Quirky 006 feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
timremy

#16 Post by timremy »

hello mr barry

tried quirky 006.

on inteli m proc 900mhz:

had to search for wifi twice then connected.

listening to a radio station i thought i would download some

mp3's. when i hit save target link, the screen just flickered. had

to stop listening to the radio station then i could download mp3's.

on intel dual core:

have to reconnect to etho evrytime. thats ok, it only takes a

second.

timremy

bigpup

Mplayer no sound

#17 Post by bigpup »

Sound will not work in Mplayer. Video is fine. I have tried changing settings, but nothing gets sound working.

Pmusic works with no problems.

Precord mp3 recorder/player works no problems.

PupRadio no sound.

Any help?

haines

Danish language

#18 Post by haines »

I am not able to use danish font in 006,
Is okay in 003 and 005

Best regards
haines

adi

keyboard layout problem

#19 Post by adi »

Setting does not function for Romanian (ro) keyboard at boot (it should look like păî, lşţ, 0+'â) . After boot it still remains US keyboard layout. Quirky 005 were ok.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

morie posted a fix for /usr/bin/xwin. There was a typo in my new code that sets the keyboard layout to correctly match that chosen for the console.

Attached:
Attachments
xwin.gz
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: keyboard layout problem

#21 Post by BarryK »

adi wrote:Setting does not function for Romanian (ro) keyboard at boot (it should look like păî, lşţ, 0+'â) . After boot it still remains US keyboard layout. Quirky 005 were ok.
If /etc/X11/xorg.conf has this:

Option "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0

...replace "us" with "ro"

Your file /etc/keymap should have 'ro' in it.

Your file /etc/codepage should have '852' in it.

Are you using the 'pkeys' kernel boot parameter? If so, don't, as it is broken.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Danish language

#22 Post by BarryK »

haines wrote:I am not able to use danish font in 006,
Is okay in 003 and 005

Best regards
haines
Can you check that all of these are correct:

/etc/keymap should have 'dk' in it.
/etc/codepage should have '850' in it.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf should have this line:
Option "XkbLayout" "dk" #xkeymap0

Let me know if any are wrong, and if correcting them fixed it.

If still not right, is it ok when you exit X to the console?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Mplayer no sound

#23 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:Sound will not work in Mplayer. Video is fine. I have tried changing settings, but nothing gets sound working.

PupRadio no sound.

Any help?

I compiled mplayer with oss only, no alsa support. I did this because the alsa setting caused a weird problem in Gnome-mplayer.
Hmmm, I might have to recompile mplayer with alsa support enabled.

However, oss should work. In Gnome-mplayer, the preferences has a selection for audio output, try setting that specifically to 'oss' -- it may be that Gnome-mplayer is confused by your system and is trying to use some other audio mode.

bigpup

Mplayer no sound

#24 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:
Sound will not work in Mplayer. Video is fine. I have tried changing settings, but nothing gets sound working.

PupRadio no sound.

Any help?

I compiled mplayer with oss only, no alsa support. I did this because the alsa setting caused a weird problem in Gnome-mplayer.
Hmmm, I might have to recompile mplayer with alsa support enabled.

However, oss should work. In Gnome-mplayer, the preferences has a selection for audio output, try setting that specifically to 'oss' -- it may be that Gnome-mplayer is confused by your system and is trying to use some other audio mode.
Barry,

Changed to OSS and I now get sound. I guess I had my tongue out the left side of my mouth, the first time I tried this. This time, I put it out the right side and it worked!

Now all is good with Mplayer.

rjbrewer

#25 Post by rjbrewer »

Inspiron 4000, 800ghz, 500mb ram,
ati rage graphics, maestro 3 snd.

Gnome-mplayer plays video files well, mp4, flv, wmv, asf.

Plays dvd movie fine.

Dvd music video (Cure-Trilogy) plays menu okay, but clicking
any track on video kills the sound. Tried oss, didn't help.

Resource usage:

Compared it to Vlc-0.8.6h-engv5 on a 4.1.2 install.
Uses same amount of ram playing videos, dvds; excellent.
Cpu on vlc has 40-50% idle on dvds; cpu on gnome-mplayer
is pegged at 100%; not so good.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Mplayer no sound

#26 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:
bigpup wrote:

Changed to OSS and I now get sound. I guess I had my tongue out the left side of my mouth, the first time I tried this. This time, I put it out the right side and it worked!

Now all is good with Mplayer.
I have modified the Gnome-mplayer PET package so that it has this file in it, /root/.mplayer/config:

[default]

[gnome-mplayer]
msglevel=all=5
vo=x11
vf=eq2
zoom=1
ao=oss

...x11 is the slowest video output, but an earlier post reported that Gnome-mplayer video didn't work until 'x11' was explicitly selected.

I will recompile the mplayer package with alsa enabled, as that is likely the cause of no sound with pupradio.

bigpup

PupRadio sound

#27 Post by bigpup »

Barry,

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that when I got Mplayer working, PupRadio now works. In PupRadio, under preferred player, Mplayer is the only thing that you can select.

alsa being enabled would be nice. I and I would think others, us it as the default for sound.

withoutpity

Something about ntfs

#28 Post by withoutpity »

Hello mr BarryK, I complied gnome-2.29.5 for quirky and found that NTFS partition can only be loaded readable by Devicekit-disks, can not write to it.
After run
ln -s -f /bin/ntfs-3g /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g
ln -s -f /bin/ntfs-3g /sbin/mount.ntfs
everything is ok now.
Maybe someone will meet this question later ?

haines

Re: Danish language

#29 Post by haines »

Can you check that all of these are correct:

/etc/keymap should have 'dk' in it.
/etc/codepage should have '850' in it.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf should have this line:
Option "XkbLayout" "dk" #xkeymap0

Let me know if any are wrong, and if correcting them fixed it.

If still not right, is it ok when you exit X to the console?
[/quote]
I have manually changed the parameters as you have described above, and everything is OK also in the console, but I have to change Abiword Tools -Language every time I use it. It seems that I can't save.

And thank you for your help.

I am still interested in making your distributions available for people better understanding danish than english.
Latest news from the Danish government:(Translated by me) From april 2011 all public offices are forced to work with ODF = Open sources. Another reason to make Puppy more available for the danes.
Haines

tronkel

#30 Post by tronkel »

German keyboard layout setting does not seem to be retained despite having been set up in the Puppy XORG setup screen.

This has to be fixed by editing the keyboard input device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from 'us' to 'de' and similarly for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSHPw1907

Same problem still exists with setting up WLAN0 as was the case with Quirky 005. Workaround is to use the network wizard to scan for available WIFI access points and then quitting. Then use PWIRELESS to rescan for the access point and then acquire the IP-address via DHCP.

Apart from that, all's well on the western front. (old WW1 expression for everything's OK around these parts - not that I'm old enough to remember WW1)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

adi

keyboard set from menu

#31 Post by adi »

From desktop I used menu/setup/mouse/keyboard wizard and then "Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration" and it worked. Now all files are as shown in your post. Thanks! Hope to work from boot in Quirky 007.

01micko

Re: PupRadio sound

#32 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to tell you that when I got Mplayer working, PupRadio now works. In PupRadio, under preferred player, Mplayer is the only thing that you can select.
Hello bigpup

In pupRadio there is a mechanism to detect what compatible players are on on your system. If there is only mplayer then that is all that will be in choices. In standard Puppy it is gxine, but many install mplayer or xine, so if either or both of those are installed then they show up in the pupRadio prefered player list. It is a feature. I could make it automatic and just use the default but I like the idea of the choice.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

PupRadio sound

#33 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:
In pupRadio there is a mechanism to detect what compatible players are on on your system. If there is only mplayer then that is all that will be in choices. In standard Puppy it is gxine, but many install mplayer or xine, so if either or both of those are installed then they show up in the pupRadio prefered player list. It is a feature. I could make it automatic and just use the default but I like the idea of the choice.
Please keep the prefered player feature in PupRadio. It is one of the many good features. Quirky 006 only has Gnome-Mplayer and that is the only choice that you have for PupRadio. I was letting Barry know, that because Mplayer was not working for me, it made PupRadio not work.

This would be good info in PupRadio help.
I'm a bigpup, not a bigdog, so any info is good info!

josephdowdy

Feedback 0.0.6

#34 Post by josephdowdy »

I'm totally new to Puppy, so give me a break if I'm not really helping here...

1. t2-8.0rc-official bug?

I opened the Puppy Package Mgr and tried to add t2-8.0rc-official, closed the app, reopened it and tried to download updates and it crashed. I reopened and tried it again and it crashed again.

So, I rebooted, didn't save any changes to the OS and tried it again and was able to reproduce the prob.

2. VirtualBox is unavailable in any of the repositories. Can you bring back the Karmic Universal source?

3. I installed FireFox but it doesn't appear on the menu. I did run the fixmenus command from the command line and it ran, but still no FF. I will reboot and if it appears, I will update this post. (I was able to execute FireFox from the prompt.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: PupRadio sound

#35 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:01micko wrote:
Please keep the prefered player feature in PupRadio. It is one of the many good features. Quirky 006 only has Gnome-Mplayer and that is the only choice that you have for PupRadio. I was letting Barry know, that because Mplayer was not working for me, it made PupRadio not work.

This would be good info in PupRadio help.
I'm a bigpup, not a bigdog, so any info is good info!
bigpup,
mplayer seems to be confused about the audio. Gnome-mplayer is only a GUI for mplayer, and you can fix it by specifically choosing 'oss' audio in the Preferences.

Ditto, pupRadio could do that, but better yet, in Q007 the mplayer executable will be alsa-enabled, which should fix your problem for both Gnome-mplayer and mplayer.

As to whether 01micko offers Gnome-mplayer as a player option, that depends on what he wants, a bare window (mplayer) only, or the full-blown GUI of Gnome-mplayer.