XFProt virus scanner fix for Puppy 431

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
tasmod

#16 Post by tasmod »

OK, especially for you I re-installed 431 and tried again.

I loaded f-prot and then ran my pet.

It all worked ok.

So, what Puppy are you using?

Do you have an 'xfprot' directory in /user/local

What does it contain ?

If you have, what happens when you try to run xfprot-gtk ?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

yorkiesnorkie

f-prot xfprot

#17 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Tasmod,

Thanks for going to all that trouble. I'm running puppy 4.3.1. I have it installed on two different machines, one is an old Compaq Presario and this one is an IBM 380. Neither will run the GUI.

I just re-installed 4.3.1 to the laptop the other day and ran the xfprot "installer" from the menu. I do have the /usr/local/f-prot and /usr/local/xfprot folders after the installation. I just tried to open a terminal at /usr/local/f-prot and run fpscan on the laptop, and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

# fpscan
Illegal instruction
When I run xfprot from the menu on the laptop: Menu/Utility/X-prot virus scanner, I get the you are running as root message, followed by the cannot detect version message and the gui stops.

Now, on the Compaq I can run xfprot from the command line, and it works.

The XFprot directory on the laptop contains:
a directory called icons
copying
eicar.com
xfprot-gtk
Xfprot_scan
Xfprot_update

When I open a terminal window there and run xfprot-gtk from the command line:

Code: Select all

# xfprot-gtk 
bash: xfprot-gtk: command not found
Note I have not applied your patches to either pc, however I'm wondering if fpscan should be working first as a pre-requisite.

Y.[/code]
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

tasmod

#18 Post by tasmod »

Try

./xfprot-gtk

If you get the "running as root" then "version" messages then you are there but need to run my pet, then it should continue on.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

yorkiesnorkie

Still No Joy

#19 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Rob,

thanks for the help! Well, ./xfprot-gtk does open the gui, but sadly I get no further than I do when I run it from the menu on the laptop. Basically, I end up with the can't detect the version message and the only option quits, even with your patch applied.

There's something deeper going on here with regard to f-prot itself since it won't run from the comand line. Since I"m using frugal, I'm going to replace the sfs file and take another run at the install.

Y.

Kanyimbe

Re: f-prot xfprot

#20 Post by Kanyimbe »

This is my experience too.
yorkiesnorkie wrote:
When I run xfprot from the menu on the laptop: Menu/Utility/X-prot virus scanner, I get the you are running as root message, followed by the cannot detect version message and the gui stops.

Y.[/code]

yorkiesnorkie

Re: f-prot xfprot

#21 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Kanyimbe wrote:This is my experience too.
yorkiesnorkie wrote:

Y.[/code]
Hi Kanyimbe,

I thought that I should let you know I found that, while the XFProt Gui doesn't appear to work, FProt itself actually does get installed via the Puppy 4.3.1 menu. So you can run FProt from the command line if the XFProt Front end GUI will not work for you. You need to open a terminal:
If you wish to perform a normal scan, please type the following and press Enter:
f-prot /(type path of file(s) to be scanned)
Further directions and the command line scan options can be found here:
http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles ... index.html
I actually found it just as convenient to use the terminal, since you can open it in whatever directory you are in by right clicking and opening the terminal there. Then the path you have to type is much shorter! ;)

Y.