Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."

Booting, installing, newbie
Antipodal

Updating the readers (part 1)

#46 Post by Antipodal »

I downloaded md5sum.exe to the same folder where I had Lupo511.iso

I worked hard trying to check the iso with it but couldn't find in my screen many of the clues that appeared in the guides I was using to do it.

So, I decided to burn 3 CDs (not DVDs) without the md5sum test.

After burning I left the last one in the drive.

I restarted the computer.

There were no signs of Windows XP and the Puppy's image appeared.

I hadn't time to press the F2 key and while Puppy was loading the kernel, to RAM the computer was powered off.

I tried again, I had time to press F2 and choose "puppy pfix=ram" and I reached Puppy's desk!! :lol: .

I thought I was saved.

Now I had to choose the Internet connection.

I had two options. I remember that one of them was labelled with the word "Etho" and the other one with the word "Windows".

Fearing getting caught by M$ again, I clicked "Etho" and the computer was immediately powered off. :cry:

Since then, I have tried many times to boot from the same Puppy Lupo CD using (and not using) “puppy pfix=ram
Last edited by Antipodal on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Antipodal

Updating the readers (part 2)

#47 Post by Antipodal »

As I have explained in previous posts on this thread (Sun 07 Mar 2010 17:08 and Thu 25 Nov 2010 14:07) in the period extending from the first days of February 2010 to the first days of October, with the DVD in the drive, when I switched on the computer, Puppy's screen didn't appear, the system booted smoothly into XP and I only had the problems that everybody has using XP.

Since the first days of October 2010 when I changed my LiteOn DVD drive for a new Samsung DVD drive, things have changed and though I've described what has happened with Puppy I haven't told you what has happened with XP.

That is because at first I thought they were irrelevant coincidences that were distorted by my imagination. But because as time passes and the more I insist in booting with Puppy the more bizarre are the symptoms I feel the need of describing what has been happening.

I will do that in my next post because the description is rather complex and I must now meet some postponed obligations.

I apologize.

Regards

jyore

#48 Post by jyore »

Well, you booted into puppy this time soooooooo...WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS!!!! :D :D :D

eth0 would be the correct interface for a wired Ethernet connection...I am unsure why it crashed when you tried to configure the interface...

when you boot now, you say it fails when loading the image to RAM...can you post the error message it gives when it fails?

Antipodal

CONNECTED THROUGH LUCID PUPPY & MIDORI 0.2.2!!!!!!

#49 Post by Antipodal »

I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AND FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shep

#50 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:I hadn't time to press the F2 key and while Puppy was loading the kernel, to RAM the computer was powered off.
To deal with unreliable booting, you will need others to give advice, as it's not something I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. My only suggestion is that you look back at your own post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=39 and try the acpi=off idea. During boot-up, press <F2> and type: puppy acpi=off pfix=ram

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. But at least you have shown the live CD is a practicable proposition, even if it was a fluke. :)

Not all puppies are compatible with all hardware. It could turn out that you need to try a different puppy. If stuck for help, maybe try puppy Squeeze next. I think its known as Dpup 009 but there may be a newer version out. I'm not specifically recommending it for you, as I don't know enough about it, but I like the Dpup family. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=990

But now try your old Pup431 live DVD and see whether it's behaving any better.

If you successfully boot into puppy, you can use puppy to check the md5sum of any file or DVD.
MENU >UTILITY >RXVT TERMINAL and type on the command line as I described earlier.

obxjerry

#51 Post by obxjerry »

I may have a different prospective that may help in this case. As my signature says, "It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others". I have a 100 cd spindle of blanks. They were cheap when I bought them and I've had them for years. I've burned quite a few into Linux live cds. They work for awhile. They work in some drives but not others. They work some times and not others and occasionally will start to load but then shut the computer down. I usually grab another cd I've burned and go on. Sometimes, if I can find a Sharpie, I'll write coaster on one that's bad. If I use better cds I have much better reliability.

For years all I did with cds was burn music to them. That's a good use for cheap cds. When I started burning bootable cds my standards changed. I see a lot of bad cds. That's what this looks like to me.

Just in case someone remembers the problems I was having in March with 3 computers, this was NOT the problem then.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing

jyore

Re: CONNECTED THROUGH LUCID PUPPY & MIDORI 0.2.2!!!!!!

#52 Post by jyore »

Antipodal wrote:I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AND FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Awesome!!! Glad you finally are back up and running!!! That was certainly an interesting ordeal. Hope it is smooth sailing for you from now on.

Antipodal

Thanking Shep, obxjerry & jyore...

#53 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you for your support and comments, Shep,obxjerry & jyore!! :)

Shep’s right. I’m dealing with unreliable bootings. :?

After a planned shutdown I tried booting with puppy acpi=off pfix=ram but I ended in an unplanned shutdown approximately when I was going by the “switch root to the layered file system

Ruals

#54 Post by Ruals »

Hi!

I don`t think your problems is neither the cd or cd-rom.
It may be bad sectors on your hard disk or something like that.
Try to wipe out your hard disk and restart without the hard disk connected. If that does not help, try the same with the RAM chips.

Antipodal

Thank you for your time, Ruals

#55 Post by Antipodal »

Hi Ruals!
you wrote: It may be bad sectors on your hard disk
How can that happen if I'm using puppy pfix=ram while booting and the 'puter shuts down while the screen shows
waiting for modules complete loading
to RAM :?: :!:
you also wrote: Try to wipe out your hard disk...
What do you mean by that :?:

Shep

#56 Post by Shep »

Ruals wrote:Try to wipe out your hard disk
I doubt that OP will consider trying this. :shock: :shock:

I have wondered about RAM--despite no documented problems with XP. (Though, now you mention it, OP has hinted darkly at something odd with XP ...... )

There is no reason why he shouldn't reseat the chips though. As he assembled it himself, he should feel comfortable pulling out each RAM module and pushing it back in. Blow any dust from the sockets before reinserting module. That has cured many a boot or runtime problem, and is easy to try.

Good suggestion.

Shep

Re: Thanking Shep, obxjerry & jyore...

#57 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:Removing the power supply and the CMOS/BIOS battery during all night and using F2 / puppy pfix=ram is what has worked better until now. :!:
That would return bios settings to factory default, though I can't see that that would offer any help here.

Ruals

#58 Post by Ruals »

With "wipe-out" I mean physically disconnect the hard disk.
I got a laptop from a friend with exactly the same problems, and the same error message.
It was impossible to start the live CD with this computer.
I took out the hard drive, and then it started immediately.
Although everything is loaded to ram, it will be read during startup from the hard disk.
I guess everyone has noticed that on the desktop are icons that show your drives.
This can not puppy know anything about, if not reading info from the drives.
Do not claim that this is the solution for you, but worth a try.
If nothing else than for the elimination.

Shep

Re: Updating the readers (part 2)

#59 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:when I changed my LiteOn DVD drive for a new Samsung DVD drive, things have changed and though I've described what has happened with Puppy I haven't told you what has happened with XP.
Please, do tell. 8)

Antipodal

#60 Post by Antipodal »

Hi Shep!!!
you wrote: Please, do tell. 8)
I was about to do that when a new problem appeared.
If you want to know the details you can see this:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62823
As soon as I have solved this new problem I'll tell you what was happening with XP.
Regards

Shep

#61 Post by Shep »

I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. :(

Where long wires come from outside, anticipate damage from spikes induced by a nearby lightning strike, viz., power supply, and modem. With any luck these first-in-line elements will have sacrificed themselves thereby protecting the remainder.

You may be able to test your monitor by connecting it to a borrowed laptop. I plug mine into a laptop for a larger display.

On hearing this news, I am forced to revise my estimate to Xmas 2013. :cry:

Antipodal

#62 Post by Antipodal »

Shep wrote:I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. :(
I had also thought of that, but I've already made my mind, if there must be another battle I won't avoid it.
So I hope I'll soon continue with the story of what happened since the first days of October.
Because the story is about what happened with XP while I was trying to boot Puppy, I'm considering the possibility of opening a new thread about this topic in Taking the Puppy out for a walk / Misc.
But before doing that I would like to know what moderators think about my thoughts.

rfry85

Same trouble ony 2 years Later!

#63 Post by rfry85 »

I recently was trying to install puppy on an old satellite Laptop that my Mom wanted for a specific purpose. It already had Windows XP on it. Right off the bat I got the same kernel panic error as described above. I tried 4 or five different versions of puppy on cd. The first to actually load was a Macpuppy cd. But on further attempts at booting the cd I would get a kernel panic error!
But every now and again it would load. So on one of my successful attempts I did a frugal hard drive install. I never got that to boot. I just got the kernel panic error. So I started searching the forums and landed here.

Someone maybe Shep or maybe someone else suggested it may be a memory problem. Well since I was getting the error on my hard disk install, I knew it wasn't the medium!

I then ran a memory test and sure enough, the computer failed. So i'm pretty sure it is a memory problem! I can't say for sure since it is the built in 128mb memory that seems to be failing on the pc, and I have no way to replace it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this incase someone ever runs into this again. Maybe it will help.
I realize this is an old post but I figured it couldn't hurt adding to it!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#64 Post by Flash »

With only 128 MB of RAM, it's no wonder you're having problems. Have you made any swap memory on the hard disk, or in a USB flash drive?

rfry85

I misled you

#65 Post by rfry85 »

I have an additional 128mb in a removable chip.