I cant use TVTime to see television, Puppy and old Quirkies have it

please, help me ! :roll: :)

tronkel

#47 Post by tronkel »

Barry wrote:
That's interesting... would you mind trying one more thing. On a clean new boot (pfix=ram), install pwireless2 but don't use it. Go straight ahead and use the Network Wizard.
OK tried that. Couldn't find pwireless2 in the Quirky repo so I used Jemimah's pwireless2 beta. Installed that, didn't start it and went straight to network wizard. Same old problem - no joy. Then tried pwireless2 itself - it couldn't see any networks at all of any kind.

Then had a look at Just Gregs's postings - this helped, so well spotted Greg.

What he suggested is:

Start from a pristine live CD boot up. Go to network wizard and go only as far as scanning for visible networks and do no profile entry. Then shut down network wizard and start Quirky's Pwireless.

Pwireless then saw the interfaces and also succeeded in obtaining a lease via DHCP.

Where does that get us to with this problem though. Network wizard grabs the active connection but cannot get a lease via DHCP. Pwireless seems to be able to do that part.

It also looks as if Network Wizard also brings up wlan0 without having to use ifconfig from a shell.

Confused? LOL so am I - I'm off for a coffee to think further about this.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Denethor

#48 Post by Denethor »

because the icons of jvm have a black background?

JustGreg

#49 Post by JustGreg »

I was trying to test the 2goPC web camera with Quirky, I found that uvcvideo mdoule (needed) is not part of quirky. I decide to look for pet for uvcvideo using the pet package manager. I found that the Pet Package Manager could not be resize to allow one to see the packages due to 800 by 480 screen. This has happen before. I will search the forum for the fix. But, I thought I should mention the problem.

I checked my notes on Puppy. The problem was found with Puppy 4.1. The fix was called petget_fix.pet I can not seem to find it using either the forum search, puppy google search or google search. I did find it under my old Classmate files.

Good news and bad news, petget_fix.pet does eliminate the re-sizing problem of the Pet Package Manager. But, it changes the Manager so it does not list installed pets and eliminates the selection buton for quirky.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

rameshiyer

Quirky.05

#50 Post by rameshiyer »

First time, while booting after installation of Quirky 005.ISO. it says Kernel Panic. So installed again Quirky 005 after formating again . This times Quirky booted without any problem.In Quirky 005 Java Runtime is not working in Seamonkey, though the plugins shows Java Runtime. In the case of Google Chrome, Java Runtime working . However, it takes around 5 minutes to load. In earlier version Quirky.002.ISO, Java Runtime works great. Instantly loads java runs both Seamoney and Google Chrome. Now days, almost all sites having Java script. If java runtime is not working properly, Java site is not loading fully or Browser hangs. Please lookinto future versions.

Another issue, Mplayer fails to play DVD. Even if I managed to play some individual video files, the working is not smooth and no audio support. Please pay attention to it.

It is my long pending demand for modem driver 56K Conexant Internal driver is not considered till today. Please arrange in separate pet package if difficult to provide along with ISO.

I am happy to note that sound volume is improved considerably.

Formating ext4 is not possible through Gpart . So hence installed in Ext3. I don't know Ext4 is good ?

withoutpity

devx error while complie Nestopia 1.40

#51 Post by withoutpity »

Linking nst...
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.3.4/../../../../i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [nst] Error 1

[/img]
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(18.59 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times

bigpup

What do we give feedback on?

#52 Post by bigpup »

Barry,

I know that Quirky 005 is testing a bunch of new programs, for doing multimedia, in Puppy linux.

Is the multimedia part of Quirky 005 all that we should try to use and then tell you about any problems we are having?

rjbrewer

#53 Post by rjbrewer »

Quirky005 freezes at X when trying to boot on my Inspiron 700m,
intel855gme graphics.
Same thing happened with Quirky003; I think 004 booted okay.
Have tried cd, usb, and manual install.
It does boot on my Pavillion pc and Inspiron 4000 laptop.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Firefox

linux swap is missing?

#54 Post by Firefox »

I posted this on another page and redirected here -sorry.
In gparted formatted 13 Gb drive ext2, 250Mb swap partition, the swap comes up as unknown and locked, but it appears to
format it? though whether it recognises it and uses it is another matter
i did get a ze..0x... number on install screen.

from CD Bootup Quirky005
# free

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 449452 21140 238052 0 27620
Swap: 0 0 0
Total 449452 21140 238052
----------------------------
After full hd install quirky005 ext2 and swap partition 250 Mb.
# free
Mem: 449452 218108 231344 0 27952
Swap: 0 0 0
Total 449452 218108 231344
comes up unknown and locked.
------------------------------
After booting from installed quirky sda1
# free
Mem: 449452 67380 382072 0 424
Swap: 257032 0 257032
Total 706484 67380 639104
still shows locked drive of unknown format - cannot reformat.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky.05

#55 Post by BarryK »

rameshiyer wrote:First time, while booting after installation of Quirky 005.ISO. it says Kernel Panic. So installed again Quirky 005 after formating again . This times Quirky booted without any problem.In Quirky 005 Java Runtime is not working in Seamonkey, though the plugins shows Java Runtime. In the case of Google Chrome, Java Runtime working . However, it takes around 5 minutes to load. In earlier version Quirky.002.ISO, Java Runtime works great. Instantly loads java runs both Seamoney and Google Chrome. Now days, almost all sites having Java script. If java runtime is not working properly, Java site is not loading fully or Browser hangs. Please lookinto future versions.

Another issue, Mplayer fails to play DVD. Even if I managed to play some individual video files, the working is not smooth and no audio support. Please pay attention to it.

It is my long pending demand for modem driver 56K Conexant Internal driver is not considered till today. Please arrange in separate pet package if difficult to provide along with ISO.

I am happy to note that sound volume is improved considerably.

Formating ext4 is not possible through Gpart . So hence installed in Ext3. I don't know Ext4 is good ?
Javascript has nothing to do with Java.

Use Ogle to play DVDs.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rameshiyer

Quirky005

#56 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Sir

I have pointed about the problem of Java Run time installation in Seamonkey and other browsers. Our ISP site also not loading properly due to Java Run Time . www.bsnl.co.in.

I will test DVD again in Ogle and let you know the status.

Thank you very much your reply. Sir.

aarf

#57 Post by aarf »

problems with some downloaded mp4 files from youtube. some will click and open while others will not. need to drag and drop them into the vacant player that opens when the mp4 file is clicked and even then sometimes it will not play the file you dragged and dropped but a previous file that you already just played before.

Roy

#58 Post by Roy »

I really, really like the idea of playing all the multimedia formats out there!

Quirky's behavior is... well, a bit quirky compared to previous Puppy distros, but that is not a show stopper by any means.

On earlier puppies, I could drag and drop a video file onto the desktop Play icon, and the file would play. On Quirky 005, performing the same action will only open MPlayer; I must again drag and drop the .avi video file into the opened MPlayer to actually play it.

On earlier puppies, I could highlight and "copy" text, switch to desktop 2, and paste the text via middle-mouse-wheel-click into a terminal (running Wget). On Quirky 005, that does not work. Instead, I must highlight and copy my text from desktop 1 and paste it into a Geany file, then save that Geany file. From desktop 2, I can then open that saved Geany file, highlight and copy the text, and middle-mouse-click paste it into the terminal.

Quirky is different.

Ethernet, video, and sound all work out of the box on a Dell D610 (2GB RAM) laptop. I don't have a printer or other extras to test with, so that's about the extent of my testing thus far.

Thank you for the multimedia capabilities! I have other guys here who have been asking me for something that works on low-RAM (256M) machines with the play-everything capability.

-Roy

EDIT: Pmusic needs to be updated (version 9.9.2 is available); Quirky 005's Pmusic version 9.9 pause/play function is not working quite right (will not resume playback). I downloaded the .pet from linked from the Pmusic thread in the software section, installed it over Quirky's earlier version, and verified correct play/pause/play function. (Poor grammar -- it's late and I'm tired.)

I realize this edit/addition is not a Quirky-specific comment (and possibly off-topic), but just in case somebody wanted to fix their function,....

I want to test Quirky on a 384MB RAM machine......

Roy

#59 Post by Roy »

Just finished a short run of Quirky 005 on a 2003 Dell Inspiron 5100 notebook. Other than not having a network connection available to test, everything appeared to work well. As a matter of fact, the notebook owner talked me out of my Quirky 005 thumbdrive so that he could use the multimedia capabilities later (which his personal XP installation does not currently support/function).

I did perform the Mplayer menu fix that Barry specified earlier in this thread.

Ogle DVD movie player worked without a hitch, although Top showed 97% user and 2% system usage for the Pentium 4 2.39GHz CPU while playing a DVD. RAM usage started out at around 153MB and climbed normally as the system buffer filled during DVD playback. This notebook has 384MB of RAM, total. I thought that the temp was running a bit high (System Hardinfo hardware information), but after a web search, see that they were about 10 degrees C below normal; the Inspiron 5100's apparently have a history of overheating.

So, the notebook owner is impressed with Puppy Linux and kept my little thumbdrive. I would say that is a pretty good endorsement!

-Roy

pakt

NLS problems

#60 Post by pakt »

Barry modified rc.country in quirky to conditionally load the module 'nls_cp850.ko' if one of these keyboard layouts is chosen:

de*|be*|br*|dk*|es*|fi*|fr*|it*|no*|se*|pt*

or load modules 'nls_cp852.ko' and 'nls_iso8859-2.ko' if one of these keyboard layouts is chosen:

cz*|hu*|pl*|ro*|sk*|croat*|slovene

Unfortunately the modules nls_cp850.ko, nls_cp852.ko and nls_iso8859-2.ko are missing in all versions of quirky. The symptom is that if one of the above keyboards is chosen, the keyboard doesn't work in X but will work if you exit to prompt. I'm a bit surprised no-one else has noticed this problem.

Similar conditionals are also located in /usr/sbin/pmount and /usr/local/bin/drive_all.

In MacPup Foxy 3.0, when I've set the keyboard to 'sv_SE', the missing module 'nls_cp850.ko' causes pmount to fail when trying to mount a USB flash drive. pmount puts up a message like "ERROR: unable to mount sdc1" and dmesg reports "FAT: codepage cp850 not found".

For some reason pmount does work in quirky although quirky and MacPup both have these conditionals in pmount:

Code: Select all

#w476 modify codepage and iocharset (note: this code also in /usr/local/bin/drive_all)...
#note, could also set iocharset=iso8859-2 (default: codepage=437, iocharset=iso8859-1)
NLS_PARAM=''
if [ -f /etc/keymap ];then #set in /etc/rc.d/rc.country
KEYMAP="cat /etc/keymap | cut -f 1 -d '.'"
case $KEYMAP in
de|be|br|dk|es|fi|fr|it|no|se|pt)
NLS_PARAM=',codepage=850'
;;
slovene|croat|hu101|hu|cz-lat2|pl|ro_win)
NLS_PARAM=',codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2'
;;
esac
fi
mount -t vfat -o shortname=mixed,quiet${NLS_PARAM} $DODEV /mnt/$DEVNAME #v411 added quiet.
pmount tries to mount the drive with the parameter ${NLS_PARAM} which is set to ',codepage=850' in my case (or ',codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2' if the keyboard is set to one of the East European layouts above).

If I change the keyboard layout in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from 'sv' to 'us' (after exiting X and using mp to edit) then restarting X, I can use the keyboard again (albeit with the wrong layout of course).
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

I guess me did give feedback that the keyboard had all keys dead if chosing swedish. So you gave a more informed and authoritative report so hopefully there can be a solution to this now then. Would be great looking forward to be able to use quirky. So thanks indeed.
Also Sweden.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pakt

#62 Post by pakt »

nooby wrote:I guess me did give feedback that the keyboard had all keys dead if chosing swedish
Good that you could confirm the problem. Tack :)

pakt

Frequency scaling governor modules missing

#63 Post by pakt »

Quirky is also missing the frequency scaling governor modules.

The folder /lib/modules/2.6.31.5/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/ is empty.

The result of this is that the only governor available to the 'CPU Frequency Scaling Tool' is 'performance' (default).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

Roy wrote:On earlier puppies, I could drag and drop a video file onto the desktop Play icon, and the file would play. On Quirky 005, performing the same action will only open MPlayer; I must again drag and drop the .avi video file into the opened MPlayer to actually play it.

On earlier puppies, I could highlight and "copy" text, switch to desktop 2, and paste the text via middle-mouse-wheel-click into a terminal (running Wget). On Quirky 005, that does not work. Instead, I must highlight and copy my text from desktop 1 and paste it into a Geany file, then save that Geany file. From desktop 2, I can then open that saved Geany file, highlight and copy the text, and middle-mouse-click paste it into the terminal.
Huh? I just tried both of these in 005, and they work as expected.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: NLS problems

#65 Post by BarryK »

pakt wrote:Barry modified rc.country in quirky to conditionally load the module 'nls_cp850.ko' if one of these keyboard layouts is chosen:

de*|be*|br*|dk*|es*|fi*|fr*|it*|no*|se*|pt*

or load modules 'nls_cp852.ko' and 'nls_iso8859-2.ko' if one of these keyboard layouts is chosen:

cz*|hu*|pl*|ro*|sk*|croat*|slovene

Unfortunately the modules nls_cp850.ko, nls_cp852.ko and nls_iso8859-2.ko are missing in all versions of quirky. The symptom is that if one of the above keyboards is chosen, the keyboard doesn't work in X but will work if you exit to prompt. I'm a bit surprised no-one else has noticed this problem.

Similar conditionals are also located in /usr/sbin/pmount and /usr/local/bin/drive_all.

In MacPup Foxy 3.0, when I've set the keyboard to 'sv_SE', the missing module 'nls_cp850.ko' causes pmount to fail when trying to mount a USB flash drive. pmount puts up a message like "ERROR: unable to mount sdc1" and dmesg reports "FAT: codepage cp850 not found".

For some reason pmount does work in quirky although quirky and MacPup both have these conditionals in pmount:

Code: Select all

#w476 modify codepage and iocharset (note: this code also in /usr/local/bin/drive_all)...
#note, could also set iocharset=iso8859-2 (default: codepage=437, iocharset=iso8859-1)
NLS_PARAM=''
if [ -f /etc/keymap ];then #set in /etc/rc.d/rc.country
KEYMAP="cat /etc/keymap | cut -f 1 -d '.'"
case $KEYMAP in
de|be|br|dk|es|fi|fr|it|no|se|pt)
NLS_PARAM=',codepage=850'
;;
slovene|croat|hu101|hu|cz-lat2|pl|ro_win)
NLS_PARAM=',codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2'
;;
esac
fi
mount -t vfat -o shortname=mixed,quiet${NLS_PARAM} $DODEV /mnt/$DEVNAME #v411 added quiet.
pmount tries to mount the drive with the parameter ${NLS_PARAM} which is set to ',codepage=850' in my case (or ',codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2' if the keyboard is set to one of the East European layouts above).

If I change the keyboard layout in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from 'sv' to 'us' (after exiting X and using mp to edit) then restarting X, I can use the keyboard again (albeit with the wrong layout of course).
# modinfo nls_cp850
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.31.5/initrd/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp850.ko
license: Dual BSD/GPL
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.31.5 SMP mod_unload modversions 486
#
# modinfo nls_iso8859-2
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.31.5/initrd/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-2.ko
license: Dual BSD/GPL
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.31.5 SMP mod_unload modversions 486