Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."

Booting, installing, newbie
Shep

Re: Updating the readers (part 2)

#61 Post by Shep »

I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. :(

Where long wires come from outside, anticipate damage from spikes induced by a nearby lightning strike, viz., power supply, and modem. With any luck these first-in-line elements will have sacrificed themselves thereby protecting the remainder.

You may be able to test your monitor by connecting it to a borrowed laptop. I plug mine into a laptop for a larger display.

On hearing this news, I am forced to revise my estimate to Xmas 2013. :cry:

Antipodal

Re: Updating the readers (part 2)

#62 Post by Antipodal »

Shep wrote:I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. :(
I had also thought of that, but I've already made my mind, if there must be another battle I won't avoid it.
So I hope I'll soon continue with the story of what happened since the first days of October.
Because the story is about what happened with XP while I was trying to boot Puppy, I'm considering the possibility of opening a new thread about this topic in Taking the Puppy out for a walk / Misc.
But before doing that I would like to know what moderators think about my thoughts.

rfry85

Same trouble ony 2 years Later!

#63 Post by rfry85 »

I recently was trying to install puppy on an old satellite Laptop that my Mom wanted for a specific purpose. It already had Windows XP on it. Right off the bat I got the same kernel panic error as described above. I tried 4 or five different versions of puppy on cd. The first to actually load was a Macpuppy cd. But on further attempts at booting the cd I would get a kernel panic error!
But every now and again it would load. So on one of my successful attempts I did a frugal hard drive install. I never got that to boot. I just got the kernel panic error. So I started searching the forums and landed here.

Someone maybe Shep or maybe someone else suggested it may be a memory problem. Well since I was getting the error on my hard disk install, I knew it wasn't the medium!

I then ran a memory test and sure enough, the computer failed. So i'm pretty sure it is a memory problem! I can't say for sure since it is the built in 128mb memory that seems to be failing on the pc, and I have no way to replace it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this incase someone ever runs into this again. Maybe it will help.
I realize this is an old post but I figured it couldn't hurt adding to it!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#64 Post by Flash »

With only 128 MB of RAM, it's no wonder you're having problems. Have you made any swap memory on the hard disk, or in a USB flash drive?

rfry85

I misled you

#65 Post by rfry85 »

I have an additional 128mb in a removable chip.

69jakk

Re: Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."

#66 Post by 69jakk »

[quote="Antipodal"]
“Performing ‘switch root to the layered file system…Kernel panic – Not syncing: Attempted to kill init